Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPods continue to have a 6-week shipping estimate when purchased through Apple's online store, but AT&T's website currently has the wireless earphones in stock with free delivery in 3-5 business days.

airpods-att.jpg

AT&T sells AirPods for $159, the same price as Apple charges, but the carrier only ships to addresses within the United States, excluding P.O. boxes.

AirPods occasionally appear in stock through Apple resellers like AT&T, but typically not for very long due to a combination of limited supplies and strong demand. For that reason, prospective buyers should order as quickly as possible.

AirPods, driven by Apple's custom W1 chip for one-tap setup, instantly connect to a nearby iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac when taken out of their charging case. The cord-free earphones use optical sensors and a motion accelerometer to detect when they are in your ears and automatically turn on.

Double tapping an AirPod invokes Siri by default, which can be used to adjust the volume, change the song, make a call, or get directions.

AirPods deliver up to five hours of listening time on one charge, and a 15-minute fast charge provides up to three hours of listening time. The charging case holds multiple additional charges for more than 24 hours of listening time.

Article Link: PSA: AirPods In Stock on AT&T's Website With Free 3-5 Day Shipping

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
I really like the look and lightweight idea of these, but siri is a gdang mess when I'm sitting still indoors on my couch. There's no way I'm going to rely on that when I'm outside running into the wind. Not integrating a fast way to control volume and to skip tracks is a no sale for me. Expecting headphone owners to also purchase an Apple Watch to do these simple functions is really a kick in the pods.

I just bought some Jaybird X3s, which can also control siri, but have specific volume and skip track control and cost less.

Reactions: AngerDanger

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Got mine on Verizon in April. It's truly great to have one less pesky wire to tangle up in my pocket.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I really like the look and lightweight idea of these, but siri is a gdang mess when I'm sitting still indoors on my couch. There's no way I'm going to rely on that when I'm outside running into the wind. Not integrating a fast way to control volume and to skip tracks is a no sale for me. Expecting headphone owners to also purchase an Apple Watch to do these simple functions is really a kick in the pods. …

Siri is the one issue I have with AirPods, which sucks because I want to like Siri. I use it frequently to start timers, set reminders, and play music while my device is across the room, but when it doesn't work… it really doesn't work.

By the way, I think Apple is implementing fast track skipping without Siri in iOS 11.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Figures as much... bought them for my wife and myself... the 2nd pair will get delivered today, after I wasted a few weeks checking stores in Toronto, NYC and DC in my work and play travels.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I really like the look and lightweight idea of these, but siri is a gdang mess when I'm sitting still indoors on my couch. There's no way I'm going to rely on that when I'm outside running into the wind. Not integrating a fast way to control volume and to skip tracks is a no sale for me. Expecting headphone owners to also purchase an Apple Watch to do these simple functions is really a kick in the pods.

I just bought some Jaybird X3s, which can also control siri, but have specific volume and skip track control and cost less.
You can skip tracks with taps in iOS 11, and volume is super easy with iPhone or Apple Watch. Much easier than telling Siri to do it even if she was 100% accurate.

nighthawk67

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
Cincinnati, OH

In iOS 11 you can dedicate each ear double tap to different controls such as skip track, play/pause, Siri, etc.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Can I ask how well they sound and how well they fit in the ear?
They sound decent/good/fine. Nothing groundbreaking or great, but not bad by any means. They are better than the EarPods I will say that.

The fit will obviously be subjective. They fit me perfectly and I can barely tell they’re there, but that won’t be everyone’s experience

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They sound decent/good/fine. Nothing groundbreaking or great, but not bad by any means. They are better than the EarPods I will say that.

The fit will obviously be subjective. They fit me perfectly and I can barely tell they’re there, but that won’t be everyone’s experience

Also on a side note, the previous firmware update actually seemed to increase the over all volume and bass. They appear much louder and the bass seems more prominent. At first, I thought it was just me noticing this. Then others were discussing the increased sound as well.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Are they still hard to come by? I haven't followed it.

After 6 months this shouldn't be an issue.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Anyone know if this is a qualified purchase with the bank of america cash rewards card? If I can get this and a charger to get $75 off, it's hard to pass up.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Are they still hard to come by? I haven't followed it.

After 6 months this shouldn't be an issue.
Yep still 6 weeks out. That's why its a big deal if some like Best Buy or other retailer gets them in stock.

Just ordered mine from AT&T. Hope I like them.

I have Bose QC 30s and 35s which I use all the time. Hope to keep these in my pocket so when I go in a store and forget to bring my Bose along I have something to listen to.
So yes I didn't care that Apple got rid of the headphone jack. Hated wired headphones ever since my wired headphones got snagged and destroyed my Creative Nomad. The QC35s long battery life was a game changer. Had a pair of Sennheiser that I could change battery in to get a full day out of them.

Reactions: DJosche

wbc

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Denver, CO
Ordered some. I'm not an audiophile but like good headphones. When ios11 Comes out and I won't have to use Siri so much I think I will like them. If not I'm sure I can sell them at a minor loss or give them to my wife who would like their ease of connecting

EDIT: The updated email they sent me says 'we expect to ship this on the date below' and the date is blank. If they don't ship by Saturday I'm guessing they really don't have any in stock and i'll cancel the order.

Last edited:

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
Siri is the one issue I have with AirPods, which sucks because I want to like Siri. I use it frequently to start timers, set reminders, and play music while my device is across the room, but when it doesn't work… it really doesn't work.

By the way, I think Apple is implementing fast track skipping without Siri in iOS 11.

You can skip tracks with taps in iOS 11, and volume is super easy with iPhone or Apple Watch. Much easier than telling Siri to do it even if she was 100% accurate.

In iOS 11 you can dedicate each ear double tap to different controls such as skip track, play/pause, Siri, etc.

Didn't know that! Thanks!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Are there any non-Apple headphones that make use of the W1 chip? Does Apple even allow a third-party to make headphones with the W1 chip?

vespagirl

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
Ordered some. I'm not an audiophile but like good headphones. When ios11 Comes out and I won't have to use Siri so much I think I will like them. If not I'm sure I can sell them at a minor loss or give them to my wife who would like their ease of connecting

EDIT: The updated email they sent me says 'we expect to ship this on the date below' and the date is blank. If they don't ship by Saturday I'm guessing they really don't have any in stock and i'll cancel the order.

They are in stock, I verified that with an online chat within the AT&T website. Also, my email had the same missing ship date, but there was a note that it is usually the case with accessories. My order has since been updated to preparing to ship, so double check your order status for changes.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
They are in stock, I verified that with an online chat within the AT&T website. Also, my email had the same missing ship date, but there was a note that it is usually the case with accessories. My order has since been updated to preparing to ship, so double check your order status for changes.
I just checked my order status and says

Order status:
Canceled
Your order is no longer in progress because either you canceled it, or we did.
WTF
No E-mail yet
OK after spending long time online chat, than two phones calls. AT&T is out of Airpods in their warehouse. That's is why my order was canceled. Even thought the website still says I can order them.
What a mess.

Last edited:

wbc

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Denver, CO

Order status:
Canceled
WTF
No E-mail yet
OK after spending long time online chat, than two phones calls. AT&T is out of Airpods in their warehouse. That's is why my order was canceled. Even thought the website still says I can order them.
What a mess.

Interesting. I just checked my order and it says 'Preparing to ship' so maybe I got lucky and ended up ordering while there was still inventory after all.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Interesting. I just checked my order and it says 'Preparing to ship' so maybe I got lucky and ended up ordering while there was still inventory after all.
Got my E-mail from AT&T. Says it was canceled because they Couldn't confirm my Identity. LOL This was more in line with what the online chat agent said. But the one I had to call on the phone is the one that said it was because it was out of stock. Of course that was in India.

wbc

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Denver, CO
Got my E-mail from AT&T. Says it was canceled because they Couldn't confirm my Identity. LOL This was more in line with what the online chat agent said. But the one I had to call on the phone is the one that said it was because it was out of stock. Of course that was in India.

That sucks. I just got my shipping confirmation. Didn't plan on buying these cause I haven't even seen any in person but I decided to give them a spin since they were easy to aquire

Reactions: DJosche

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

I agree on the controls. Should be tap for pause, tap-hold for Siri (like a secret service agent in the movies), tap-tap for skip. I'm fine not having volume control because phone buttons are easy for that, but it could be some combo version of tap-tap-hold.

Given Apple's track record with this sort of functionality it wouldn't surprise me for this to be a software update. Also wouldn't surprise me for that to be a v2 only upgrade.
[doublepost=1499402441][/doublepost]
Are there any non-Apple headphones that make use of the W1 chip? Does Apple even allow a third-party to make headphones with the W1 chip?
Beats, right?
;)

DJosche

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2017

Order status:
Canceled
WTF
No E-mail yet
What a mess.
I ordered mine on Sunday at like noon, and just got an email saying they are processing it. Did you get an email saying that before it was cancelled?

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I ordered a few days ago, my order was cancelled today. I was not logged in to my account the first time. I re-ordred an hour ago, then got an email to call and verify information... the rep could not do anything but cancel the order, but then transferred me to another rep who hung up on me when "transferring" me again. Then I noticed that Best Buy has them in stock online with free two day shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.