Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PSA: Non-iPhone 12 Models Charge Super Slowly With MagSafe Charger

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I really hope so. I would really like MagSafe if it ends up working well. I don’t think it’s a stupid gimmick like some people seem to. Unfortunately my first go around with it would support their view more than mine at this point. So I hope this gets resolved.
Well this is the internet, where at times hyperbole reigns supreme, but I’m sure at Apple HQ some conversations are being had.

MaxYuryev

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
Guys seriously? Maybe it’s an honest mistake but this is the second time we create a video and send it as a tip to your website and you guys make an article the next day talking about it but with no reference to our video.

Last time it was about Windows getting Metal support based on what we found in the Apple developer info.

This time I did a ton of testing and posted the video at 4:45 PM and sent you and 9 to 5 Mac at the same time. They published an article on it with a few of our findings and embedded our video with the full detailed tests really early next morning and you guys waited about 9 more hours and then published your much shorter simpler tests.

I understand wanting to verify my findings and adding that in and then sharing our video which we posted on youtube and sent you close to 24 hours earlier but not mentioning it at all and posting like it’s your finding?

Maybe it’s just coincidence for the second time now but this has not happene to us with any other publication..

Alongside the iPhone 12 models, Apple introduced a new $39 MagSafe Charger that's meant to work with the magnets in the iPhone 12 Pro models to charge them up at a maximum of 15W.

The MagSafe Charger is technically able to be used with older iPhones, but it's not a good idea because the charging with non-iPhone 12 devices is so slow.

We did two tests with the iPhone XS Max, draining the battery down to 1 percent, putting it in Airplane Mode, and then charging for a half an hour.

In the first test, the MagSafe charger charged the iPhone XS Max to 13 percent in 30 minutes, and in the second test, it charged the iPhone XS Max to 14 percent in 30 minutes.

We've tested a lot of Qi-based wireless chargers and have never seen 7.5W Qi charging speeds that slow. For reference, a 7.5W charger is able to charge an iPhone to about 25 percent in a half hour.

We specifically tested the iPhone XS Max in the exact same conditions as the MagSafe charger with a standard 7.5W Belkin charger and it charged to 26 percent in the 30 minute window.

For those who don't have an iPhone 12 and were considering getting a MagSafe charger to use with an older iPhone, don't. It's not worth it for the slow charging speeds and you're better off with a standard Qi charger.

The MagSafe charger will work fine with the iPhone 12 and should charge faster than Qi, but it's not as fast as charging with the Lightning to USB-C cable and a 20W power adapter, as Joanna Stern found out in a charging speed test. That's not too surprising because a Lightning to USB-C charger paired with a 20W+ power adapter enables fast charging, where the iPhone 12 models can charge to 50 percent in one half hour.

Article Link: PSA: Non-iPhone 12 Models Charge Super Slowly With MagSafe Charger

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If they just opened up the unecessary speed cap to all chargers, like every other company, including qi, the problem would be solved for the user. But, then they can't try to monopolize an accessory. This is business as usual for Apple.

Reactions: JKAussieSkater

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle

Alongside the iPhone 12 models, Apple introduced a new $39 MagSafe Charger that's meant to work with the magnets in the iPhone 12 Pro models to charge them up at a maximum of 15W.

The MagSafe Charger is technically able to be used with older iPhones, but it's not a good idea because the charging with non-iPhone 12 devices is so slow.

We did two tests with the iPhone XS Max, draining the battery down to 1 percent, putting it in Airplane Mode, and then charging for a half an hour.

In the first test, the MagSafe charger charged the iPhone XS Max to 13 percent in 30 minutes, and in the second test, it charged the iPhone XS Max to 14 percent in 30 minutes.

We've tested a lot of Qi-based wireless chargers and have never seen 7.5W Qi charging speeds that slow. For reference, a 7.5W charger is able to charge an iPhone to about 25 percent in a half hour.

We specifically tested the iPhone XS Max in the exact same conditions as the MagSafe charger with a standard 7.5W Belkin charger and it charged to 26 percent in the 30 minute window.

For those who don't have an iPhone 12 and were considering getting a MagSafe charger to use with an older iPhone, don't. It's not worth it for the slow charging speeds and you're better off with a standard Qi charger.

The MagSafe charger will work fine with the iPhone 12 and should charge faster than Qi, but it's not as fast as charging with the Lightning to USB-C cable and a 20W power adapter, as Joanna Stern found out in a charging speed test. That's not too surprising because a Lightning to USB-C charger paired with a 20W+ power adapter enables fast charging, where the iPhone 12 models can charge to 50 percent in one half hour.

Article Link: PSA: Non-iPhone 12 Models Charge Super Slowly With MagSafe Charger
I always thought Magnetic Induction charging systems are meant for convenience not speed. Plop it down on your car console while you drive or onto your desk while you work when plugging is not what you would normalizing do. I place my iPh11 on a Belkin QI at night and the phone almost alway fully recharges. Occasionally the phone is off center a bit on the Qi and it doesn't charge. This is where the Magsafe would be better since the hold in place magnetics should ensure a correct placement.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Guys seriously? Maybe it’s an honest mistake but this is the second time we create a video and send it as a tip to your website and you guys make an article the next day talking about it but with no reference to our video.

Last time it was about Windows getting Metal support based on what we found in the Apple developer info.

This time I did a ton of testing and posted the video at 4:45 PM and sent you and 9 to 5 Mac at the same time. They published an article on it with a few of our findings and embedded our video with the full detailed tests really early next morning and you guys waited about 9 more hours and then published your much shorter simpler tests.

I understand wanting to verify my findings and adding that in and then sharing our video which we posted on youtube and sent you close to 24 hours earlier but not mentioning it at all and posting like it’s your finding?

Maybe it’s just coincidence for the second time now but this has not happene to us with any other publication..
Probably youtubers are tripping over themselves to get out videos so they get the clicks and revenue (and 15 minutes of fame). There is probably a lot of competition in all of the same general 5 areas: 5g testing, battery life, screen and camera, wireless charging, performance.

• Disagree

rphelps1992

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
Mercer Island, Washington
Wireless charging is quite frankly pretty stupid at this point. If Apple really does remove the charging port in the 13-series phones I will need to re-evaluate whether or not I really want to keep using iPhones, which sucks because I do have a strong preference for iOS over Android.

Last edited:

Velli

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
That’s incorrect. A modern dishwasher is much more efficient than washing by hand, because it uses much less water and therefore less water needs to be heated.

Dryers, however, are inefficient. Air drying in summer has a big effect.
Well, yes, bad example on my part (my hot water doesn’t come from electricity, but CO2 wise you’re probably still right). My point still stands though, power usage from phones, regardless of how you charge them, is an insignificant portion of our carbon footprint. A much more important factor is how often we replace our phones... but that is a very inconvenient truth for geeks like us 😉

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
I don't disagree. Apple will come away from this unscathed, but isn't Qi supposed to be a "standard"? Don't Qi-based chargers need to meet certain specifications to be certified?
Obviously there is some sort of problem. Bad batch in manufacturing , software issue etc.? Apple has advertised this as a standard Qi charger for those without an iPhone 12 which is also obvious that it's not working as advertised. They will have to address this and soon! Let's just wait and see instead of knee jerk reactions by many on here.

samfoxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I don’t get the fascination with wireless charging. I can either plug in a device so I can lay a phone on top of it to charge or I can simply plug the phone using its charging port. At least with the charging cable connected you can pickup the phone and use it and make calls. Now wireless charging would be a neat idea if I can use the phone and charge it without having to lay the phone over a charger.

Reverse charging is an even a tougher sell to me. Why would I drain my battery to charge another device? I’d rather charge that device with its own cable.

“Think different. Apple” - practical/logical or not doesn’t matter;) /s

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
That’s incorrect. A modern dishwasher is much more efficient than washing by hand, because it uses much less water and therefore less water needs to be heated.

Dryers, however, are inefficient. Air drying in summer has a big effect.
Did you forget the electricity that a modern dishwasher uses? Our "modern" LG dishwasher (which we rarely use except when we have family over for dinner) runs for 2 hours to clean them. 2 hours of electricity costs me a lot more than the extra water I would use doing them by hand (which is mostly rinse water since I would use the same wash water for all the dishes). I would guess that electricity would consume more resources to generate than the water used, also.

Reactions: Petey07

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Did you forget the electricity that a modern dishwasher uses? Our "modern" LG dishwasher (which we rarely use except when we have family over for dinner) runs for 2 hours to clean them. 2 hours of electricity costs me a lot more than the extra water I would use doing them by hand (which is mostly rinse water since I would use the same wash water for all the dishes). I would guess that electricity would consume more resources to generate than the water used, also.
Don’t think you can determine what the electric costs for 2 hours of usage from a dishwasher. My LG refrigerator runs constantly. The tech said my model uses 1/4 amp... about 30 watts.

spartan1967

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2019
Didn't read through all the replies, so apologies if someone brought up this point already. I was actually considering buying a MagSafe charger for my XS before reading this article. Reasonable to say this was a miss on Apple's part to make sure all eligible iPhones would benefit the same with this new gadget.

Hardware limitation on older phones? Maybe, but Apple could have done something to get a better charging rate than the testing shows. No MagSafe for me.

Reactions: Ramchi

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Reverse charging is idiotic though. Who wants to use a more important device that needs to be charged everyday to top off a less important device that rarely needs to be charged like AirPods (not to mention the loss of energy due to the inefficient charging method)?

Considering you can get an hour extra on the AirPods Pro with about 5 minutes wireless charge. The reverse charge is defiantly worth it. And will barely use much juice from your iPhone. So it's not idiotic, and will be a lifesaver on the go.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Never really care for wireless charging. Too slow and phone heats up a bit. Not for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.