Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I was going to buy one of these and do a charging test on my iPhone 11 Pro Max - charge via my 18W USB-C charger with the Lightning cable and then charge with the Magsafe connected to the same USB-C 18W adapter and see the charging time difference between both. However it appears when not using an iPhone 12, the power output for QI charging is 7.5W instead of 12W which would explain the longer charge time. I suppose the question remains whether the 7.5W output is by design or an issue. Maybe like AirPower they had heat-related issues when output power is higher.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Why? It works as advertised for its advertised purpose (iPhone 12s)
Not quite. It charges 50% slower than an identical Wattage lightning fast charger. Weak magnets make accessories impractical. The charger isn’t well designed for its “MagSafe” namesake purpose. Overall it’s more of a hassle than a feature, in this iteration at least.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maconplasma

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
This is how Apple has always treated last year's customer.
Really now? Then I guess my 11 year old iMac that is supported under High Sierra and many other customers with 2012 Macs that are running the latest Catalina without fake hacks and patches definitely prove that Apple treats "last year's customer" like trash.

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
Man so glad that I saw this article. I ordered one of these chargers about a week ago, but it was not set to ship until mid November or so. Just cancelled my order.

What wireless charger do you all recommend?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
What wireless charger do you all recommend?
I’ve been very happy with Anker’smchargers that stand the phone up, rather than laying on a pad. It’s easier to ensure they’re properly positioned, the phone is less likely to get nudged off the right spot without noticing, and it’s tilted up, so if you hear a notification come in you can just glance over at it in most cases.

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
I thought the same way, before I got my iPhone 8. What you’re missing is a paradigm shift - the act of charging changes character. Before, I would have to do some nominal planning to charge my phone: “I’m going to charge it now”, or “I’m going to charge it later this evening” or some such. But now, with Qi charging, I don’t have to plan to charge - I just set my phone on the stand (which I would do anyway) and it’s charging. You make a big point about “at least you can use the phone while it’s charging”, missing the way it actually works - yes, when I pick up my phone for two minutes to do something, the phone isn’t charging. But as soon as I set it back down, it resumes charging again. At any given time throughout the day, my phone like has more charge on it than yours does. Wireless charging removes much of the worry about charging, because you’re so rarely running on a low battery.

My biggest issue with wireless charging at this point is, I’m annoyed that my iPad doesn’t have it, and I still have to think aboutl and plan for, plugging it in.

Exactly. I would not even consider a phone without wireless charging. I never think about charging. I never worry about my charge. Because when I set my phone down in my office, kitchen, living room, bedroom, or car. It is charging. When I'm not using my phone. It is getting a top off.

Now, I don't get the point of Magsafe. It is a more cumbersome version of wired charging, with little benefit.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I used to think this, but once you get used to just grabbing and going, especially if you're constantly walking to and from your desk at work and have to keep your phone with you, it's pretty addicting; especially when my desk has an inclined wireless charger... so I have my phone there and when an alert comes in, thanks to Face ID (which I still generally prefer Touch ID), I can just look at it and check the alerts without having to reach for it.

Total first world "problems", but handy nonetheless.

Totally agree. I have an XS Max on a wireless charging stand. It keeps it in place so it charges every time, and it faces me so I can see notifications, answer calls, have zoom conferences etc - all while charging. I still keep a lightning cable and charger there in case I need to fast charge, but with working from home, my phone is essentially constantly on the wireless charger. I was initially concerned with battery damage. However if the battery health percentage is anything to go by, its actually better for the battery than fast charging every day. Year 1 health dropped from 100% to 91% with only fast charging. Year 2 still at 91% with 90% wireless charging.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
I am not comfortable using my xs max with the charging cable plugged in. A magsafe like accessory, would be more comfortable, for me.

Can’t see it. Neither method eliminates a dangling cable which you find uncomfortable.

Have you actually used MagSafe? You’ll be gripping the puck and part of the cable when using it.

Whereas if it’s plugged into the lightning port you don’t touch the cable at all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Can’t see it. Neither method eliminates a dangling cable which you find uncomfortable.

Have you actually used MagSafe? You’ll be gripping the puck and part of the cable when using it.

Whereas if it’s plugged into the lightning port you don’t touch the cable at all.
Having the cord dangling from the bottom is the issue. I think it's less intrusive from the back.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I dread the day Apple decides we should all use wireless chargers. The way it's going now, it's highly inefficient and overly complicated.

Spoddles

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
It would just be sooooo much easier if they just shoved a small radioisotopic nuclear battery in to them. Spacecraft from the 70’s used them and they lasted for 30+ years and pumped out 40 watts. I’m sure we can shrink ‘em down to fit in ya phone. A little radiation never hurt anyone. ?

bbmertz

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
Charlotte, NC
How fast will the MagSafe charger charge an iPhone 12 in a thin non-MagSafe case? Would it still charge at 7.5w like a Qi charger? My apologies if this was already answered in this lengthy thread.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
When it comes to Qi charging, for me, it’s almost never a situation where I need a lot of juice fast. Overnight on my bed stand, I couldn’t care less if it was 5W or 50W, I’ll get a full charge when I’m up in the morning anyways.

At my desk, I’ve got a Qi charging stand, phone pretty much lives there all day, 5W or 15W, couldn’t care less.

Only a few rare instances where I‘ve got no juice and need some juice fast, well, the usb-c to lightning cable will work in a pinch with fast charging. Next time I upgrade my phone, I’m not going to go out of my way to get a 20W usb-c charger just so I can get 15W with MagSafe. I’m quite happy with 13W with MagSafe using my existing MacBook Pro charger or just simply the MagSafe cable plugged into my MacBook Pro or my iPad Pro.

Heck, I wish I could get usb-c in my iphone and AirPods Pro charging case and then I can pretty much toss aside all my lightning cables.

ramram2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
hi guys.smbdy help me plz
i have an iphone X with ios 14.7
yesterdat i bought a magsafe
(serial number on cable and box are the same . apple site verified serial)

many forums says iphone should show original magsafe'serial number in Setting/About

the question is:
just iphone 12 family shows that?
or not and my magsafe is fake!?!

who has tested real magsafe with an iphone 12 and an old iphone ? like iphone 8,x,xs and 11

share ur experience with me thx all ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.