Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If you absolutely want to you can do it with Luna Display (hardware solution) or AirServer (software only), but it performed horribly when I tried on my M1 MBA
Did you try Luna Display or AirServer or both? As far as I can tell, Luna Display is not a hardware solution. It uses resources of the Mac to compress video and uses the WiFi or network of the Mac to transmit the video. You might as well be using Screen Sharing.app. The dongle makes the Mac think there's a real display so I guess it might be better than a virtual display - what BetterDummy (or Dummy Display) uses - but the virtual display solution may have better modes to choose from.

Mchuv

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020

Attachments

• 16473861071235073045584030279409.jpg
    16473861071235073045584030279409.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 49

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Did you try Luna Display or AirServer or both? As far as I can tell, Luna Display is not a hardware solution. It uses resources of the Mac to compress video and uses the WiFi or network of the Mac to transmit the video. You might as well be using Screen Sharing.app. The dongle makes the Mac think there's a real display so I guess it might be better than a virtual display - what BetterDummy (or Dummy Display) uses - but the virtual display solution may have better modes to choose from.
I have all 3 Luna display dongles. I tried today Mac to Mac screen sharing and PC to MAC screen sharing. It works very well.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
worked with my 2021 MBP and iPad mini 5
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 9.37.15 AM.png

Okay it suddenly worked with both my 12.9 inch iPad Pro and the iPad mini 6 without any change of settings. Weird!

At the bottom it is my MacBook Pro, connected to an external 27 inch 4K monitor via USB-C on top, then the iPad Pro on the left and the iPad mini on the right. Interesting that I had to move the cursor up to the external display first, then move left or right to push the cursor into the iPads. I can't drag the iPads down to the sides of the MacBook Pro in the Display settings as shown above.

Sub.0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Did Apple put a limitation now on how many Devices can be connected? I tried connecting 3 iPads together, but it is telling me to disconnect one in order to connect the other one. I recall seeing a video of 5 devices connected. An iPad Pro > MacBook Pro > iPad Mini > iMac /w External Display > MacBook Pro.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have all 3 Luna display dongles. I tried today Mac to Mac screen sharing and PC to MAC screen sharing. It works very well.
But it does use the Mac to do the compression and transmitting? The dongle doesn't do anything except fake a real display - it doesn't have circuitry to do compression or transmission? I guess the details don't matter if it works, but there are ways that it could work better that don't involve using the resources of the Mac (though it would be much more expensive).

dankron

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Universal Control works awesome for me the only annoying thing is when you are using sidecar on the same iPad, for some reason universal control keeps taking over and booting sidecar connection off... which is quite annoying... as my desktop keeps resetting itself every 30 secs... So I ended up disabling Universal control for now.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
The one place this still breaks down for me is trying to use it with two Macs, laptop extending to the desktop's display and using the desktop's input devices to control the laptop. Just doesn't seem to work.

appleph

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2019
In my case I have an ultra wide monitor and 2 mbps. I couldn't place the 2 mbps side by side below the monitor, it would override my decision when I try to move them in place, so I ended up dragging the hardware (the laptops) to satisfy the position that the software allows me to do, which is ridiculous. So instead of looking like 2x2 blocks, I've got a 4-piece s-shaped tetris block which takes up unnecessary table space. I can't even describe it clearly.

1647424364511.png

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Did Apple put a limitation now on how many Devices can be connected? I tried connecting 3 iPads together, but it is telling me to disconnect one in order to connect the other one. I recall seeing a video of 5 devices connected. An iPad Pro > MacBook Pro > iPad Mini > iMac /w External Display > MacBook Pro.
Here is the log as a secondary and primary display of the Mac and primary on the PC.

Attachments

• LunaSecondary_rCURRENT.log.zip
    57.7 KB · Views: 67
  • LunaDisplay_rCURRENT_PC.zip
    106.7 KB · Views: 40
  • LunaDisplay_rCURRENT.log.zip
    16 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

cwagdev

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2016
Arizona
IMG_8955.png
In one of the late betas I actually managed to get my single mac and single iPad into a state were my iPad was connected as both an external display (SideCar) and universal control. You can see it in the arrangement that macOS saw my iPad as two separate devices.

This was actually super interesting because I could jump between iPadOS and macOS on the iPad.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
View attachment 1974238
Okay it suddenly worked with both my 12.9 inch iPad Pro and the iPad mini 6 without any change of settings. Weird!

At the bottom it is my MacBook Pro, connected to an external 27 inch 4K monitor via USB-C on top, then the iPad Pro on the left and the iPad mini on the right. Interesting that I had to move the cursor up to the external display first, then move left or right to push the cursor into the iPads. I can't drag the iPads down to the sides of the MacBook Pro in the Display settings as shown above.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be possible to control the iPad mini with the cursor and keyboard of my iPad Pro. In the iPad Settings, it’s clearly written that the cursor and keyboard of an iPad can control a Mac under Universal Control.

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
It would appear Universal Control isn’t available on the 2013 Mac Pro trash cans. Guessing an outdated Bluetooth chip is the problem. Haven’t checked to see if Sidecar is available but guessing no for the same reason UC doesn’t work.

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
It would appear Universal Control isn’t available on the 2013 Mac Pro trash cans. Guessing an outdated Bluetooth chip is the problem. Haven’t checked to see if Sidecar is available but guessing no for the same reason UC doesn’t work.
You can use Barrier on your older Macs and Universal Control on the newer stuff. It all works together.

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I understand the differences between the two, but the fact that Sidecar doesn't support Promotion on iPad makes this an unfair fight. Only issues I've come across with UC is some cursor lag and copy & paste isn't seamless (sometimes I need to select text on iPad, right-click/double tap, select Share, select Copy).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I can get Universal Control to work well enough with my M1 Air and M1 12.9 iPad Pro.

But I cannot seem to get SideCar to work reliably. Never really have been, either. I even use a direct connection from the Mac to the iPad. Occasional, I can move a (single) window over to the iPad. But usually the iPad display goes black and I'm unable to get an image. Sometimes I move the SideCar window and it just disappears, show up nowhere! I have to force-close an empty SideCar app on the iPad to get my window "back" on my Mac.

So is there any fool proof way to have SideCar work on an iPad 100% of the time?

sirix

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Can someone with two iPads test (confirm / deny) that Sidecar will work on two iPads simultaneously?

I see above reports of 1st iPad in Sidecar, and 2nd iPad in Universal Control. But... maybe this change now allows two in Sidecar mode? Please be true!

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Ok...so 3 weeks after I posted that Universal Control refused to cooperate it magically started working yesterday -- and without warning.

I had my iPad on the desk and flicked the mouse cursor out of the way so I could finish filling an online form and the mouse just magically showed up on the iPad.

No OS updates, no restarts, nothing to explain it. ?‍♂️

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
When I use sidecar my iPad shows up correctly to the left below my external monitor but universal control force moves my iPad to left below my MacBook.

Definitely a bug with universal control. Also cannot command + tab on my iPad with my bluetooth keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.