Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a small but significant change to the way the Notification Center works in the latest iOS 16.2 beta, older notifications are now shown by default without having to swipe up.

ios-16-2-beta-notifiation-center.jpg

In the current release as well as earlier versions of iOS 16, users do not automatically see older notifications in the Notification Center like they did in iOS 15, and instead must manually swipe up from the middle to reveal them, if there are any.

In other words, if a new notification is received and the user unlocks and then locks their iPhone without interacting with it, iOS treats it as an old notification and sends it to the Notification Center where it is hidden, which some users say often results in important notifications being missed.

Note that in iOS 16.2 beta 4, the Lock Screen still hides older notifications unless the user swipes up from the middle of the screen. The change to showing older notifications by default only applies to Notification Center, which can be pulled down with a swipe down from the top of the screen when the iPhone has been unlocked.

Whether or not the change will make it into the official release of iOS 16.2, due later this month, is unknown, but if it does, many users will welcome the new behavior as an improvement to the way iOS deals with older notifications.

Article Link: PSA: Older Notifications No Longer Hidden in Notification Center in iOS 16.2 Beta 4

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Speaking of notifications, after upgrading to 16.1.2, I now have a settings notification I can’t get rid of. It’s for a “Get Help During an Emergency” button at the top of settings, but nothing happens when I press it.

aorr

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
I’ve never noticed this…? In Notification settings, you can change Stack back to List. Or is this something else?
This would be different. That is how notifications collapse or stack on top of each other from the same app. This “new” feature is that we will hopefully see below the latest notifications all of the previous ones that used to be hidden below the Lock Screen. (From my understanding. I haven’t installed it yet).

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
ok, good.

now give us back the ability to swipe away/"x out" a banner notification for good whilst checking it.

the fact that I can long press a banner notification to enlarge it (mainly to check a security cam still or short vid, etc.) and view it...only to be forced to enter the app (don't need to) or swipe away the notification, get to my Notification Center, find that notification and swipe it away from there...seems odd to me and is a pain in the ass daily.

PauloSera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2022
Yuck, this should at the very least be an option tied to the notifications settings that don't actually work right now anyway.

I like having it the way it is. New and Time Sensitive Notifications only. Other crap you've already ignored is there but requires (gasp!) a swipe up to see them. That's how it should be.

gank41

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2008
I wish there was a way to see every notification you've received (even if you've tapped it to launch the app associated with the notification). I hate that once you've accessed it, it's gone for good.
You mean like some kind of "Browser History" but for your Notifications? I suppose I can see how that could be useful. Maybe having something like "Settings / Notifications / History", and for kicks even making it look like the Notification Center (albeit with the Settings App's greyed out background as opposed to your Lock Screen art), and even sticking to the same behavior whether they're grouped or stacked or whatever.. Just an endless list of every notification received in the order received? I think a lot of folks could find that useful.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
It sounds like I'm in the minority here but I like the hidden older/lower priority notifications in iOS 16. Hopefully we can keep it as an option.

Edit: It keeps my notification center less cluttered, which is helpful. I can get tons of notifications from various apps (most are not important but every once in a while they are, which is why I keep them on). That's a big reason why it's helpful for me to have notifications hidden.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2008
It sounds like I'm in the minority here but I like the hidden older/lower priority notifications in iOS 16. Hopefully we can keep that as an option.
Same, I like being able to choose having specific apps show prominently while others stay hidden away until I swipe up. It seemed pretty harsh when using it initially over the summer, but I've gotten used to it much like I'm used to not having a bunch of apps on my Home Screens. I do hope they make this an option, though, as it can be made to "make sense" from both viewpoints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.