PS2 to Be $99 Big ps3 announcment Tuesday.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

there have been leaks around the net today that ps2 will get the long awaited $99 cut today This will kick of sonys next fiscal year april 4th and there are currently rummors flying sony has a ps3 announcment tuesday from various ps3 sites that expecting to be either the 299 ps3 or the next big firmware update for ps3 wich has been rumored to have in game voice chat and invites or could be both.

heres the link for the ps2 being drop http://n4g.com/ps2/NewsCom-302423.aspx?CT=2#Comments

2. evan g macrumors regular

Hmm. Interesting. I actually never thought about it, but lowering the price of the PS2 is a smart idea!

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I hope it isn't a price cut...I just bought a PS3 in the marketplace yesterday!

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

me too, I bought one about a month ago. Although seems a bit selfish on everyone else:eek:

5. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

actaully target has a great deal for the PS 3 this week get Resistance FOM and the first Motorstorm game and a 80 gig ps3 i think or 40 gig cant rember for 400

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You mean the PS3 still doesn't have ingame voice chat and invites? I mostly use mine as a Blu-ray player nowadays, but as I recall games had voice chat when it launched...

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

How many more years can Sony milk out of the PS2? It's time to let it go. In fact, I think their continued support of the PS2 platform is one of the reasons the PS3 is doing poorly in North America.

Personally, I think it's time for Sony to spin off their different divisions into separate companies. The only Sony executive that had any real vision for mass PS3 appeal was Phil Harrison (former SCEE boss), and Sony's Japanese execs pushed him out.

I have a 60GB launch console that I absolutely love, but no one I know owns a PS3.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If a ps2 price drop is Sony's big announcement then thats pretty pathetic, it would actually be funny because it would show how out of touch with reality theyve become.

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I would have paid $50 for a PS2 the other year. Who are these people still buying PS2s? Anyways, if Sony can still get $99 for such a dated console, they're doing something right.

10. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Backwards compatibility would be the greatest software update Sony could ever release for the PS3. :cool::rolleyes:

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I got the PS3 Christmas 2007 for $299 after the Sony Credit Card rebate.

Just this last Christmas (2008) they had it for $199 after the Sony Card rebate.

I assume they're just going to drop the price to $299...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh my yes.
    The problem with the PS2 is the video output, if they released a HDMI version all would be okay. I want to play PS2 games but don't have the free ports any more, I'd rather not use up another plug socket, have another set of controllers.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Sony: No plans for PS3 price cut, rumors false

"As we have stated previously, we do not have plans for a PS3 price drop, and any rumors to that effect are false and are the result of speculation," the statement from SCEA public relations manager Al De Leon reads. "SCEA remains focused on the long-term momentum of PS3. With the industry's best software lineup this year, combined with our most aggressive marketing campaign to date, we remain confident in our approach and the value we're delivering with PS3."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/30/sony-has-no-plans-for-a-ps3-price-drop-calls-rumors-false/

Sigh. :(

14. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Apparently it is a "hardware" thing, and that is why Sony stopped the backwards compatibility after 2 models of the PS3 (which are now no longer being sold). Because it was very expensive to put the backwards hardware in the PS3.

Damn you Sony and your cheap business plans.

If only they could get *Apple* to figure out how to make it a software update! :D

15. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

of course sony is not going to confirm anything that means if they do they lose what ever amount of sales they get between now and when the price drop hits.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Me. :eek: My old "phat" PS2 bit the dust back in January, bought a replacement about a month ago. Damn...

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. PS2 at $99. Which is good for you Americans, like.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

t3h !nt3Rw3z blew this one..... UNLESS THIS IS THE FAKEOUT AND THE REAL PS3 MEGATON IS LATER! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I doubt that.

Glad I got my 60GB model :cool:

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And they're not dropping the price in the UK. Balls.

21. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Sony can do a software emulator quite easily. They did it perfectly with the PSP for ps1 games, some people have done it already on PC's despite having to start from scratch with no help from Sony at figuring out how the PS2 works. Its emulation, the hardware doesnt matter if its an efficient emulator. They just dont want to because they cant charge $99 for a firmware update.

Maybe one day when the PS2 finally dies and they decide to start offering PS2 games on PSN (which Im sure will happen eventually)

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

All PS3's have PS1 backwords compatibility. The PS2 requires hardware that Sony took out in order to save costs. There are emulators out there but most of them are horrible and only work 100% with a very select few games.

23. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

24. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

They added PS1 support to the PSP, which is a lot less powerful than even the PS2. The point of an emulator is to not need the original hardware, since its.. emulated. Really, anything can be emulated.

Sony could do it easily, they know exactly how the PS2 and PS3 works, which is the #1 factor in making a good emulator since they can take advantage of hardware acceleration. The fact that a group of amateurs with almost no information on the PS2 architecture could make a PS2 emulator that actually works proves that the PS2 isnt so strange that it cant be emulated.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not entirely sure about that. Nintendo know how their games work yet they haven't ported a SuperFX game to the Virtual Console game yet. Sega knew how their sound chips worked yet nothing has 100% emulated the Mega Drive sound chip yet.