Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which console do you own/play most, or which would you buy?

• Sony Playstation 3

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Microsoft XBOX 360

Votes: 28 34.6%

• Total voters

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
but nothing on the Wii appeals apart from the cool 5 minutes of waving the WiiMote I can get at other peoples' houses.

Totally agree with you here, it is nice to be able to play the Wii once and awhile at a friends house, but I don't think I would like being stuck with it. A 360? Not a problem. I actually might buy one in the future for some exclusives I am dying for... like Banjo Kazzoie 3 and the new Goldeneye. (not to mention the other good 2007 exclusives)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I voted PS3 'cause is the shizznit period; high-def gaming OOB, high-def playback, love the controls, user-upgradable HDD, 256VRAM, etc.

The 360 has all that but with 512mb ram :)

Except the PS3 has GTA IV in sub-HD resolution and the 360 has Halo 3 in sub-HD.

PC's have all that plus higher resolutions, better graphics, wide range of control options, upgradeable everything :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
And unfortunately a windows operating system...... I'd rather game on a big steaming turd :D :p

True, but the PS3 has bad online and fewer games, the 360 has RRoD and JET ENGINES and the Wii is gimmicky and last gen.

Nowt wins really!

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008

Except the PS3 has GTA IV in sub-HD resolution and the 360 has Halo 3 in sub-HD.

PC's have all that plus higher resolutions, better graphics, wide range of control options, upgradeable everything :)

well actually it doesnt, some of the current 360 models have hd-dvd which is pointless since its not being used anymore. also with the 360 it costs a fortune to upgrade the harddrive, i paid £40 for a 160gb harddrive for my ps3, which by the way i can also plug in an external USB hard drive of any capacity, so i can actually have so much more harddrive space then the 360. also older versions of the 360 arent even in full hd, and not to mention that they dont even use standard hdmi cables, what is up with that????

and pc's dont actually have higher res since full hd-tvs are in 1920 by 1080, which if you work out through the number of pixels actually on screen is greater than the standard 1280x1024

1920x1080 = 2073600pixels
1280x1024 = 1310720pixels
1440x900(widescreen moniter) = 129600pixels

also pcs have only got better graphics on about one game, that being crysis which to be able to play on highest everything, well you need a dam high spec PC (quad core 2.6, atleast 1gb graphics and about 2gb ram, which is way too expensive). and not a huge number of computers actually have blu-ray in them anyway...also for controls, well you can plug in a usb mouse and keyboard (wired or wireless) into the ps3, and some games on the ps3 such as UT3 let you use mouse and keyboard instead of the gamepad

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
True, but the PS3 has bad online and fewer games, the 360 has RRoD and JET ENGINES and the Wii is gimmicky and last gen.

Nowt wins really!

PS3---Bad Online, No games, Ports Sucks, LAIR(Nuff Said)
Xbox360---Bad Hardware RROD River, 747 Engine, Showing its age(can't keep up with the big boys including the Wii)Halo 3(Nuff Said)
Wii----Badly drawn Online, Gimmicks coming out of the arse, Two GCs duct taped together, 99% of 3rd party titles(Nuff Said)
PC---Windows XP/vista, Nobody really cares anymore, The Witcher(Nuff Said)

DS---Prints money, Collect souls(in japan)...The clear winner this Gen.
PSP--Hack city, GOW:COO, Patapon.....runner up to the DS.

....just playing around guys:)

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
well actually it doesnt, some of the current 360 models have hd-dvd which is pointless since its not being used anymore. also with the 360 it costs a fortune to upgrade the harddrive, i paid £40 for a 160gb harddrive for my ps3, which by the way i can also plug in an external USB hard drive of any capacity, so i can actually have so much more harddrive space then the 360. also older versions of the 360 arent even in full hd, and not to mention that they dont even use standard hdmi cables, what is up with that????

But... it does. The 360 streams HD media, you can buy and download HD films.

Yes it costs a lot to update. And so what if it does? It's upgradeable just like the PS3 - in that you can only add more storage space. You can't add a new CPU or Ram.
Old 360's aren't full HD? Well if it wasn't established that you were a fanboy then we now have an answer :D 1080p is capable via VGA (best still, since it bypasses copyright laws and can upscale DVDs) and Component. 360 does have full HD.
New 360's do support HDMI with standard HDMI cables. Where on earth are you getting your info? Playstationfanboy.com?

and pc's dont actually have higher res since full hd-tvs are in 1920 by 1080, which if you work out through the number of pixels actually on screen is greater than the standard 1280x1024

1920x1080 = 2073600pixels
1280x1024 = 1310720pixels
1440x900(widescreen moniter) = 129600pixels

Come again? Monitors max at 1280x1024? We're not talking about last century here. Heck my 30" Dell monitor has a resolution that makes 1080p cry.

also pcs have only got better graphics on about one game, that being crysis which to be able to play on highest everything, well you need a dam high spec PC (quad core 2.6, atleast 1gb graphics and about 2gb ram, which is way too expensive). and not a huge number of computers actually have blu-ray in them anyway...also for controls, well you can plug in a usb mouse and keyboard (wired or wireless) into the ps3, and some games on the ps3 such as UT3 let you use mouse and keyboard instead of the gamepad

Nope. Seen Bioshock or UT3 in higher than PS3/360 resolutions? Or perhaps the Orange Box? Looks much better. The resolution is higher, you can add more antialiasing, more AF, get higher resolution texture mods, DirectX10...

Blue Ray is important to gaming all of a sudden? Hmm, I must play through all the 50 hour+ games I have on DVD, hell even NDS carts again then. Even GBA Pokemon games can eat up hundreds of hours.

So that's 1 PS3 game with mouse controls? Compared to how many on the PC, most of which also have controller support as well. Or maybe you want to use a Wiimote, 360 controller, racing wheel, wireless/USB/RF/Lan, can use DS or PSP as a controller, map motion tracking to keys, MIDI or anything in anygame (thanks DirectInput, GlovePie and Joy2Key).

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005

I wouldn't really say that the 360 has a user-upgradeable HDD. It's more of an attachment for the 360. Saying the 360 has a user-upgradeable HDD is like saying the PS3 has user-upgradeable controllers. ;)

Nowt wins really!
I don't see why people think the PS3 has bad online. I've never had a problem with it. Never had a problem finding people to play with. Never had a big problem people trash talking and cursing at other players (I have heard this is a big problem with Xbox Live), and never had a problem with the price. Why is it so bad?

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
i started this thread to ask which console was best/most popular. i also thought to myself that pc is going to quickly be involved in this.

firstly you wouldnt need to upgrade the ps3, since it already has 7 cpus running at 3.2ghz, although it has only got 512mb ram, its more than enough to run properly designed games (unlike that crysis bollocks).

also i know new 360s have hdmi, which is why i said 'older versions'. steaming HD content isnt a big deal, dont really know why that came in to it...

the standard screen resolution is 1280x1024, infact most websites are still deisgned to be for 1024x768, i never said you couldnt get higher. if you have enough money, or work somewhere that has a 30" dell screen, fair enough. (if you have a 30" screen you are obviously trying to make up for something else, but only in your case) You be can happy with your 2600x1600 or whatever it is screen resolution, but most screens, and certainly most laptops still use what i said above. so im not actually talking about last century technology you supercilious bastard. games on consoles, whether it be a 360 or ps3 have AA and the actually quality of the texture is the same on all the machines, since they arent going to make a game, such as COD4 3 times.

also blu-ray is quite an important factor since it allows the designers to have upto 50gb of disc space, compared to the inferior 15gb/30gb avaliable from hd-dvd, or even worse the puny 8.5gb from a dual layer DVD. no wonder that 360's are now going to start using blu-ray discs. the one game was to try and get the point across, and well i can use a racing wheel, infact i have a logitech g25 which is one of the most advanced wheels for public use. i have also used wireless keyboard and mouse with the ps3 without needing any drivers, and the same applis to a printer. i can plug in my epsom printer and use that if i so wished to. i can also plug in a usb webcam, and something that most computers dont have is bluetooth, i can use any bluetooth head set with the ps3. much easier than messing around with wires and plugging one into the mic/headphone sockets. i dont know what map motion is and i dont really care since i havent had to use it...

by the way, if you take 50+hours to complete games then you must be an awful gamer. if you are saying that you have 50 games that take one hour+, then they are some pretty bad games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Heh guys, this is like our old forum fights. Had to be a new guy to start one up :D

firstly you wouldnt need to upgrade the ps3, since it already has 7 cpus running at 3.2ghz, although it has only got 512mb ram, its more than enough to run properly designed games (unlike that crysis bollocks).

Crysis is bollocks? Regardless of the gameplay the engine is a technological feat.

also i know new 360s have hdmi, which is why i said 'older versions'. steaming HD content isnt a big deal, dont really know why that came in to it...

No, you said "also older versions of the 360 arent even in full hd" which is false, because full HD=1080p. 1080p is capable over VGA and Component. Therefore all 360's are Full HD, early models just lack HDMI.

the standard screen resolution is 1280x1024, infact most websites are still deisgned to be for 1024x768, i never said you couldnt get higher. if you have enough money, or work somewhere that has a 30" dell screen, fair enough. (if you have a 30" screen you are obviously trying to make up for something else, but only in your case) You be can happy with your 2600x1600 or whatever it is screen resolution, but most screens, and certainly most laptops still use what i said above. so im not actually talking about last century technology you supercilious bastard. games on consoles, whether it be a 360 or ps3 have AA and the actually quality of the texture is the same on all the machines, since they arent going to make a game, such as COD4 3 times.

Not a designer then? You build websites for the lowest common denominator. Which is why most sites avoid Flash, why most sites cater to 800x600, 1024x768 etc. They are sites built for everyone not hardcore gamers. The people who build these huge powerful PC's and monitors past 1080i/p resolutions. You're confusing granny and grandad consumer markets with the gaming market.

You're also getting confused at my point. PS3 and 360 games have limited AA. On a PC I can throw 16x AA onto games without affecting performance with a good graphics card. 16xAA, higher resolution textures and screen resolutions greater than 360/PS3 look better than the aforementioned consoles no matter how much a fanboy you are. You can't buy a new console and up the AA on it or add visual effects to make it look better (look up the many HDR mods for older games).

also blu-ray is quite an important factor since it allows the designers to have upto 50gb of disc space, compared to the inferior 15gb/30gb avaliable from hd-dvd, or even worse the puny 8.5gb from a dual layer DVD. no wonder that 360's are now going to start using blu-ray discs. the one game was to try and get the point across, and well i can use a racing wheel, infact i have a logitech g25 which is one of the most advanced wheels for public use. i have also used wireless keyboard and mouse with the ps3 without needing any drivers, and the same applis to a printer. i can plug in my epsom printer and use that if i so wished to. i can also plug in a usb webcam, and something that most computers dont have is bluetooth, i can use any bluetooth head set with the ps3. much easier than messing around with wires and plugging one into the mic/headphone sockets. i dont know what map motion is and i dont really care since i havent had to use it...

Blue Ray isn't important in gaming. It's a tired topic but please, look at even 1.5gb Cube games that have 14 hour gameplay. Hell look at Crisis Core! Reviewers say it should take 15 hours to complete and that's just 1gb. Oblivion; 5gb. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl; 64mb. So Oblivion is half of a puny game since it's less than 9gb?

So you're saying there are more PS3's out there than computers with bluetooth? Interesting...

by the way, if you take 50+hours to complete games then you must be an awful gamer. if you are saying that you have 50 games that take one hour+, then they are some pretty bad games.

Huh? Have you even played a big game? I rushed through Pokemon Pearl and completed it in 45 hours, Metroid Prime took me 11 hours, FF7's first play through took me 30 hours, Twilight Princess took 30 hours. These aren't obtuse times they're the standard times for epic games. I don't even play the super epic games like Oblivion and lengthy JRPGs.
My Smash Bros Melee clock is at 290 hours and god knows how many hours I've put into other party games and Halo 1. What do you do, beat the game as quickly as possible then don't play it again?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
intersting... with the wii, after reading what was posted it was like deja vu. poeple like it at first but then get really bored with it. also a few said that they would still have the ps3 and one or two said ps3 but have 360 because friends have it.

I think the Wii had a little bit of a "good game drought" during the first year, which is slowly picking up... developers weren't sure what to do with it, or if it would be successful and so were caught with their pants down. Now that it's clearly commercially viable, and designers have had some time with it I think that's starting clear up.

In short, I don't think people got bored with the Wii, but rather with the somewhat limited game selection it had at first. I'm betting second half of '08 and 2009 will be big for the Wii, both through Nintendo games and 3rd party.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
i started this thread to ask which console was best/most popular.
And there have been many threads like this and they always turn into the same flame war. That is why several posts have said this thread is 'going to hell and back'. Usually the people that start threads like these are only wanting to start a flame war.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
PS3---Bad Online, No games, Ports Sucks, LAIR(Nuff Said)
Xbox360---Bad Hardware RROD River, 747 Engine, Showing its age(can't keep up with the big boys including the Wii)Halo 3(Nuff Said)
Wii----Badly drawn Online, Gimmicks coming out of the arse, Two GCs duct taped together, 99% of 3rd party titles(Nuff Said)
PC---Windows XP/vista, Nobody really cares anymore, The Witcher(Nuff Said)

DS---Prints money, Collect souls(in japan)...The clear winner this Gen.
PSP--Hack city, GOW:COO, Patapon.....runner up to the DS.

....just playing around guys:)

Bless

I found your post discusting, lewd, and offensive.

I loved it.... :eek:

I enjoy playing with my Wii.

Don't Wii all... :eek:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I have all three consoles and, at one point or another, I could select any of them as the one I use most often. Depends on the games that I'm playing at the moment.

Right now I spend most of my console time on the PS3, with the Wii a decent 2nd and the 360 fading into memory.
My son spends the majority of his console time on the Wii playing SSBB, SMG, and Pokemon Battle Revolution, with the occasional bout of EoJ on the PS3.
I honestly cannot recall the last time I turned on my 360, but that's not to say it is a bad console with no games. Quite the contrary - I just haven't felt the urge to play a 360 game in a while.

This thread can ony end in flames.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
well actually it doesnt, some of the current 360 models have hd-dvd which is pointless

No they do not. NO 360's EVER came with a HD-DVD drive built in.

also older versions of the 360 arent even in full hd, and not to mention that they dont even use standard hdmi cables

All 360's can output FULL HD, and unlike the PS3 - ALL 360 games can be scaled to 1080p

no wonder that 360's are now going to start using blu-ray discs

No 360 games will ever be released on Blu-Ray PERIOD! :rolleyes:

Please check your facts ;) Ignorance is not bliss, it is just what it is - plain simple ignoranance.

Anyway like i say your poll is slightly bogus as it does not give people multiple choice options, and therefore any result you get from the poll is null void regardless of your obvious lack of 'genuine' knowledge of the subject your posting on.

I have all three consoles and, at one point or another, I could select any of them as the one I use most often. Depends on the games that I'm playing at the moment.

Exactly the same sentiment as my post to this zelmo.

This thread can ony end in flames.

And given the statements I quoted from the OP, I have a sneaky suspicion that was plan all along. It's always 'non' regular Games Forum members who start these threads.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica

Yah I know... Should've specified: High-Def *disc* play back OOB (no stupid [and worthless now] separate player], yes Blu-Ray.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Anyway like i say your poll is slightly bogus as it does not give people multiple choice options, and therefore any result you get from the poll is null void regardless of your obvious lack of 'genuine' knowledge of the subject your posting on.
Actually, it did allow for multiple choice options. At least it did when I voted.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I have a Wii and a PS3, in all honesty there are things I love and hate about them both. My PS3 gets the most play time, but you all know my opinion here, no need to restate my stance :eek: :p

It's all about preference, what you like, screw what others think or like when you are shelling out $50 to $60 per game.

Love, peace, & chicken grease
Ed

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I have PS3, Wii, DS, and PSP. Also old Xbox and PS2. Right now, I'm all about MarioKart on Wii, but that's subject to change at any time. Like when MGS comes out for PS3. I play DS daily, and freakin' love it. Patapon on PSP often too.

I sometimes consider getting a 360, but I just can't justify it (time wise). As for PC gaming, I have an Alienware mx15, and wish I had held out for the mx17, but thus is life. The only games I have on my MBP are puzzle games, and no bootcamp partition. I'm more a constant gamer than a hard core gamer - distinction being the fact that I enjoy all of them, and unlike (seemingly) some of you, nobody has paid me a cent to promote their products. ;)

If I had to pick my favorite out of what I have, I'd pick the PS3, because it has the most potential. But I like them all, so no reason to flame me. :p

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I enjoy playing with my Wii.

Me too :p

I was playing my friend's 360 tonight, and man is it loud. The online in terms of lag seems the same (none on either 360/PS3). But omg in COD4 they practically force the map pack on you (on 360) like if you have not bought it yet they put "BUY MAPS" at the top of the lists. In PS3 they don't do that, thankfully.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Why does the thread title say Xbox Circle... I know it is 360 degrees but the logo is a sphere :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.