PS3 Basic questions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by plaidhippo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. plaidhippo macrumors member

Hi all,
    I posted these questions to Sony's web site and also looked for answers there, but had no success. If anyone could just answer these questions, I would be much obliged! Not trying to start a flame war, I just want to know these simple answers!

Thanks,
    Ashish

1. Is there any difference between the 80gb model and 160gb model other than hard drive space?
    2. Is there an actual internet browser (like Firefox or Opera) for the PS3, or can I only connect to Sony specific sites (like xbox live)?
    3. Are there any models of the PS3 which are still for sale and are backwards compatible with PS2?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

1) i believe it is just capacity but you do get a game whereas the 80 gig one you dont

2)yes there is a browser and can access the whole internet

3) all the new models are no longer backwards compaitble

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Here's some for sale on amazon.com. They are pretty expensive because they are not made anymore.

4. JLatte macrumors 6502

Wait, so if I walk into gamestop and buy the newest PS3, I can't play a PS2 game on it? Sorry I didn't know this, I was just planning on getting one in the next few months and wanted to play some Final Fantasy games on it.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Correct. You better keep your PS2... I did.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i want to say guaranteed backwards compatibility is gone as they no longer have the physical ps2 hardware included. however, it may be the case that any ps2 compatibility is gone

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/26/tabulator-comparing-the-playstation-3-skus/
    http://bombmatt.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/playstation-3-backwards-compatibility-demystified/

7. JLatte macrumors 6502

That's a bummer because I don't even have a PS2 lol. I wanted to buy a PS2 and play all the older FF games and then get a few new ones for the PS3. I guess I could just pick up a cheap used PS2 as well.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think the main reason why they got rid of the backwards compatibility was because it made the PS3 more expensive, and they are still making PS2 games so they are still selling PS2s.

9. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys! :)

As for the 80gb/160gb, do owners of the console find themselves actually using the hard drive space? Or is it easy to just stream from a drive connected to my airport extreme? Can any owners justify choosing one over the other? I find my 20gb xbox hd is always full of demos, do users usually fill their 80gb?

Is the internet browser any good? Is it legible given various resolutions many web sites use? I found the Wii browser actually works really well, just curioius how good/bad this one may be. Also, is it kept up to date with plugins like flash and the like that many sites use?

I actually posted my initial questions from the start of this thread to Sony's support site and only got the backwards compatability question answered (pretty useless "support"!!), and that was after 4 days!!

Hi,

Thank you for writing us.

We apologize, SCEA does not sell the Playstation(R) computer entertainment system directly to our consumers.

We do NOT offer any trade-in policy to allow trading for any Playstation(R) products.

You could check with retailers, locally and on-line, for any stock remaining that has the backwards compatibility features.

There is not any now, nor will there ever be, any updates that will provide this feature of backwards compatibility with Playstation(R) 2 computer entertainment system games for any PS3 that does not already support backwards compatibility with PS2 format software titles.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

the web browser is okay in a pinch. I think they just updated it a bit back with a better flash player (?)

And if you just wanna play FF's, I am 99% sure that the new models can player PSone games no problem. So you couldn't play FFX/X-2/XII but you could play 1 though 9, plus FFT.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

keep in mind that unlike the 360, you can upgrade your hd with any 2.5 sata drive.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ True and like many I've already done that.

How much drive space do you need ? Well it depends on how many games you have. I own 25+ and the majority install stuff to the HDD. There is no chance I would have been able to get away with the poxy 40/60GB HDD's that came with my PS3's.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You can always delete the save data if you are not playing the game anymore so it shouldn't be a problem....but I recommend updating your HDD so you don't have to go through the hassle.

Bless

14. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Wrong. The 60Gb PS3 (discontinued) had hardware support for the games. The newer PS3's have only software support, so instead of running it natively the PS3 would run the games in a software emulation. The games still work, but there may be slight (extremely slight) issues while playing.

Edit: Ooh, i lied. The last generation 80Gb was software. Not anymore

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yup. Sony went from offering PS3's with full backward compatibility to software only backward compatibility to no backward compatibility.

I love my 60GB PS3 (that's now at 250GB).

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Show off... mines only 160 :(

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

18. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Me too, minus about 190GB

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I love my 80gb (still 80gb) I got last year, back when they still made backwards compatible ones :).

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've used both of those and tbh they are both a bit of a fail. Seriously my intel atom based msi wind outperforms the PS3 as a computer.....

21. evan g macrumors regular

Man, I'm still using a 40GB.... I forgot how to make it bigger...

22. Airforc macrumors newbie

Ps3

the original ps3 1g 20gb and 1g 60 gb along with 2g 80gb play ps2 games but newer ones wont when the ps2 retires in 2010 the ps3 will become backwards compatible also rumor going around that ps3s(playstation 3 slimline) reported to come out december 08 will b backwards compatible with a 60 gb hard drive

P.S. 360 sucks
    P.S.S. i am a home beta tester believe me when i say it will blow your minds please buy a ps3 they are the top game systems on the market for compatibility also ps3 will last till 2015 unlike 360

-AirforcProductions

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!! Yeah right!!! Because suddenly a magic fairy waves her wand and the world is a much bigger and brighter place...

HA HA HA!! Joker!!! Yeah Sony are cutting 8000 jobs world wide, putting up all their prices in January worldwide and in the interim; your expecting them to release a slim PS3 this month? HA HA HA!!!

But i'm sure your right.. Yes a Slim PS3 in time for christmas.

You just lost any credibility right there... oh wait did you have any credibility?

Your not that special... You see a lot of us here have the pleasure of playing HOME BETA and if anything ... it is that which clearly 'sucks', especially in its current form.

Let me make this clear, I love my PS3's... For yes I have two of them, which makes me clearly twice as special as you ;). However your post is nothing but pure nonsense.

24. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You been hittin the sauce this morning MRU? :p

I'm still disappointed they took away PS2 compatibility, but hey, it wasn't exactly the best looking picture that stuff was outputting anyway. Glad I still have a fat PS2... and a 360... not really missin a wii tho.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL :p Or maybe too much sauce from the night before ;)
    My nonsense tolerance levels are on a low this morning....

You should be careful about missing a wii.... one too many and your peepee might explode with all the pressure :D