PSA: Your Older 32-Bit Apps Won't Launch After Installing iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2017.

1. baconcow macrumors member

baconcow

I am definitely pro iOS 11. We'll be updating the iPhone (if it hasn't already). Not worried about losing some older games. My biggest loss would have been XCOM: Enemy Within, FFT: War of the Lions, and Le Havre. Two of them were updated and XCOM is upcoming. The benefits to iOS 11 seem to far outweigh the loss of some older apps. Being my first iPad, I quite enjoy the interface of iOS 11. The expanded toolbar, far improved keyboard, and better multitasking are some of the things I am enjoying.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I think they may have been referring to Mac OS 9.

3. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Ah. That makes sense. But also, wow.

4. newellj macrumors 601

FWIW, the iPod Touch Gen 5 maxed out at iOS 9 (and is only semi-usable on 9). I'd upgrade to the Gen 6 version but it seems to have much worse battery life.

5. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

No other modern OS' like Android, Linux, Windows, etc. have issues running both 32 and 64-bit software.

6. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It's a much nicer experience to use 6th gen (on iOS 10 anyway). Yeah the battery isn't as good but they do hold less charge over time so it might not be noticeable. It also depends what you're using it for. At this point though maybe using something else like an SE or waiting for a 7th gen might be better, of course, no idea if or when that'll happen.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

But the system developers for those platforms don't have the ability to create a magical user experience. :p

8. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Thank god
    Because I am so sick of seeing this nonsense every 8, 9 days! (feels that way at least)
    [​IMG]

9. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

XCOM ew, civilization revolution 1 and 2 are not working. Interesting that they are not even on the App Store anymore.

This will make me more hesitant to buy software for theniPad in the future.

10. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Lack of backward compatibility is why our family and my business won't be upgrading any of our devices to iOS11. Apple really needs to start offering serious backwards compatibility. They have the ability. They need to do it. Lack of compatibility, the ability to run the software we have that we need, means we don't buy new Apple hardware and don't upgrade to new Apple OSs.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There is a right way and a wrong way to remove that bloat. Apple chose the wrong way (as in doing things with no notice or warning and making it hard to roll back once you are in the quicksand trap)

That's easy to say now, with 20/20 hindsight. But who could have known that major companies like EA, Disney and Activision would be purveyors of abandonwear? You would need a crystal ball to know who was going to abandon you in the future.

No it's not. Apple is the one making this arbitrary decision. Your analogy is flawed. In your analogy wal-mart has decided not to make the flavor available to you, even though they could.

Precisely why I am no longer buying apps anymore. Only hurts the developers. Which will only cause even more abandonware in the future, accelerating a downward spiral.

Conform? Like Apple's dystopian 1984 style commerical? Apple has become the very thing they raged about back then.

Why can't it be both? The way I see it, it is not an either or situation.

Where are you getting this info from?

And what's the difference with all those platforms? No hardware monopoly. That seems to be what is driving this.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

apple warned developers 2 years ago. so if something hasn't been updated it was the developer that 'turned it off' on Apple

13. baconcow macrumors member

baconcow

Well, oddly enough. I noticed that 64-bit Caylus (board game) no longer shows up in my purchase list. The iTunes page says that it is no longer available in my country (Canada). So, I guess it is definitely real to lose an app even from your purchase list. This is the first time I have ever noticed this. And, it's a 64-bit app!

14. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

You mean stranglehold. :)
    Nice post and agree entirely.

15. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

So you haven't even bothered to renew the $99/year developer fee, as opposed to pursuing other iOS related projects?

16. newellj macrumors 601

I'm sure you're right about a better user experience. I mostly use my iPod Touch for just a few tasks, and don't switch much. What's painfully slow is loading an app. Once it's loaded, it runs fine, so I'm staying with my Gen 5 for a while longer.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    This is why I do local downloads.

17. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

I can understand why Apple wants to do this, but there are some abandoned apps that are very good and very useful. I've contacted the developers but have yet to get a response back. The alternative is for Apple to update these apps to 64-bit automatically, which I don't see why apple can't do; but then again that will also update the trash apps that apple is trying to purge.

These are some useful apps that will no longer work:
    Tactson Tune Master
    Dream:ON
    To Bed
    Smoothies from Whole Living
    Cooking by Portable Knowledge

18. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I need an easier way to find and actually delete all of these apps. I think I should’ve the swipe left just delete them from the list OR better yet just click delete all.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Load IOS 11 on your device and Apple will delete them for you.

20. fairuz, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

To be fair, OS X / macOS have always supported 32-bit apps as well. Though Apple intends to discontinue support in the version after High Sierra.

There are pros and cons to the dictatorship. Software and communities with lots of backwards compatibility tend to get stuck in the past and/or become overly complicated. See: Python 2 refusing to die, sites using Adobe Flash as a replacement for proper web layout, Windows being crappy. But I think Apple overdoes it.
    Then I suggest you switch to Android because Apple won't provide security updates to iOS 10 for very long.

21. wesley96 macrumors regular

wesley96

I have, but I've been caught up in other projects not related to software development. So the apps were available on the non-iOS 11 App Store all this time, just not updated.

22. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Please see my other posts on page 13 & 14.
    I don’t at all get how you relate the sun setting of 32bit applications to a distopian future. Very dramatic indeed. By your same logic, Microsoft is a mother that smothers her child socially, of which now has adjustment issues and still lives at home with mom in his 40’s because he could never do anything without her.

32bit is ending. Real facts have been posted. This train ain’t stopping.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Perspective.

Yes, some apps stopped working, but how many developers actually got off their asses and updated their apps accordingly the moment they realised that their apps would stop working if they didn’t?

And it took Apple to light a fire under their backsides to get them moving.

There will be winners, there will be losers. Some will lose more than others but by and large, I find the pros will far outweigh the cons.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I did read all your post previously. And again now. Don't see any confirmation, no quote from Apple, nothing other than idol speculation on your part.

You youself use the word "conform" and you don't get the relation to Apple's ad? Wow. Either watch it again (as many times as needed) or look up the definition of the word conform and think about this awhile longer.

25. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

You obviously didn’t read them 100%, but I’ll repeat this. I’ve been back and forth to Cupertino working with Apple directly with my company on a joint effort for enterprise level applications. I know the roadmap and rollout due to my position in my company. So idol speculation? I think not. Expect Apple to come on here and confirm for me? Unrealistic. But you’ll find out I guess.

Oh ok...so you took one word from my whole post and stretched it into a “reach for the stars” type of reply...got it.

So let me remix this...please tell me how Apple is suppressing, oppressing or otherwise causing overall harm and undue hardship to its customers? And please inform me of how they’re becoming the “very thing they raged about”? Because it seems like idol speculation.