Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasmusschaal

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
In denmark, Århus
Hi there!
Im kind of in a choice, which is hard to take.
Cause theres 3 items i really would like.
The iPhone, the macbook pro and the PS3.
There are downs and ups on all of them.

the iPhone is really really cool and would help me out in a lot of things in school. But i DO have a phone and thats a good one too. So i wouldnt miss the iPhone too much.

The macbook pro has a good graphics card, which can play the games i sometimes do. BUT, i dont really play games just a few like garrys mod and stuff like that. (mod of half life 2) and i already have a macbook which supports my needs but gaming and hardcore photoshop.

The ps3. I so so so wanna get one of these, they can play all the new games and its such neat with blue ray player. although i already have a wii and a ps2 to play games on. And im not sure if my TV can support advantages of the ps3. and i might be able to buy it with my stepdad so he pays half the price and we share it then.

phannon666

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Bucks, UK
Seems like you answered your own question with the iPhone. As for MBP, absolutely quality machines, highly recommended if you can afford.

As for PS3, well I'm going to be somewhat bias (and make a different suggestion entirely) as I've had an Xbox360 since its original launch, premium, the later upgraded to elite when I got a HDTV. When it comes to PS3, its advantages over Xbox include: it runs quieter, plays blu-ray (tbh disc-based media is on a knife edge atm and could go either way). *That's* it. PS3 has a (currently) poor online network although free, I'm quite happy to pay for XboxLive because it works excellent. Xbox is also cheaper (£159 with GTA IV included), better games and IMHO the controller is 10x better.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
This is a bit of an odd question, none of your items are in the same category.

Either you want a phone, a games console, or a laptop. Which is it? Only you know that :confused:

Never mind the fact you can get an iPhone and a PS3, and still have change from what you'd have to spend on an MPB.

John Dillinger

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Ha yeah mate, theyre totally different price ranges! Could buy 4 ps3's for the cost of a macbook pro!

Dont listen to that other guy, talk about Bias! "Thats it????"

How bout Blu-Ray plus:

1) You get wifi built-in cost you £50 to get the officiala microshatf version.

2) You can upgrade the hard-drive yourself, ANY laptop SATA hardrive will do, microsoft make you buy their own *ridiculously* overpriced one, and your limited to 120GB

3) Free theme and wallpaper downloads off PSN, MS nickel and dime you

4) Unless you want to own both consoles, (and sounds like you got the money) get the PS3 and soon have games like LittleBigPlanet which looks insane, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy 13, Resistance 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, plus Metal Gear Solid 4 out next month!
Uncharted 2 is also in the works and I personally loved the first one. Depends what you're into I sppose.
Or get xbox an play halo, and gears/gears2 Mass effect

5) It runs MUCH quieter, 360 sounds like a hoover, no joke, I couldnt take it. In-game if you have volume loud you dont really hear it but during loading screens, screeching and whinig away. Forget about watching movies on the thing
6) THEY STILL HAVENT FIXED THE RED RING FAILURES! AFTER 3/4 REVISIONS! ITS STILL LIKE 20% FAILURE RATE. Thats appaling.
7) Its Microsoft.

But yeah 3 different things I'd love a MB Pro, im on a macbook, but not going to upgrade till next hardware revision, got a PS3 for gaming and I would wait till after June to get an iPhone=3G plus other goodies!

P.S Im speaking from experience, actually bought one and was so dissapointed and cussed myself for ever buying the thing. Sold after 3 weeks! Was initially guna own both but just wasnt impressed... Not sure if this helps?!

Seems like you answered your own question with the iPhone. As for MBP, absolutely quality machines, highly recommended if you can afford.

Xbox is also cheaper (£159 with GTA IV included), better games and IMHO the controller is 10x better.

P.S THATS A LIE, YOU DO NOT GET GTA3 and 360 for £159, £159 is for the gimped arcade version and you pay £40 extra for the game. GTA4 is a triple platinum game-why the hell would you get it for free? Bundles never discount the whole price of an item, maybe money off, usually just new packaging plus maybe a 5er saving. INNACCURATE

phannon666

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Bucks, UK
Sorry but you are wrong. You can get the Xbox360 and GTA4 for £159, saw an advert in my high street Woolworths window just last week and it definitely said the game was free. Sure its the stripped down version, but hey, it is still a next gen console and there is a market for them at that price.

You're calling the Xbox360 hard drive overpriced? Sure you can put your own HDD in the PS3, but you paid well over the odds for the base console itself in the first place. Pot, kettle, black.

You can get free themes from XboxLive. You are wrong again.

I even stated my opinion might be biased before I started talking about the Xbox, ass-hat. I also stated the PS3 runs much quieter.

The red ring failures are from early revisions and are due to poor build quality, batches in the last year or so have addressed this.

You're slating it just because it's Microsoft? OK this is an Apple-centric forum, but you can't rag on one product purely because Microsoft manufacutres it.

mrwindup

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Get the PS3. The others will likely update within the year and you can wait for that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Meh, I'd go for the iPhone but that's based on my needs. I already have a laptop and Wii so I don't really want a MBP or PS3.

Depends what you want;

-Portable internet, new phone, new iPod
-Semi portable internet, whole computer, plays games that cost less than their console variations
-Games console with overly priced games

John Dillinger

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Sorry but you are wrong. You can get the Xbox360 and GTA4 for £159, saw an advert in my high street Woolworths window just last week and it definitely said the game was free. Sure its the stripped down version, but hey, it is still a next gen console and there is a market for them at that price.

You're calling the Xbox360 hard drive overpriced? Sure you can put your own HDD in the PS3, but you paid well over the odds for the base console itself in the first place. Pot, kettle, black.

You can get free themes from XboxLive. You are wrong again.

I even stated my opinion might be biased before I started talking about the Xbox, ass-hat. I also stated the PS3 runs much quieter.

The red ring failures are from early revisions and are due to poor build quality, batches in the last year or so have addressed this.
--------------

AHEM!

LIES AGAIN!! Theres stories all over the internet DAILY people talkin bout they cant paly GTA 4 with new 360s that have RROD'd.

Find me an online link for that super bundle, Woolies probs messed up.. Not on Play.com... The game is selling out, and youre telling me with shortages theyre giving the game FREE?! Oh yeah my local Woolies give me a break!

You didnt say 'much quieter' you said quieter- there is a difference, one might be not such a difference, ones a big difference- cant stop can you???

You have to pay for some themes tho right? All are free on PSN.

P.P.S I didnt pay over the odds for user replaceable HD you retard! I Paid extra for BLU_RAY, built in wifi and bluetooth tech, meaning I can hook up any standard bluetooth peripherals... The HD thing and free online, phat games and whisper quiet console is just a BONUS! Enjoy your 360 and see you next year like EVERYONE else tryina get hold of that SICK PS3 lineup!

'Asshat' Laughing out LOUD

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
4) Unless you want to own both consoles, (and sounds like you got the money) get the PS3 and soon have games like LittleBigPlanet which looks insane, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy 13, Resistance 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, plus Metal Gear Solid 4 out next month!
Uncharted 2 is also in the works and I personally loved the first one. Depends what you're into I sppose.
Or get xbox an play halo, and gears/gears2 Mass effect

I don't know if I want to get in between the two of you here but...

I have a PS3 as well so i am on that bandwagon. But i just want to clarify the proposed (obviously a bit fluid) release dates so as not to get anyones hopes up. Littlebigplanet looks awesome and I am really excited and apparently they are on track for a october release. Killzone 2, God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5 are all slated for 2009. You can get GT5: Prolouge now which is really just a kick ass demo...70 cars 6 tracks (with reverse on all) but still a great game. So to say those three are coming soon is exaggerating a bit. but ya if you are into MGS4 then it is next month and the previously hyped (buzz declined due delays) Haze is out next week.

My two cents

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I haven't touched my PS3 for a long time....and I bought my GTAIV in 360 format.

just replaced my PB G4 yesterday with MBP and looking forward to it. if you can afford it, buy MBP over the other two items...but don't stretch your funds if you know you will regret not waiting 30 days to see what new items are available in MBP line.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
PS3, simply because you have a MacBook, and the iPhone is being updated soon.

Ps3 because the online service is very good( only been down once in the year I've had mine, but the 7 months I've had a 360, live has been down 3 times.
the games are simply better, 360 really has nothing to stand on this year, PS3 has atleast 4 big titles out this year, and atleast 2 of them are system sellers.
I have upgraded my PS3 to a 160Gb hdd, and will be putting in a 250Gb or 320Gb soon, simply because of the playstation store, I must have 40Gb of Hd trailers, interviews and behind the scenes. I also use it as a music player, and have around 5Gb of music stored on the drive. Not to mention all the pictures, there mist be atleast 15Gb of photo's. And yet when using the 360, all these media features feel closed or broken, and compared to the XMB, the blades system is crap.

You also get so much more for your extra £50 compared to an elite.
the PS3 actually looks good under a tv
rechargable controllers, which are the best design ever
Blu-ray, which is constantly being updated
Wifi built in
Card reader to easily get pics off a camera
fan system that works
very good quality online service

Also, I use my 360 regularly, I bought GTA for it, and its a very good console, but the PS3 is soooo much better, and has seemed so much better value.

phannon666

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Bucks, UK
Dillinger: You really are a complete mong, get off your bandwagon.

Lies? Since when was something I've seen in the HIGH STREET lies? Did I mention at any point it was an online deal? No. Did I say this deal was on at Play at any point? Woolworths of all places can actually do some pretty good deals, and just because something is in demand doesn't mean it can't be given away, either Microsoft/Woolies can sub the cost of the game, it's up to them.

Daily posts on failing new consoles, I'm sure there are a few cases over time, but not new cases every day, why exaggerate? I'm sure there are failing PS3s out there too.

You didnt say 'much quieter' you said quieter- there is a difference, one might be not such a difference, ones a big difference- cant stop can you???
WTF kinda sentence is that? How do you know how much quieter I was implying from this? Whether I said 'much' or not.

Oh yipee, all of your themes are free. Don't even know why you're using that as a point of argument.

I also didn't say you paid over the odds for the user replaceable HDD. You're reading what isn't there. Also in case you didn't notice, blu-ray isn't doing so well, even after HD-DVD died. Again, hardly a selling point of this console, at least it shouldn't be. And hey, PS3 may have some better tech in there, I admit that, but you would expect so when it was launched a year after the 360.

Also thanks I will enjoy my 360, I will enjoy it also when the PS3 has just matured in the market and MS is gearing up for the next generation's release, Sony are starting to lag behind. That's a point you can't dispute.

I suggest you learn how to type, spell and research/construct your argument before posting again. Although I probably won't see it, I've got better things to do. Bye.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Actually, Blu-ray is selling about twice as much software (that means discs) then DVD did at the same age, and that had no competitor.

Also, the PS3's surface has just been scratched, there is alot more underneath. And Sony are in no way lagging behind, they have managed to make a hugely successful console, which will be strong until around 2010 or so, with an update in 2011, and ofcourse, the Xbox 720 will be out in 2010, but many people wont jump out and buy like they did this generation.

Sony is king of the Videogames market, the PS2 is still selling more than 360, and slowly, each PS2 owner will upgrade to what they know, Sony, and the PS3.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
Actually, Blu-ray is selling about twice as much software (that means discs) then DVD did at the same age, and that had no competitor.

Also, the PS3's surface has just been scratched, there is alot more underneath. And Sony are in no way lagging behind, they have managed to make a hugely successful console, which will be strong until around 2010 or so, with an update in 2011, and ofcourse, the Xbox 720 will be out in 2010, but many people wont jump out and buy like they did this generation.

Sony is king of the Videogames market, the PS2 is still selling more than 360, and slowly, each PS2 owner will upgrade to what they know, Sony, and the PS3.

I gotta say this is about right. The PS2 was a year ahead of the original Xbox, and while Live was the better online experience, the PS2 had many more good games. Sony also stands behind their consoles for longer. As soon as the 360 came out, the Xbox was dropped. No more new games.

I've been a Nintendo fan boy since the SNES, but I'll be picking up a PS3 before a 360, despite the fact that more of my friends have the 360. More future proof and less prone to failure. Everyone I know with a 360 has had to replace it due to RRoD.

In the US, broadband isn't fast enough and penetration isn't good enough in rural areas to allow for HD downloads, so those who want full quality will be getting Blu-Ray, and the PS3 is as good a player as there is. Just like the PS2 was my first DVD player (2001) the PS3 will be my first Blu-Ray player.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
If you don't have a quality TV, then blu-ray on the PS3 really means nothing for you. And I bet you won't buy Blu-ray dvds, I like to obtain them otherwise. :D Not to mention all those great ps2 titles you own are not playable on a new PS3. The 360 wasn't one of your options, but its a less expensive console and has better and more vast selection of titles available NOW.
As for an iPhone, if you can use your phone during school, you might as well just use your macbook. It can do more things, and just use your other phone for calls. I love my MBP, but you if want that, wait till you can get the student discounting and a revision later this summer.

For the PS3 fanboys, gizmodo is running a nice little article about the PS3 fanbase:
http://gizmodo.com/389972/the-most-...-makes-me-loyal-to-the-xbox-360-for-life-nsfw

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
If you don't have a quality TV, then blu-ray on the PS3 really means nothing for you. And I bet you won't buy Blu-ray dvds, I like to obtain them otherwise. :D Not to mention all those great ps2 titles you own are not playable on a new PS3. The 360 wasn't one of your options, but its a less expensive console and has better and more vast selection of titles available NOW.
As for an iPhone, if you can use your phone during school, you might as well just use your macbook. It can do more things, and just use your other phone for calls. I love my MBP, but you if want that, wait till you can get the student discounting and a revision later this summer.

For the PS3 fanboys, gizmodo is running a nice little article about the PS3 fanbase:
http://gizmodo.com/389972/the-most-...-makes-me-loyal-to-the-xbox-360-for-life-nsfw

Actually the current PS3 does have backwards compatibility, at least the 80 gig model does.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Definitely not an iphone. Not sure why youre even considering one over a PS3/MBP.

Since you already have a macbook I would get a PS3 since you dont have a 360 either. Having a MB and MBP doesnt make any sense. You can get GTA4 for PS3 which is an amazing game, and MGS4 is coming out soon, then Little Big Planet a few months after that. This year will be the PS3's year.

But you could always get a MBP, sell the now useless MB, and easily buy a PS3 and some games with that money since they sell for $700+ on ebay.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Actually the current PS3 does have backwards compatibility, at least the 80 gig model does.

Partially-correct. 80gig (available in June with MGS4 $500) has limited compatibility. The rest of the systems are questionable. check it out:
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...TEuNCZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

For your PS3 defense, the xbox 360 is limited backwards compatibility also.
But I'll stick with my choice of a Xbox 360. Even though you already have a good phone, a perfectly fine macbook, ipod, and gaming consoles.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Definitely not an iphone. Not sure why youre even considering one over a PS3/MBP.

Since you already have a macbook I would get a PS3 since you dont have a 360 either. Having a MB and MBP doesnt make any sense. You can get GTA4 for PS3 which is an amazing game, and MGS4 is coming out soon, then Little Big Planet a few months after that. This year will be the PS3's year.

But you could always get a MBP, sell the now useless MB, and easily buy a PS3 and some games with that money since they sell for $700+ on ebay.

Doesn't quite make sense to say "I would get a PS3 since you dont have a 360 either." If you love Metal gear, i think you want a PS3, but if not, I say give 360 a chance, it has some great games coming this year, gears of war 2 makes it a good year for both.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
He didnt say he wanted a 360 so I didnt suggest it, he said he wanted a PS3, he probably has his reasons. He only has a Wii so hes missing out on hardcore titles that the PS3 and 360 offer, it makes the most sense to go with the console. I would still suggest a PS3 over a 360 because of MGS4, LBP, and FF13 (not counting whatever amazing game Sony's ICO team comes out with), but if he had wanted a 360 instead then I would have suggested that over the iphone/MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.