PS3 Redesign at E3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ezekielrage_99, May 13, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Like they say Rumors of that were about in 2008.

Maybe, maybe not.... Does the PS3 really need a redesign ?

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i was expecting the same pictures as in kotaku news post but it looks like this coming from another source
    http://kotaku.com/5253475/these-the-first-pics-of-the-ps3-slim

some chinese forum pictures of a guy holding an empty casing in his hand

if it goes together with a price drop i can't say i'm not interested

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I like the PS2 style lettering. Providing it's true (probably isn't) it would be a good move for Sony. Put out a new PSP, and a new PS3. Revamp your marketing etc. Kind of a soft relaunch and advertising the hell out of God of War 3, LBP PSP, Uncharted 2, etc.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

:D

I think what they wrote about "rebranding" was interesting. It could be an effort to sort of "relaunch" the console, and bring it closer to the PS2 in people's minds. Adopt a similar font, call it "PS3" instead of "Playstation 3"...it may have a subtle impact on the general public's perception of the machine and create more association with the popular PS2. Combined with a price drop and effective marketing (i can dream, right?), this could be a good strategy.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Actually it looks good :D Damn! i'll probably trade in my Launch Euro PS3 for one and keep my older launch 60GB USA PS3 as it is ...

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hey if that model plays PS2 games then give me a call ;)

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I don't see it happening. However, maybe that's because I'd rather see Sony focus on software.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I actually like that design but hate the PS3 fonts.....I'm calling BS until I see Jack or Kaz walk out on stage with it.

I would trade in my bedroom 40gig for a new slim.

Bless

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I can see this - lower manufacturing costs to lower retail price. I actually like the supposed redesign better.

They have to do something in this economy as well as compete against MS and Nintendo...

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would be surprised if sony actually did this. i think a price drop is what the PS3 needs. but i do like the looks of the redesign (if real).

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe the two are related. Maybe the re-design uses cheaper components and therefore is cheaper to produce, thus allowing Sony to lower the RRP of the PS3, and give it a relaunch all at the same time.

13. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would love to see that happen

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Would be great to see a redesign - although, I don't think I'd upgrade from my current PS3... Well... I'm a sucker... maybe I would :D.

16. racers macrumors regular

doesn't the cell run too hot for something slim like that?

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Tell me about it, the slim looks cool - the old one ugly...

The redesigned Cell runs a lot cooler... :D

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

If a new PSP and PS3 come out this year.... then I might need more money! Haha, I probably won't end up getting both, just whatever seems to have the biggest change (most likely the PSP).

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a good sign.
    I'm hoping for this actually, if it adds new features somehow or lowers the price then I'm all for it.

21. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I really dont want to see a redesign, to be honest. I love the sharp curves on the current PS3, and when you take into account the different dimensions (for example, the fact that the area surrounding the disc drive cannot be made smaller, only the height can be modified), the end product will look substantially different to the current PS3 (this massive change didn’t really happen with the PS2 as it was a rectangular prism to begin with, it was basically just made a lot thinner). It’s just going to look weird in comparison to the current PS3, which I think is the most imaginative design of the current gen consoles.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I personally do not find the PS3 that attractive. I never have, and I find it to be a console which looks good only from certain angles (usually the ones that in the photos market it), but when its flat horizontal and in a unit - it looks utterly out of sync with everything else, with its elongated bridge over hanging its base.

Whilst the 'Matt' look of the Slim looks cheap and tacky (saving $ I bet) I actually prefer the shape aesthetically to the current model.

Like everything in life, it's different strokes for different folks.

That being said, the PS3 is the first Sony console I've owned which didn't feel like it was being made on the cheap (except the controllers) and I'd hate them to be cutting corners and using crapper parts.

None of us want to see a PS2 Laser issue that plagues pretty much EVERY revision of that console.

23. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Well, if this generation has taught us anything, it's that cheap parts and quality problems will NOT hamper your console's commercial success, as long as it's cheaper. ;)