Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its announcement last month, Apple today officially flipped the switch to allow parents to share their Apple Card with their teenagers or friends and the ability for spouses to co-own a single Apple Card account. However, one notable feature that didn't get released today is the ability for two separate Apple Card accounts to be merged into one.

apple-card-family.jpg

Apple announced the feature last month but didn't specifically pin a release date. Now, in a new support document, Apple says that starting later on in July, users will be able to merge two existing Apple Card accounts into one, and in doing so, be able to combine their credit limits.
Coming July 2021: You will be able to invite another Apple Card owner to combine credit limits and form one co-owned account.1
The ability to share an Apple Card with iCloud Family members above 13 years old and the ability to co-own an Apple Card were released today as part of the iOS 14.6 update.

Article Link: PSA: Apple Card Owners Won’t Be Able to Combine Existing Accounts Until July

_Spinn_

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
So does adding a co-owner who currently doesn’t have an Apple Card not increase your credit limit?

I thought you were supposed to get a combined credit limit and the lower of the 2 APRs. Is that only when both have an existing Apple Card?

Edit: So I finally got my wife's phone to update. I shared my card with her as a co-owner and she was accepted immediately. Our APR stayed the same but our credit limit did increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: mansplains
Comment

Think|Different

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2021
I simply don’t get how, if one partner’s Apple Card is closed, that doesn’t get reported as a closed card to the credit bureaus? If this is the case, I guess there’s no good reason for us to do this, outside of just wanting to see combined use.

• Sad
Reactions: LeadingHeat
Comment

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
I simply don’t get how, if one partner’s Apple Card is closed, that doesn’t get reported as a closed card to the credit bureaus? If this is the case, I guess there’s no good reason for us to do this, outside of just wanting to see combined use.
Yea I don’t really understand how it couldn’t be reported as a closed credit card either, unless all they do is update the account number and credit limit.

As long as closing a credit card doesn’t increase someone’s overall credit utilization, there’s really no negative consequence to closing a credit card though.

Reactions: erniefairchild1
Comment

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Yea I don’t really understand how it couldn’t be reported as a closed credit card either, unless all they do is update the account number and credit limit.

As long as closing a credit card doesn’t increase someone’s overall credit utilization, there’s really no negative consequence to closing a credit card though.
It can impact your credit history

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I have an Apple Card, and honestly I somewhat avoid putting stuff on it unless it is really worth the rewards (like Apple product) because of the fact it doesn't integrate with financial wellness apps, like Mint.

Support for Mint or other finanical wellness sites/apps is the enhancemnet I'm really waiting for.

Comment

nattK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I have an Apple Card, and honestly I somewhat avoid putting stuff on it unless it is really worth the rewards (like Apple product) because of the fact it doesn't integrate with financial wellness apps, like Mint.

Support for Mint or other finanical wellness sites/apps is the enhancemnet I'm really waiting for.
Chances are they'll probably introduce their own financial wellness app/feature than introducing full Mint integration. With Mint they can't ensure the privacy they're marketing the Apple Card with since it means giving a third-party access to your transaction history. Heck, not even Goldman Sachs' own Marcus Insights integrates with the Apple Card.

Comment

WeatherWeasel

macrumors regular
May 6, 2021
Des Moines, Iowa
I have two cards, one is the apple, I try not to use it other than my app subscriptions and I admit an occasional pizza at Domino's. I don't see the value for me to put someone else on my card. My worry is that they might buy a lot of things and delay forking over any money my way to pay for the bill. then my credit rating dies a terrible death. Same goes for putting a kid on one. I suspect that apple would allow a credit limit for those who are add-ons, if they don't then they need to.

So if I do get an iPhone 13 (because I have the 8s, enjoy the finger print unlock) or an iwatch 7, I will use the pay off option on my apple card. But other than that, nada. The wife and daughter have their own cards and responsible for that.

So far I haven't any rewards, but maybe next fall when we break the bank ;)

Comment

poseidondev

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
It's a misconception that your credit history is impacted just by virtue of closing a card.
The reason why credit scores go down when closing a card has to do with two separate factors; utilization and average credit age.

I've gone into detail when the matter got brought up the last time. See my post below

Reactions: tbayrgs
Comment

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
The closed account would still remain on your report for up to ten years, the history of those payments will still be on there. Unless you were going from 1 to 0 credit cards not much is going to change as far as Fico score goes.

Comment

poseidondev

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015

Understandable, I've found Copilot's implementation pretty digestible by having the option for me to import my statements.

That way I still have the benefit of the insights Copilot provides, albeit it delayed until the card's statement date.

Comment

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I have two cards, one is the apple, I try not to use it other than my app subscriptions and I admit an occasional pizza at Domino's. I don't see the value for me to put someone else on my card. My worry is that they might buy a lot of things and delay forking over any money my way to pay for the bill. then my credit rating dies a terrible death. Same goes for putting a kid on one. I suspect that apple would allow a credit limit for those who are add-ons, if they don't then they need to.

I think the idea is you share that with a family member that y’all share accounts with, similar to how everyone might have a debit card for the same checking account.

As for the kids, I believe there’s a limit you can put on their part of it, maybe $50 if they’re going with friends to the movies or something.

I see a bigger concern that they get to the movies and they don’t accept Apple Pay.

Comment

kingtj1971

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
I really wish they would allow this with Apple IDs, I hate having different Store and iCloud and Apple IDs.

Just figure out how to let people merge them already. Its 2021.

I kept asking for this, years ago. Totally agree. I've got an old iCloud account I created specifically to use with an iPad that was dedicated to music creation/editing. So that account had a lot of somewhat expensive apps registered under it that were various virtual synthesizers from KORG and a recording studio package, etc. It's been years since I had that iPad and now I'd just like a way to xfer whatever I bought with that ID to the one I actually use daily with all of my devices.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
When Apple announced Apple Card sharing, there was a lot of discussion here about the downside of closing one of a couple's existing accounts. Giving this latest news, I take it that the issue was a real risk, and that Apple is working on a procedure to mitigate it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be telling people to wait for July.

Comment

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
What? I use the same ID for both.
When I first got my Mobile Me account (and then later transitioned to a new iCloud account) it wouldn't let me use my existing Apple ID, that I had been using to buy Music/Movies/Tv shows with, and just add it as an email since it was its own Apple ID. So thus I am forever stuck with 2 Apple IDs since they don't seem to care enough to let people like me combine them and I don't want to lose my vast collection of media and app purchases over the last approx. 15 years.

Comment

gecko579

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
Chapel Hill
Here’s the killer app: being able to cancel ONLY the kid’s card which was lost instead of ALL THE CARDS. Any idea if this is possible with the Apple Card with whatever “unique” ID scheme it uses?

Comment

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
I see a bigger concern that they get to the movies and they don’t accept Apple Pay.
You’d be hard pressed to find one that doesn’t. I don’t bother carrying a card anymore, the only places that I shop that don’t take Apple Pay are Amazon Grocery, Kroger, or Walmart, and they all have their own pay apps I’m signed up for too. I can’t think of any place that still requires a physical card?

Comment

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
When I first got my Mobile Me account (and then later transitioned to a new iCloud account) it wouldn't let me use my existing Apple ID, that I had been using to buy Music/Movies/Tv shows with, and just add it as an email since it was its own Apple ID. So thus I am forever stuck with 2 Apple IDs since they don't seem to care enough to let people like me combine them and I don't want to lose my vast collection of media and app purchases over the last approx. 15 years.
This is an issue for me too, they finally let me change the email on my Apple ID but it won’t let me remove my old one.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.