PS3 Firmware 2.0 Finally...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 7, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/11/07/exclusive-the-first-details-of-ps3-firmware-2-00/

You've been waiting for it. Firmware 2.00 is finally coming out this week: tomorrow, to be precise. This update, which has been a year in the making, was supposed to herald a new era of functionality for PS3. Many expected in-game XMB, additional video codecs, and more. However, we're saddened to say that none of that made the cut for this update. Here's what you'll be seeing tomorrow:

* Remote Start - As hinted by the last PSP firmware update, Remote Play has been enhanced with a brand new feature. Using Remote Start, PSP owners will be able to turn on and access their PS3's content from any wi-fi hotspot. For example, while vacationing, you may find out about an excellent Thursday Store update. You'll be able to turn on your PS3 and start downloading content to your PS3 while you're away. When you're done, you can turn the system off as well.
    * Information Board - On the upper right-hand corner of the XMB, you'll see a scrolling list of headlines, hand-picked by Sony. Currently, these will all be related to video games and PlayStation. If a specific headline is particularly interesting, PS3 owners will be able to access Information Board from Network and see the content in greater detail. Importing your own RSS feeds is something that's planned for a future firmware upgrade. This feature can be disabled in Settings.

* Themes - PSP owners recently got access to the ability to create custom themes for their system. PS3 owners will also get this feature. Not only will you be able to customize your wallpaper, you'll be able to change the icons and fonts used in the XMB. An official theme creator will be available for the PC, so users will be able to create their own and share with their friends. Additionally, new themes will be made available on PlayStation.com and the PLAYSTATION Store. The best user-generated themes will also be featured on the official site.
    * XMB Color Selector - The background of the XMB is no longer out of your control. The color of the XMB waves background can be selected in Settings.
    * Music & Photo Playlists - You can now open and create your own playlists from within the XMB. For example, you can create a "Party Mix," which features your favorite songs from your PS3. Playlists cannot be imported from Memory Stick, and music and photo playlists cannot be combined. However, future firmware updates will improve this feature.
    * Additional Sorting Options - Currently, music can be sorted by Artist and Album on the PS3. Additionally, users will be able to sort by Year.
    * DualShock 3 support - You'll be able to turn on and off DualShock 3 support from the Settings menu on the XMB.

* PLAYSTATION Network XMB group - The PLAYSTATION Network will get its own icon on the XMB, and will be featured between Network and Friends. Within the PLAYSTATION Network, you'll be able to access the PLAYSTATION Store and Account Management. "Other features" will be included in the future, such as Home.
    * Canon printer support - Additional printers are now supported by the PS3.

There we go. No in-game xmb like everyone thought, no waiting until Home comes out.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Remote functions are incredible. I think it's a huge leap in the right direction. Shame I don't have a good enough connection to support it. Alongside Live and the Wii Remote, I think this is the PS3's best feature if they get Remote Play in more games.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

So...what you're saying is we need Live Remote Wiimote support in games :D

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Am I tempted by this, and a cheaper PS3? You bet. When does GT5 come out again?

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

next summer apparently. But you can always spend $40 to get the prologue (ouch..)

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

:eek: No thanks, I'll wait for the full game. ;)

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

And I'll bring it back down to reality ...

1. No in-game XMB support
    2. New RSS-based information board, yet no RSS utility for podcasts
    3. No video playlists*
    4. No in-game customizable music
    5. No Blu-ray Profile 1.1 support (I'm sure this is coming though)
    6. No in-game chat support
    7. No invite or achievement system
    8. No additional video codecs

*How hard is this, really? Apparently, Apple can't support video playlists either (Apple TV).

Oh... I could go on. Sigh. My PS3 has so much potential. FIX IT, SONY! :(

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apparently, there is more news to come—and there is some chatter of an entirely new PSN store.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds cool....now back to Silent Hill 0rigins(awesomeness on the go)

Note: Glad I didn't hype up this update because who knows what was going to happen and unlike the dude that posted before me...I'm not disappointed.

Bless

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Feck canon drivers. give me bloody in game XMB sony for heavens sake :rolleyes:

11. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

It is up to THE DEVELOPERS to allow XMB and custom music in their games. Not Sony's fault. The technology is already there. In a very early PS3 demo video, the tester did access the XMB directly from a game demo.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sorry Taustin, that simply isn't true.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope. It's simply an overlay. It's not built into games. Lol.

14. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

The technology is already there, has been for a long time:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/10/15/rewind-to-2006-when-ps3-had-in-game-xmb-seriously/

My take on it is that if the game developers wanted you to play custom music during their games, they would very simply implement that feature. Wouldn't even need XMB for that. Just a playlist editor in the game that can access your hard drive.

They don't though. I seriously believe that is at least part of the reason why we are not seeing in-game XMB. Why else would Sony refuse to put it in there, when people have been asking for it for SO LONG and the technology would be nothing new?

A lot of money changes hands when they put licensed music into games. One factor here is the exposure the artist gets by having his song in the game. Having every game let you play custom music from the get-go, without the developers having a say in it, would change some things there dramatically.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well I downloaded the update last night and it went smooth....I'm digging the info center on the top right plus the theme thing is cool...now I just got to wait until someone comes out with cool icons.

This gives the XMB a cool vibe about it.....I like it.

Uncharted demo today guys!

Bless

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

cool. i'm thinking about getting a ps3. can't decide

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Now thats much better than any update... fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint.

18. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

amen to that. It's gonna be awesome (I hope)

19. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I won't stop being pissed off until I see playstation store available in countries like greece. Really, now, how hard is that for a company like sony?

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's been rumored that it's a protected memory problem. However, that's no excuse—it should have been there from the beginning.

On the XBOX 360 side, Microsoft allows developers to access that API without having to create their own for custom music. Sony has yet to do this with the PS3. In your scenario, developers would have to reinvent the wheel every single time—which to them is not worth the effort. You could use this same argument for invites and an achievement system. Should developers be responsible for their own messaging system? Achievement system?

Yes, let's see Microsoft and Nintendo both can implement custom music, but Sony can't because of licensing restrictions? That makes no sense.

This all comes down to making it easier for developers. If Sony would stop trying to make the PS3 into an all-in-one entertainment system, and focus on game development for the time being—it would be a much better console.

Who the hell wants to PRINT from their PS3 anyway? Maybe if you're running Linux, but from the XMB?

21. monkeytap macrumors regular

check out sonys website. if you sign up for the credit card you get $100 off, so the $399 ps3 drops to $299 and you still get the 5-6 free blu-ray movies.

its a hell of a deal, and im thinking about buying a second ps3 with it

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the tip. i'll check it out

23. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

24. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

25. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Ah, good point, I was not aware that the 360 and Wii are open like that. Are there cross-platform games that allow custom music on the 360 and not on the PS3?

If that is the case, I stand corrected. :)