PSA: Your Older 32-Bit Apps Won't Launch After Installing iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2017.

1. wib macrumors member

That's awfully kind of you to do that - I'd love to see the links for them as I've searched and searched and not managed to find anything like it. The object of it for me is to type in the individual hiragana symbols that make up the correct reading of each kanji rather than just choose one from multiple choice.

I really would be grateful if you would give me a link/or the names of the 2 apps you did find please.

Thank you. You will be my hero forever if you did manage to find something that I missed as now I'm getting reminders on my phone to update to ios11 and am afraid that one slip of the finger will mean my app's gone forever.

2. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

So the problem here is the greedy developer not Apple.

3. firewood macrumors 604

If users don't want to pay for the work required to adapt a useful app to new different OS versions and hardware devices (often requiring significant modifications to the app, or a complete new app), then they will be stuck with obsolete software, and have to keep and maintain antique hardware on which to run it. Caveat Emptor.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    More like greedy selfish users who don't even want app developers to earn enough to eat.

4. fairuz, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

fairuz macrumors regular

fairuz

I don't really care who's the problem. I'm just gonna do whatever I need to keep my stuff working and remember to avoid whoever doesn't support their stuff. Weighing it all, I'll choose the platform (iOS or Android), pick the updates*, and buy the apps I want.

* tending towards the latest, 99% just because of security updates
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    Sorry, but most devs provide support for longer than 1 or 2 iOS versions if they're credible. In most cases, it shouldn't take major effort to update an app. And when they release new versions like this, old game saves are lost. I'd gladly have paid $6 instead of $3 for Phoenix Wright if it meant they'd support it twice as long without re-releasing. It's nothing either way.

5. firewood macrumors 604

Very funny.

How many iOS apps have you updated? How long did it take you to learn iOS 7 or iOS 11? How much per hour would you need to charge to want to spend your time doing such? Did those apps produce enough revenue to recover the cost of your $99 annum enrollment and recent enough Mac to run Xcode? Or would you like to study iOS releases and bugs enough to keep up to date, and do quality iOS development working for free for some app company or your own LLC? Or maybe you're rich, have lots of free time, and looking for ways to put more business losses on your tax return?

6. fairuz, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

fairuz macrumors regular

fairuz

I've kept 4 different iOS apps up to date, across 6-7 and 10-11. None of them were games, so, disclaimer, I'm not sure what's different there. For others: Most of the time, the worst thing you have to do is update for new syntax and deprecated methods that have easy replacements. But you can certainly make things a lot harder for yourself using third-party hacks and laying views out with magic numbers.

This is assuming you've already updated Xcode for other work. That in itself is always a PitA.

7. newellj macrumors 601

I've been really pleasantly surprised that a couple of 32-bit apps, neither of which had been updated since 2012, were updated in the last week and are now functional with iOS 11. Hats off to devs who are going the extra mile on this. I went to the App Store pages for each and left a very positive review and thank you.

8. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

You are right! I'm wrong in my way of thinking, adapting costs money! I just hope some of the tap tap revolution games would come back, I would certainly pay again

9. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

Some developers abandon things out of boredom. I've seen it. Maybe it's more problematic on a platform that has such consistent costs to stay current on as the Apple ecosystem (ios apps require Xcode, which requires Mac OS, which requires a mac that supports the version of Mac OS required by the version of Xcode demanded by the version of ios you're aiming at, and the App Store fees...), but a few apps I've followed (from developers who are still on the App Store) were abandoned just to create a new version that has a different title so they could avoid free updates to users who bought the first version, or they abandoned several apps because they were just sort of playing around and they move on from one play subject to the next... i'm not sure which developers are worse. The big players or the small ones. The big players don't necessarily last longer when they do crap like Akai did with SynthStation... but that was probably a contracted/outsourced project anyway, which is alway going to end badly...