PS3 Games! Tell us your favourites!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by yoyo5280, Jul 14, 2007.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I am an Ex-PAt in Japan. I bought a Wii just to find it was not region free and only in Japanese. We had it only a week, then exchanged it for a PS3 because it is region free and in English.

We brought home the PS3 and hooked it up with HDMI, eventually figured out how to turn it on (Power switch on back and front. I was an XBOX kid :) ) and....Nothing!! THe light turned green and nothing. We reset and tried again and it worked, but froze in the middle of set up. We reset and again, and it turned on, beeped 3 times and flashed red like it was overheating. I googled the problem and found it is common!

Was it really worth that much money!!?? (even though we saved a bit :) )

We are going to try again, and if it happens again, I may be an XBOX kid. Again :(

UPDATE: My PS3 is working great now! Share your most favourite games!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well it sounds like It could be that you have not enabled HDMI output.
    Hence you are not seeing anything. Stupidly - the PS3 does not auto detect video output unless you tell it to.

Here's how.

Force your PS3 to detect signal by doing the following

Turn off the ps3 so it's in Standby (red light on)

Then press powerbutton on the console and keep your finger on it for about 5 - 10 seconds.

This will force the ps3 to look for suitable video output and it should now detect the HDMI.

Fingers crossd :)

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

same thing happened to me first time i hooked it up thru HDMI i freaked out thinking something was wrong but tried that and it worked

4. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

We took it to our favourite tech store. Yodabashi Camera and they tried everything they could it was a dud, just got new one. Hoping for the best!

5. asxtb macrumors 6502

I'm sure Yodabashi loves you! ;) You return your Wii, you return your first PS3.... :p

Anyway, how'd the second PS3 work out? Hope it works better than the first!

6. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Ya, the funny thing is we got the same guy everytime. He was the one who took back our wii, sopld us the first PS3 and took back the first PS3. Anyways, this one works great. I luv it so much. WE found out that the one we bought before was old because it had 2006 on the date section of set-up (we got there before it died.) okay...

7. asxtb macrumors 6502

That's good to here!

I'm in the same position as you. I'm here in Japan and was looking for a next gen gaming system. And I decided on the PS3 and love it. The regionless factor and the English menu were huge in deciding what to buy as well a few other things.

What game(s) have you picked up yet? If you're a baseball fan, ProYakyu Spirits 4 is a great game and I highly recommend it.

8. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

My older cousin recommended need for speed carbon. It is really fun if you like that kind of game. I just started to get to know baseball. go swallows :p

Any other game recommendations?

Also, if I got a PS2 game, for my ps3 could I play network play with my friend in the states (The game is ratchet and clank or something similar sounding :p)

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

glad to hear everything worked out. but you were going to go with an xbox if it hadn't? i think xbox problems are a lot more widespread and public than those of the ps3. i'd never buy one even if it had a lifetime product replacement guarantee; i wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of constantly returning broken systems.

10. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

We may have. We had one xbox. My dad HATES the look of the Xbox 360, and would NEVER put that next to the apple TV. The PS3 looks bad enough :p

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I coulda sworn this thread was about your favorite games on the PS3...oh well.

It does sucks that wii is locked. I haven't had one single problem first time connecting through HDMI...it detected it right away.

The games I like right now are:

R:FoM
    R6: Vegas
    The Darkness
    Calling All Cars
    StarDust HD
    Oblivion
    Ninja G.

Bless

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ditto.... I like all of those except Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

I bought it - but think it looks really crappy tbh :( The shadowing is awful, why couldn't they have added lighting into the environments. When you see a shadow cast on a door and then the door opens and you realise the shadow is just a badly drawn texture on the surface it's really dissapointing.

I know it's an xbox port, but 2 years later is doesnt have to wear it routes so clearly on it's chest.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

My favourite PS3 games in no particular order are:

Rainbow Six Vegas
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Virtua Tennis 3
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Oblivion
    Ridge Racer 7
    The Darkness
    Armored Core 4

and when it is releaed in a couple of weeks in Japan

Everybody's Golf 5

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

You can mail it to me MRU :D I really want it but since I have 11 games on Pre-order I told my gf I wouldn't buy anymore till '08:(

I don't like the darkness from 2ny's list. The action is kinda fun but he runs so ****ing slow and so much loading and always "yOuR pOwEr LaYs iN ThE DaRkKkKkKk!KKK!!!!" SHUT THE **** UP YOU EVIL POWER!!! I KNOW DAMN IT!!! :mad: *snap! lose it!*

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

A little pissed off arent ya...letting the darkness take you over huh;) Its all about the eating hearts that interest me...other than that....meh.

I can't believe I can't even catch a game with you guys on any game.....you guys suck!:p

Bless

16. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Well I've only got 3 games so far. Had my PS3 for a few weeks now, and I'm loving it!

Here's the list:
    Motorstorm
    Oblivion
    Ninja Gaiden

I just got Ninja Gaiden today and its bloody tough! I don't think I've ever played a first level on a game that was this tough. Needless to say I think its great. The graphics are really smooth and the action is very high paced. Its a lot of fun.

Motorstorm is still my current favorite though. Can't wait for GTA and Gran Turismo!

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Folks Soul
    Minna no golf 5
    NG Sigma
    F1 CE
    RB6 Vegas
    Motorstorm
    Professional Baseball Spirits 4

I have 6 more PS3 games, but they get considerably less play than the above games :)

Ed

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

what's folks soul Ed?

Mostly of late I'm player Super Stardust HD - I love that game more than any of the games I paid big bucks for.

I'm still playing Resistance, Oblivion, Virtua Tennis, Virtua Fighter though.

F1, Motorstorm, Armored Core 4, Genji, FightNight Round 3, FullAuto 2 all barely get touched.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Folklore in Japan.....I asked the same question but instead I rant on about the game then after I was done I asked...

"whats folk soul ed":D

Bless

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I pretty much play the Heavenly Sword demo about 2-5 times a day, and have basically mastered the damn thing. Last night I beat it without getting it while only using counters to kill the guys :p So now my PS3 collects dust, along with m Wii and 360, until later this month when i bask in the awesomeness that will be Bioshock and Warhawk :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Oh...and Stranglehold

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My PSP is getting some quality time these days....getting it warmed up for Silent Hill:0rigins

Bless

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I'm Paying the new Ape Escape game for my PSP, and Final Fantasy Tactics :p

Folks Soul is Folklore yes :) The nice thing is that with all the space Blu-Ray provides they seem to put multiple languages on the BD's. Folks Soul, Minna no Golf 5, & NG Sigma all play in English. The pro baseball game i bought has no option for English but it was never intended to be sold out of the Japan market.

Ed

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^So are you gonna tell us how folksoul/lore is or are you gonna make us guess?...don't care much for the golf and basball game but still:)

Note: All that own R6V for the PS3....I have now entered your zone and if you are looking to be owned (like how I own Ed everytime he touch the controller:p)then add me.

Bless

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Which kind of proves my point that Nintendo are full of sh*t when they say it takes 6 - 12 months to regionalise a game these days.

Translations and localisation is done usually at the same time as development on the main game and runs concurently these days. So the old excuse's no longer work.

How is Everbodys Golf anyway? I like that series. Oh and as 2ny says. Pony up with the review of Folk Soul / FolkLore or do we have to beat you with a stick for it ? ;):)

25. asxtb macrumors 6502

I'm back! Sorry, gone for a couple weeks. I'm sure some of you were ready to throw a party thinking I was gone for good. ;)

Minna no Golf has English? I'll have to go back and take a look at that. :eek: Also to add to that list... Ridge Racer is also in English.