PS3 or Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by heisenberg123, Mar 8, 2013.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Long story short had a 360 original model, did not like the no built in wifi or how loud it got when runnign a came, moded it so i could play burned games that cause me to be banned from xbox live so i found the thing not fun any more and sold it.

In the market for a console again and not totally against geting xbox again if the current model is improved on built in wifi and more quite.

Things I would like to to

1. Gaming
    2. Stream movies from my Mac
    3. Netflix and NHL GameCentre

although I have a ATV for streaming and Netflix/GameCentre so those are not crutial but it be nice to have a console that was best in all 3 of my catagories of interest.

thanks

2. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I have both, so that could be an option. Personally, you should look at what games you would be interested in. Also, which of the 2 controllers feels best for you.

I feel that the PS3 controllers are better for FPS games, where as the 360 controllers are great for racing games. So it all comes down to what genre of games you are into and which of the 2 controllers feel best in your hands. I like the PS3 controller over the 360 controller overall though.

Oh, and what about your friends? What consoles do they use? I focus mostly on the PS3 because I have more friends to play with on there.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Look up the exclusives for each console and decide which ones you want the most.

I went with the PS3. Playstation Plus is the best thing to happen to console gaming in recent years, and I much prefer its exclusives (MGS4, Gran Turismo, Journey, Heavy Rain, Beyond) to the Xbox 360's exclusives (Halo, Gears of War, Forza).

4. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I have to agree with you about PSN+, not having to wait for game patches to download when I want to play a game is awesome.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't buy either one right now. PS4 is coming and XBox 720 will soon be announced.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

The slim xbox 360 now has built in wifi/hdmi and is much quieter than the older models. Reliability problems were also fixed. Other changes is allowing USB drives to be used for game saves, along with could saves for gold members.

Of course, the ps4/next xbox is also coming, probably around Christmas. The ps4 won't play ps3 games, so the ps3 might be worth it if you want cheaper games the next couple of years until the ps4 library gets established.

Microsoft has not officially announced the next xbox, so it is unknown if it will be backwards compatible with original xbox or xbox 360 games.

All that said, I am very happy with my xbox 360 (even if it is the old style.). If it broke tomorrow, I would purchase another one (new style) without hesitation.

7. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Thanks for the replies so far ill look at exclusive titles to see if obr list interests me more than the other I usually like sports games and the call of duty/battlefield games other than gaming is either better at my other 2 uses

8. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

9. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I was about to start a thread just like this. All I want to do is play Tomb Raider and the new grand theft auto when it comes out. Is either system just as good? Can they both netflix? And can the xbox play dvds/blu-rays (I'm assuming no since br is a sony thing and most google answers say they can't. some say they can but you need new software)...

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep to all questions except BR which is Sony PS3 only.

Basically as your buying for 1 game only, consider a cheap second and model ?

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I would buy a Playstation 3. Get PS plus- you can get a free 30 day trial right now I think.

Straight off the bat you have LBP 2, Sleeping dogs, Infamous 2 and loads more for free.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yup, I'm pretty much just buying it for tomb raider now and grand theft auto later. The netflix and bluray would be a bonus since I'll hook it up to the downstairs tv which has neither right now. I'm thinking either the cheapest model now or wait until (I think) the end of the year and just buy the new PS4. But there's no guarantee that the PS4 would even be backwards capable and play tomb raider....If I buy now, probably go with a refurb too....I usually like to buy new but in this case....

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You need a Gold account to use it on your Xbox 360 (£35 a year). Yup, you need two subscriptions.

15. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Note that the PS3 comes with Cinavia DRM built-in. It cannot be removed and it cannot be disabled.

Cinavia will prevent you from playing back any streamed movies, irregardless of if you own them (and just copied them to a NAS device for streaming) or if you got them off the internet. I have several legally purchased Bluray movies that I cannot playback on my PS3 over the network because Cinavia mutes the audio when it detects the watermark (yes, I know I can play the BR disk itself- but that means going downstairs and getting it from the shelf).

So if you're looking for something that will stream *any* movie from your Mac, the PS3 is NOT that device. The Xbox 360 has no such restriction, because Cinavia is a requirement for Bluray players (which the PS3 is) and the Xbox 360 doesn't do Bluray (if you do need to play back Bluray movies, I'd highly recommend the 360 and a cheap BR player on the side).

Frankly, I'd just use your ATV to stream stuff. Not hard to make ATV compatible files with Subler and/or Handbrake. Neither console is really optimal for use as a media player.

-SC

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never had this problem and I've streamed lots of films, read them from pen drives, copied them onto the PS3 HDD. Is it only in certain films? All my bluray, DVD and *other* rips have been just fine, could it only work on certain films?

17. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Ya I guess I could use a external hd or copy to system hd does it show meta tag info when watching rips on ps3

18. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks all for the answers, I ended up getting a PS3 slim has a 500GB HD came with one year of PSN+ with Infamous 2, LBP2, and Rachet and Clank all 4 one

it was $299CDN

----------

ya come to think of it I have given friends movies and tv shows from those naughty "t" word sites and they have always worked for them off usb drives

19. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

It's a watermarking tech, and only affects PS3 systems running newer firmware. I believe it was introduced somewhere around firmware 3.15, but they've been progressively refining it ever since and it "works quite well" on 4.0+.

Originally, they only included Cinavia in theatre audio, so your typical cam or line release would pick it up and the PS3 would mute the audio or cease playback when the watermark was hit (this is something inserted into the audio stream).

Then it became a requirement on all new Bluray players... I'm not sure how many players actually bother to implement it these days, but the PS3 sure does. A bunch of crappy movies landed up having it on the Bluray release (The Green Hornet, Battle L.A., etc). Those movies cannot be ripped to NAS (or obtained from the internet) and streamed to the PS3, Cinavia will kick in and ruin your day.

I haven't seen many movies with it these days though, for some reason. Sony was all hyped up to have it included in EVERYTHING, but it seems like that plan failed for some reason or another.

I just thought I'd mention it here because the 360 has no such restrictions. I know some of the stuff people do is illegal, but I am of the opinion that it is their choice to freely break the law if they so wish. I don't need my devices telling me what is right or wrong, that's for me to decide and me alone.

So this issue may or may not effect you. It's there, and it definitely kicks in on occasion. If you're using the PS3 for a media player, then it's definitely not the best choice to make.

PS: I attached a screenshot I found off the 'net from the movie Salt, which definately had Cinavia on it. This is what you see when the PS3 encounters the Cinavia watermark, just in case you don't believe me.

-SC

Attached Files:

20. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Nice! Make sure you setup your automatic trophy sync and patch download stuff. I normally set mine for 4am. That way, game patches and stuff will be downloaded and installed while you sleep, so you are never bothered with having to download a patch when you start up a game (unless a patch was just pushed during that day. If you're a late gamer, and you happen to be playing during your scheduled sync time, don't worry, it won't stop your gaming, it'll just pick up later or the following day.

Happy gaming.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You don't even need to download the patch if you're playing offline. When the patch updater pops up, press circle or "don't update" and you can carry on regardless.
    (don't know if it works on all games)

Whoa, had no idea about that! It's never affected me (90% bluray rips, 9% DVD rips, 1% films or shows they decided not to release in my region) or a film-obsessed friend (90% torrented, 10% not). He said his copy of Salt worked fine. Half my stuff is also streamed right to my Sony TV, bypassing my PS3, which hasn't brought up any problems either.
    Is it only implemented in certain regions maybe? Sorry, just hugely interested in this! I'd love to trigger it!

22. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

True, but in order to play online with those games, you'll have to download the patches. But with PSN+, he won't have to, the system will do it automatically.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa