PS3 Graphics

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by simontarr, Nov 30, 2008.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I'm not wanting to start a flame war here, but I'm just wondering if anyone agrees with me that the PS3 graphics seem to be....missing something.

My flatmate has just got Resistance 2 and I've been watching him play it- it all seems blurry, lacking in contrast and generally boring. I'm pretty sure it's not the TV as my 360 looks amazing on the same settings.

Anyway, back to Resistance. He's playing through the first (or second) level in the jungle, and there is a firefight going on around some trucks and cars- everything just looks really bland. The textures look naff, the shadows look naff, it just looks...naff. The red truck for example- no kind of reflections off the paint work, the windscreen looks like something from a 1990's game. Has anyone else noticed this?

If you think about how much better looking games like Halo and Gears 2 is, I can't really find any excuses for the developers!

It seems to be the way with most PS3 games as well- they just seem to be missing something. I head straight to the 360 for any multiplat games.

Like I said, please don't take this as a flame war- a discussion about graphics is all I was after :)

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

So, you base this on one game?

Not saying the PS3 is the epitome of graphic.

3. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Resistance (the first one at least) is one of the games that has crappy graphics in PS3, so yeah. If a developer really exploits the console's capability, games like Metal Gear Solid 4 appear, its just phenomenal, and it was so well-made, the 360 is unable to play it, hence the PS3 exclusivity. IMHO, the PS3 is the best console of them 3, owning the wii and having used the 360, they're pretty much cr*p next to the PS3. Just my 2 cents.

Victor

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ehh, I've heard mixed things on Resistance 2 , I've heard it looks great it some places, then not so hot in others.

Looking at MotorStorm(1 and 2), COD4/5 its clear to me the PS3 is a powerful system. Not as powerful at Sony lead some to believe, but its still looks great. Killzone 2 is said to be great graphicly(from beta players)

5. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Not just one game, no. I should have made that clearer in my post.

I'm lucky to be able to use both systems, and any Multi-platform game I've played looks better on the 360. PES09 is another example, along with COD4 & 5. Does anyone know what is causing the discrepancy at the technical level?

I do like some of the lighting effects in Resistance 2 though.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That's rubbish. The fact that it is an exclusive has nothing to do with whether the Xbox can or can not cope with the graphical demands of the game.

Plus I've read numerous reports from console game developers saying the 360 is the better console.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

from...? It's fairly well known that the 360 is easier for (many) devs to program for, but I haven't heard any say that it's 'better' than the PS3, aside from Gabe Newell but he hates everything that isn't a PC. Quality wise it certainly isn't :p

But anyways, with the OP I find it hard to believe you put Gears 2 and Halo in the same breath as Halo is miles below Gears in terms of graphics. And basing things off of Resistance 2 (the first one was throughly average looking) is a little silly. Fire up Uncharted.

8. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

I see what you're saying, but my point was that I think Halo looks better than Resistance 2- although it has a very particular style, it still looks great.

I agree Uncharted looks good though- really lush environments.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

First, for the most part I think Resistance 2 looks as good as Halo 3. Second, by citing a single PS3 game that you think looks good, you've completely undermined your point of PS3 graphics not being up to snuff. There couldn't even be one game that looks good if the console isn't capable of it.

10. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

OR to the fact that even Hideo Kojima had trouble fitting the game in the 50GB BluRay offers. He did state he was unable to make the game for 360 (he did published previous ones for the 3 consoles) due to limitations (Im assuming more than just the space one). I can't recall where i saw this, but im just based on that.

Also, how can the 360 be a better (more powerful) console? Enlighten me on which fields please.

Victor

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The 360 has a unified shader GPU while the PS3 does not which does make things easier for developers, not to mention the 360 uses a very familiar PowerPC CPU architecture while I've read about many developers saying the Cell is hell to program for.

However developers who do take their time to learn the system like Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Kojima Studios really pump out incredible looking games so I'd say both consoles are right about the same.

I have a PS3 and the only game that looks crappy is GTA IV but that's because it's a 640p game with no AA (running on a 32" 1080p TV, you do the math) and it's blurry all over the place and Rockstar has never delivered on the technical side (except maybe with SA).

Remember, it's hard to utilize hardware to it's full efficiency every time, so the PS3's weakness is not necesarily weak hardware, it's most likely lazy developers and/or hellish programming difficulty.

Also, if you care so much about graphics then go buy a PC, after that both the 360 and the PS3 will look "naff" but I guess we all buy consoles for games not eyecandy, right? :rolleyes:

12. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I played Resistance 2 and completed it. I thought the graphics where amazing. No blurs, no bad contrast... The only thing I noticed is sometimes it would load badly and THEN the game looked weird. Don't know why it would load badly, but i'd quit the game, restart it, and BOOM everything looks great!

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not even going through this argument again when we all know the PS3/X360 puts out identical graphics in majority of games.

Op I think you need to check your settings and make sure you're getting the best out of your PS3.

R2 graphics is very strange indeed...one stage is average looking then there's the San Francisco & Chicago stages that are brilliant but seeing as this game is on a scale level I can forgive it.

I've been playing Gears 2 for some time now and for the life of me I can't see anything groundbreaking graphically(All I see is muddy textures in certain areas)...I still think Uncharted looks better.

Check your settings op because most 360 and PS3 games look Identical.

Bless

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From my own experience and seeing a few comparisons online - the PS3 graphics seem more desaturated. Which isn't a bad thing though, I find myself flicking between the contrast and colour modes on my TV to make some 360 and Wii games less colourful, and vice versa on the more gray games.

Isn't the 360's GPU slightly better than the PS3's (offset by the PS3's better CPU) anyways?

I wouldn't say identical. There are variations in each, like whilst playing GTA I noticed the 360s display was sharper, whereas the PS3 version (though I didn't get to play it for long) had better colours. Both systems are wildly different, it's not as if they have the same hardware and just slapped different cases over them like PC manufacturers.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats my understanding of the issue

They both have enough power to put out great game. Geometry Wars 2 looks stunning, so much fun. Super Mario Galaxy is a top notch looking game on Wii Little Big Planet has a great art style too.

Its not just how much power, its what the devs do with it

16. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

From my experience, I think Uncharted is the best looking game. Give it a shot.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. It's all about art direction and what is done with the hardware, which is also why you'll never find a multiconsole game that looks bloomin mindblowing. Each system is capable of different things, even aside from graphics.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Gears looks so good because of the art for the environments, not because of the "graphics". The same thing happened with Resident Evil:Remake and RE4, the graphics were not that special but the texture work was extremely well done and hid the flaws from the engine.

Mass Effect, MGS4 (1080p), and GTA4 are probably the most graphically demanding games so far, and with the exception of Mass Effect both MGS4 and GTA4 run fine on PS3 (the majority seems to think GTA4 looks best on a PS3 because of less pop-up and better lighting effects, with the 360's higher res not helping visuals much).

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well of course not but what I was trying to get across on a multiplatform level is the output is basically the same graphically. The art style is a big contributor as everyone already said...check out ICO and SoTC, both gorgeous looking games due to the art style.

Also check out Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts for a beautiful art style.

Bless

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

by better, i hope you dont mean reliability lol

i say that as ive havd 6 360's rod on me before i gave up and got a ps3

21. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So playing PS3 exclusives and 360 exclusives (on the same TV), I think PS3 ones look nicer but it's really hard to compare different games :p .

@Cromulent: I believe it's because the 360 is easier to develop for. The PS3 took a while for devs to get used to.

22. evan g macrumors regular

I think of all the games you picked up for the PS3, I wouldn't judge it's graphics off of that one. I would pick up Uncharted, or LBP. OR if you wait a month or two here, KILLZONE 2!

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why are there such raves on uncharted? i dont think the game has great graphics at all and the controls are horrible imo

of course, im just basing my opinion on the demo

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm sending out an S.O.S!!!!

(Same Old Sh*t)

So here's the deal and we all know it.....

Some Ps3 games look pretty. Some don't.
    Some 360 games look pretty. Some don't.
    Most Ps3 / 360 games look identical - however 360 'generally' (not always) fairs better in multi-platform titles.

Is this going to change nearly 3 years on ? Highly unlikely at this stage. saying Developers are still coming to terms with PS3 hardware at this stage is a moribund statement and should be resigned to the waste paper bin.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ps3 has only been out for 2 years but you knew that