PSA: 27-Inch iMac Appears to Have a Pricing Mistake

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple updated its iMac lineup in March with new processor and graphics options, but the latest 27-inch model appears to have a pricing mistake.

[​IMG]

If you start with the $1,999 configuration and upgrade it to have a 3.6GHz eight-core Intel Core i9 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB of SSD storage, the price totals $2,999 with Radeon Pro 575X graphics.

If you start with the $2,299 configuration and upgrade it with those exact same specs, the price also totals $2,999, but with Radeon Pro 580X graphics.

As best as we and the few readers who have tipped us about this issue can tell, there are no other differences between these configurations. As a result, an unknowing customer could end up paying $2,999 for the configuration with Radeon Pro 575X graphics when they could have had 580X graphics for the same price.

While this is a rather specific issue, we wanted to shine some attention on the matter so that others can avoid it, especially given that we have already received a few emails from readers about the matter.

We alerted Apple about this mistake, but they have yet to respond or correct the pricing.

(Thanks, Parker!)

Article Link: PSA: 27-Inch iMac Appears to Have a Pricing Mistake

2. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

3. critter13 macrumors 6502

this has been the case for a while, maybe on other iMacs too. I was pricing one out about a year ago and noticed the difference.

4. Pelea macrumors 6502

I don’t think it’s a mistake.. a 575 and 580 are basically the same card. Apple are just being nice and giving a discount for the 580. How kind of apple!

5. critter13 macrumors 6502

maybe its to incentivize the option that involves less customization

6. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

Apple will probably get this quickly resolved…by jacking up the 580X configuration by a couple hundred bucks.

We should just be grateful the iMac still comes with a stand.

7. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Maybe it's the same faulty logic that caused the new monitor stand to show up as $999 during the WWDC presentation. ;)

8. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

You presume that it is an error. I would give better than even odds that it is not a mistake at all, just opportunistic pricing by Apple.

9. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

10. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

What are you doing, MR?! Never draw attention to a pricing mistake, just go with it! Now, Apple is going to correct the 580X upgrade price by jacking the price!

11. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

You never know what you have until somebody takes it away and charges you $1000 to get it back.

12. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Apple have been doing this kind of thing for a very long time! When I got my Late 2013 MacBook Pro, there were two version available, one with an Nvidia GPU, and one without. If you specced them identically (in my case, I chose 2.6 GHz, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM), you would find that the model with Nvidia would actually be cheaper!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---
    As it is right now, you can get it without a stand for just a little bit more ;)

13. RyanXM macrumors 6502

RyanXM

This is not a mistake by Apple. It has been this way since they were released and I have spoken to multiple people within Apple who tell me that the pricing is correct.

14. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

This has been going on for quite a while. The GPU difference for my iMac 5K late-2015, at the same price, was exactly the same depending on which unit you started from.

15. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

iMac has been overdue for a redesign, I suspect the next iMac to resemble the front of Display XDR with Nano anti-reflection coating as an option and a similar Pro Stand that may not rotate.

16. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Oprah was trying to give everyone a free 580X and MacRumors had to ruin it.

17. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

That would be amazing if the iMac had a counterweighted, tilting, telescoping and rotating stand. I’d gladly pay an extra few hundred bucks for that! Not $999, obviously, but still!

18. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

"We alerted Apple about this mistake, but they have yet to respond or correct the pricing."

Omg snitch

19. MatthewUT44 macrumors member

Why would you alert Apple? Are you guys that dense? Goodness gracious

20. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

For $999 I'd expect the stand to come with Tim Apple to unbox it and set it up. I'd even pay for the beer...

21. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

So are they overcharging one or undercharging the other?

22. iVoid macrumors 65816

I've seen this on other build-to-order configs. If you start with one base model, it can cost more or you don't get the better graphics card. Some configs can only get processors up to a certain level.

Since I have to decide on new Mac specs for my company every time they do a revision, I'm pretty aware of differences in their configurations.

23. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

To my recollection Apple has never been accused of undercharging before, so must be the other... :D

Edit: but seriously, I agree... Why snitch MR?

24. Ojiisan macrumors newbie

Ojiisan