PSA: AT&T increases upgrade fee again for the 2nd time in 9 months

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ion-fee-has-gone-from-0-to-25-since-mid-2015/
    Your thoughts? At what point is the nickel & diming customers with bogus fees too much?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Not surprising at all since Verizon set theirs at $30. It sucks. T-Mobile looks better and better every day.

3. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

And the funny thing is that these very practices are the reason customers are leaving.

5. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

I still wish I hadn't given up my account :/

6. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Why should they stop doing that if people are still giving them money, willingly?
    It is easy to demonize companies, but companies are only doing what's best for them, and looks like for AT&T and its subscribers, the fees are still below their customers' limit.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I switched from AT&T to Verizon in October last year because Verizon actually offered more data for less money on the plans I compared. The coverage is better and I was able to take advantage of some great trade in deals for our old iPhones. Unfortunately, Verizon is charging this same $30 upgrade fee now, which is annoying but not terrible since it's an additional $10 every year or two depending on how often I upgrade.

8. Black05Hemi macrumors regular

Right. Except, their coverage is about half as good. You get what you pay for.

9. ray737, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017

ray737 macrumors 6502

That's clearly a personal opinion. I switched from ATT to TMO and the coverage seems to me about the same everywhere I have been except in Death Valley, which fortunately I was only there for a day. Even then they roamed on another network.

Also in NYC in my condo with ATT I always had 2 bars. With TMO I have 5 bars. So stating that TMOs coverage is half as good is BS!

10. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

But if that missing half is where only 5% of the people are, who cares? I constantly find myself in a AT&T dead hole and ask my daughter how many bars she has on her TM phone and she always has better coverage.

Blanket statements like yours are meaningless.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I get a better signal with Tmobile than ATT here in the greater LA area.

12. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

I would switch to T-Mobile if they had good coverage in my area. :\

13. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

There is no AT&T upgrade fee if you buy your device in the Apple store. I did not pay one.

This thread is misleading.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And they will continue to lose more subscribers.
    Setting more free to go without paying an ETF :D
    Keep it up AT&T.
    Im so glad I left them.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2017 ---
    Verizon and AT&T are always copying each other fees and coming out with new and clever ways on how to provide less and charge more.
    Not surprised at all with them ripping off their customers.

15. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yep. I always get my iPhones from Apple via Apple program.

16. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

Except with Verizon they charge an upgrade fee even if you purchase a phone at the Apple Store.

17. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Except it is not misleading at all. AT&T calls it an upgrade fee themselves, and now charges more. The OP is just stating the facts. If the thread had been saying that AT&T charges you $30 to switch to a new phone I would agree with you, as that is a more ambiguous statement. However, the thread does not state this. Granted people do question whether or not they will pay the upgrade fees because of the wording the carrier uses. If the carriers were more clear, stating: "if you upgrade your phone through one of our plans we will charge you $X more", that would be better but paints them in a worse light than just a plain/generic upgrade fee increase statement.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

After years we dumped the two remaining unlimited data plans. We were only using abut 7 go max. My new family plan decrease my bill from $275 down to $165. I swore I would never do it but it was becoming a waste for me.

$110 savings for our service is good! No regrets.

19. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

I was on the unlimited data plan. Switched it with this price increase. Paid the remaining balance on my next program and went to a prepaid plan with unlimited talk and text and 4gb data. Went from $120/month after 20% discount, to 43ish a month no discount. One line. Still with att. Debating on switching carriers when the iPhone 8 comes out

20. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

You would think AT&T would try more competitive pricing schemes rather than copying Verizon if they are hemorrhaging customers, but to each their own...

21. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I usually get my upgrade fee waived by at&t every year just by asking them in the live chat.

22. Legionnaire Suspended

same.

23. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm not an AT&T customer but I do think that's ridiculous. I'm with Verizon and just found out a few days ago after upgrading to the iPhone 7 that we're (Verizon customers) are charged $30 for an upgrade. Which I think is ridiculous.

24. Sinna17 macrumors newbie

fake news y'all. unless you're on a grandfathered plan you will almost always have an upgrade fee.