PS3, to buy or not to buy? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, May 3, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Can anyone suggest a cheap place to buy one... Now im not talking like £100 off, but any deal will do...

I am particularly interested in buying with the GTA IV game so any bundles would be great.

Also if anyone has any reasons why I should/shouldn't buy a PS3 I would be happy to hear them!

Thanks

2. johnnyvenom macrumors newbie

I got a PS3....and I love it. Yes, I own a 360, but after 3 returns (from red ring of deaths), I simply shifted to my sony. GTA is great, and yes they are getting stuff for downloads too. You could try what I did, I purchased it on Sony Credit, and they chopped off $100 on the order and said I didn't have to pay for 12 months. :D

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

I've had a PS3 since August 2007, the 60GB. Got GTA4 the day it came out. After 4 hours of total play, the game will no longer load, apparently it's a pretty widespread problem. If you can't find any deals, no need to hurry. The data corrupts for some reason.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yes, ive heard of the freezing issues, but Ive also read that they are going to issue an update soon to fix the problem. So if I do get a ps3, is there anything I can do with just the console, considering it will be plugged into a dell monitor via DVI and speakers via RCA?

Also what cables do you get with it?

Thanks!

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's a wonderful BluRay player obviously :p

In addition, the Playstation Store has some nice old games and new games. Check out Flow, it's $8 and has no end. Very nice, serene visuals. Can be played for hours if you feel like it.

Which size are you getting? 40GB or 80GB? The 80GB's have been recalled so Sony can put DualShock3's in all of them, and if you can wait till June they'll also include Metal Gear Solid 4 in the box with the 80GB, which also has pretty good backwards compatibility if you have PS2 or PS1 games. The 40GB has NO backwards compatibility for whatever reason.

Hope this helps!

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I dont think the 80GB is avaliable in the UK, this would also probably be outside my price range as the 60GB versions go for well over £300 on eBay.

Out of anyones interest I've found that amazon does a nice PS3 + Game + HDMI cable for £299.99

Sadly for me though this doesnt include GTA IV in the deal.

Anyone got any thoughts on my suggestion of the HDMI -> DVI into the monitor?

All your help is really appreciated!

Thanks!

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

OK so after searching for 2 and a but hours.

I have found my bundle of:

1 x 40GB PS3 (brand new UK Pal version)
    1 x GTA IV
    1 x HDMI to DVI cable (for my monitor)

All for a grand total of £314.95 incl p&p,

So before I purchase, can anyone see anything else I should buy or perhaps knows of a better deal?

Thanks

8. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

i'm waiting to buy a ps3 until they come out with the metal gear pack which is june 12 i believe :D

9. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Anything that's not a Playstation, or made by Sony.

10. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Would you like to expand on that point, perhaps some information on why not, are there any justifiable reasons?

Thanks

11. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Some people just hate Sony!

Maybe it's because most games seem to be available cheaper and with better live/online integration on the 360 at the moment. I know a fair few people with 360s and PS3. All of them bought GTA4 on the 360 for live and d/l content.

None of the European releases ever had backwards compatibility.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Isn't that like $630? :eek:

Sony online here in the US had (or is having) a deal where if you used their Sony credit card, any purchase over $299 they gave a $100 credit. So, I got the 40 Gig PS3 for $299.

Great machine, but wouldn't pay more than that. $630 for the machine, 1 game, and a cable seems way overboard.

13. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well the USA isnt the UK, with the higher cost of living! Searching around this is the cheapest I can find it!

Unless anyone knows anywhere cheaper this is the cheapest deal I have found anywhere!

Thanks

14. asmallchild macrumors regular

Yet another vote for the PS3 too

the 360 is more popular

has a better online network (e.g. GTA4 crashes online on the PS3 more than the 360 version if you believe arstechnica's review)

but it's just too unreliable

apparently, the RROD issues are a thing of the past and have been decreasing steadily over the last couple of months

but I didn't want to put up with that

got a PS3 and it has been absolutely awesome

(guess that makes me anti-MS now that I've switched over to a Mac as well :D)

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'd go PS3, the GTA Problem is solved my logging out of PSN.

Online is free
    MGS4
    GTA Love (Rockstar bringing more DLC to PS3)
    built like a tank

Yes, i do own a 360, and i have GTA on that (Friends mainly)

Also at launch i paid $1,000 for my PS3, with 2 Games, a 40Gb retails for $600...

The US Got it lucky.

16. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Where did you find that? I'm quite tempted too ;)

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

80GB Recall? What?!

Who said that Sony is calling back 80GB for DS3's? This is not official and rumor at best. Sony PS3's have been increasing sales exponentially the past 4mths. Maybe in Europe, but I highly doubt it.

If you can you should wait for the Metal Gear Solid Ultimate bundle. Even though both bundles have 1 DS3 controller and are 40GB (no PS2 game support), the Gun Metal Grey bundle will fetch a pretty penny online as its in EXTREMELY limited quantities when it debuts this summer/fall. You'll make enough to buy several games and another PS3 ;)

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

buy the HDMI cable used or on ebay, the retail cables are incredibly overpriced.

19. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

the UK 40GB PS3 is backwards compatible, but only with PS1 games tho and if its internal storage you're after tho can just pop in a new bigger 2.5" SATA HD. and I have had my 360 for 18-21 months and no failures and only 1 freeze (due to a badly scratched copy of N3) and I think it handles Digital Media better. I have a 1TB FAT32 HDD connected to my 360 with loads of handbrake rips (avi-with xvid Mpeg4 and AC3 Passthrough audio & Apple TV and iPod Setting rips) and xvid and DivX downloads of TV shows, the X-Box plays them all but the PS3 pics and chooses what it will play (from the same HDD) and the results of it change every time i plug in the HD whit some files refusing to play at all

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I just got a 40 gb PS3. Picked up NHL 08, MLB the show and GTA4. ALl of them run great. No complaints. The console is a blast. No reason why I wouldn't recommend it.

21. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Mostly searching around eBay for low buy it nows with low p&p...

Hope above answers your question! The price is £1.89 + postage! Hope thats not a rip off! Ha

22. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I say do it.

All the 360 has over the PS3 is a head start, The PS3 is going from strength to strength this year.

Wipeout HD is going to be great.

I got my Uk 40gb PS3 when the price came down and have never regretted it. I use mine as a media player under the TV also which is great though I did upgrade the HD to a 250gb (and even installed linux on 10gb of it just for fun, unfortunately thats all your allowed 10gb for linux of 10gb for the ps3 else I would have given a bit more but anyway) which was excellently simple.

And the upgrade is another nice feature on the ps3, no 360 overpriced hd's just sony saying do it yourself. Excellent.

Anyway got to go, more GTA IV to play.

23. johnnyvenom macrumors newbie

I must have a jinxed 360

Well, I went through the UK version of SonyStyle, and could not find any of them $100 (or the Sterling version) off deal. Maybe it's there, perhaps ya gotta call in or something. Though it is no % for like 12 months, which ain't too shabby either. Is it possible for you to get the US deal? I got a friend who is able to get stuff from the US Sony Store, and he lives in Scotland. Don't think it's the same thing, but hey, ya never know. :confused:

All I know is that my 360, out of curiosity since we started talking about this stuff, I tried to fire it up again. Played some COD 4, but for some reason it froze up again, and makes really loud noises kinda like a jet engine or something. Plus, despite the ventilated area it's in, the damn thing is still hot. I swear, my 360's gotta be jinxed!

Good luck, pal, on your PS3, I know you'll enjoy it. If not for the games, at least for the movies. And if you're a real nerd like me, you'll swap that hard drive and put in a bigger one, then try and install Yellowdog or Ubuntu (don't worry, it don't mess with the rest of the PS3 much). Anyways, you're gonna have a blast with the thing, congrats!

24. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ah, well, if you're looking for a justified reason why I said that, then you're looking in the wrong place. I don't like their products, I've never had a good experience, and I haven't bought a product made by Sony, besides ones that come in other things I own (like batteries in computers or whatever) for many many years, nor do I plan on starting. :p Just my personal heartfelt hatred.

25. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I bought mine back in August '07 after the $100 price drop on the 60GB version. It's an absolutely fantastic system. I have Resistance: Fall of Man, MLB 08: The Show, Guitar Hero III and GTA IV.

I also have a 360 (pre HDMI) and haven't had a problem with it, but it doesn't get much play anymore.

I just recently picked up the Dual Shock 3 and the charging cable kit (2 10ft cords). Mmmmm.

I'd totally recommend picking one up. Besides the the games, the Blu-Ray player is absolutely stunning and it up converts your DVDs.