PS2 Emulation on Mac?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I own a PS2 and have some games for it. I'm wondering if there is a PS2 emulator that works on Mac OSX, PPC or intel based that is straight forward to install? Online research has turned up little useful info,

Thanks!

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've not yet heard much on PS2 emulators for PC/Mac

Admittedly PS2 is more system intensive then SNES,but I think the hardware to do it exist(proven by PS3 emulating it)..still not quite main stream yet, sorry(that I know of, others might know more)

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

ps2 emulation is just a possibility right now. just as dolphin for gamecube is pretty much just a concept.

i was thinking about this today actually because i found an old gran turismo game and my brother's ps3 wouldn't play it.

it's ridiculous that some ps2 games can be emulated yet you can't play every one, or every PSX game

4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

PS2 emulation on either Windows or Mac are going to be scarce. Why? Because of the way the Graphics Synthesizer handles it's extremely fast DRAM bus bandwidth. It's 2560-bit wide :eek:, so it's like the CPU's main memory is completely JACKED into the GPU. It's still one of the fastest buses, even compared to today GPUs, albeit very small one. It's the one aspect of the PS2 that still hasn't been trumpeted yet, making it one of the hardest parts to emulate.

Most developers had to stream textures, etc, from the main memory to the Graphics Synthesizers measly 4MB cache, making it even more difficult to emulate.

5. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

http://www.pcsx2.net/ - however you'd need to play hard with Fink in order to get it working on a Mac from the Linux version.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

or cross over... that works fine for my emulating N64 games with Project64

7. zedr0n macrumors newbie

hm...

Google is your best friend :)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=pcsx2+mac

And no, it's not just fink(honestly though, fink/macports are bloated, mac natively supports most linux stuff, why use it?), i had to port all asm code to nasm, and spend weeks in gdb ;)

More debugging weeks coming with the 0.9.6 ...