PSP 3000 Gets Hacked!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Apr 12, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. mac88 macrumors 6502

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

4. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

um you do know the whole stuff is more than just using iso heck the custom FW makes it 100X beter than sonys and great programs like psptube IR Remote and of course emulators it just simply makes the psp much more Valuable in my opinon and you dont even have to use iso's

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Right. And for every person who uses custom firmware for only those purposes, there are probably many more who use it to pirate games. Just like no-disc patches for PC games are so you can play "back-up" copies *wink wink*

And emulators ARE piracy, just seen as less severe form of it.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I do not think you needed to add 'probably' there matey.

We all know the score - even those who swim regularly in that Egyptian river have to eventually come to the shore and garner the same realization.

(Egyptian River = Denial)

Good for Sony that they at least have PSP4000 or PSP2 in the wings.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Punct-u-ation, please!

And part of that is true, although the PSP-3000 doesn't have an iR port. I like being able to switch between clockspeeds especially on games like GTA, Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter where the load times (and texture loading problems) can occur at the base 222mhz clockspeed. CXMB is a brilliant plugin too.

Oh and Cave Story and Powder are great too.

As with the DS too it's a shame that homebrew is tied in with piracy.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Makes me wonder if Sony should try to go the iPhone route. Imagine an "app" store on the PSP? Let the hackers charge 0.99$ for their cool crap so they make a bit of coin like those dudes on Page 1 this morning, and Sony gets a kick back.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Use No Disc Patches so i dont have to put the Disc in every time, saves me time, makes it more automatic etc.

And Emulators arent Piracy many of the games are freeware now.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sorry what? The only commercial to freeware games that come to mind are Amstrad games and public domain games. Snes, Mega drive, NES, GBA, etcetc are all still under protection.

11. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

So much for 'un-hackable' :rolleyes:

I don't know why they bother, they'll never win. I've still got my launch PSP, never hacked it. Seemed too risky, and for what? N64 at 10fps? :p:p

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Correction: 10fps with no sound. 5fps with sound :p

13. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Nah, it's only clueless idiots and/or industry mouthpieces try to tie them together - it's complete BS, of course, there are plenty of people like me who only use emulators (and stop further idiocies here: no, they are NOT illegal, emulators ARE NOT piracy, time to stop spreading the nonsensical corporate BS here, I think.)

14. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Ehh you sorry - exactly WHAT?
    Sinclair
    Under WHAT protection if I OWN the games? :rolleyes:

FYI: when I run my games (I bought plenty of them back in the 80s) in a Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulator then I AM WELL WITHIN MY RIGHTS, my friend, regardless of what the parasites of the illegal RIAA/MPAA-mob fed for you to think otherwise.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Emulators are not piracy, those games you are playing in ROM form are still protected under law, that is the piracy. Now if you are playing independent games with open licensing then have at it, but N64, NES, etc are all illegal to use even if you are just "emulating" it.

Homebrew does have its non illicit place, however the majority of it is illegal.

16. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Freedom WINS, again.

SONY and the old proprietary business LOSES, again - as always.

World is becoming a better place by every hack like this.:cool:

17. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

No, they are NOT, I bought them ergo I CAN PLAY THEM ANY TIME.

FYI: there's a whole world beyond Nintendo - think of my first computer and personal favourite, the excellent Z80-based ZX Spectrum (hey, I wrote my first game on it in 7th grade! :D), the C64, lot of AMiga stuff etc.

I'm not follwoing you: "homebrew" means user-generated stuff (apps, games etc) - what would be illegal in it?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not quite. M3 and R4 for the DS, M33 for the PSP all let you run homebrew but also let you play pirated games. The problem arises from these developers who allow piracy to carry on with these platforms. If Dark Alex came along and said the next update will let you play homebrew, let you alter clock speeds and still run CXMB themes but said it no longer runs PSP ISO files then brilliant! But that wont happen.

tl;dr version: these hackers (or better still, the manufacturers) need to allow homebrew, block piracy.

Hmm, again not quite. You don't own the game. You own the rights to use that specific media to run on licensed hardware.

I personally don't agree with it as I'm all for format shifting (I have most of my DVD collection on iTunes after all), but thems the rules kiddo.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You can play that cart you have, you CANNOT play a ROM of it that you downloaded from the Internet. Doing so you have violated EULA/DMCA for the game, a downloaded game and your game have NOTHING to do with each other. You own the right to use the software on the cart you own, not the ROM you obtained illegally.

I really don't get the sense of entitlement, you own the game, play it then. Don't assume because you own it (you really only own a license to use it) you can play an illegal rom and legitimize it by saying "well i own a copy", it doesn't, its still illegal!

You folks are the same as the pirates that whinge about how corporations and DRM make them pirate. The only person you are fooling is yourself, it is illegal, and there is nothing more to say about it.

20. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

WHile we are at it: what's considered nowadays as the best PSP app (flash/video/movie/pdf etc converter) for Leopard? Just pulled out my dusty old PSP and wants to play around with it...:)

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Wow, such a rebel you are. They INVENTED the damn thing, put tons of cash into R&D, marketing, logistics, etc, why the hell shouldn't they be able to benefit from it? You don't have the buy the thing if you don't like their policies.

People have this pirate mentality now. "x is too expensive" "x is just the same thing as last year! why should I buy it?" "DRM makes me wanna rip them off" It's all crap. People just want crap for free, bottom line. YES, the custom firmware on PSP can do some funky stuff, but reality is most people just wanna steal stuff.

Actually dude, I'm pretty sure the EULA forbids you to do that. By purchasing and playing the game, you agree to the terms that the publisher sets out, just like Windows, etc.

edit: damn Ed... stealing my argument :p

22. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

This is the kind of BS nonsense the studios keep pushing everywhere - no, YOU DO NOT RENT the software, you BOUGHT A COPY OF IT, ergo you can play it ANYWHERE, ANYTIME< ON ANY MACHINE THAT PLAYS IT, PERIOD.

In fact the DMCA itself IS ILLEGAL in many ways, no matter how much money the parasites of the BSA?MPAA/RIAA/**AA will throw at it - I paid for it and I AM ENTITLED to make backups, to reverse engineer or DO ANYTHING AS LONG AS I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL IT as my product later.

Oh BTW yes, I can re-sell my used copy ANY TIME as the First Sale Doctrine protects my rights, despite the constant illegal releases of EA, SOny etc when they limit the number of activations etc.
    If they want to create such thing, fine - but then don't call it a retail sales - call it as it is: a RENT.

PS: I am not angry, I'm just making sure the important parts will etch into everybody's memory. :D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Pardon? A "rent" expires, buying a game does not.

No, read the EULA again. That thing you agree to whenever you run licensed software.

24. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Again: this is the type of "old world" - where megacorps control the laws - is coming to an END.

They did rely on the "common creative pool" as well yet they never pay back anything.
    Secondly if I buy it I can set it on fire, do whatever I want as long as I will not copy it and sell the copy for profit.

People have this industry shill mentality when they keep labeling everybody else a 'pirate' - FYI pirates are in West Africa, this is just a very lame verbal trick from the parasites of the industry.

Nice strawman argument there - just what the hell does it have to with my entire argument, mmmm?

I agree: illegal DRM schemes, ILLEGAL ROOTKITS etc, all spread by SONY, first and foremost, ARE ALL CRAP, you're right.

Ehh? Another irrelevant sentence...?

And most flies eat *****, yes. Or not.

WE don't know jack***** about either.

Actually "dude": legally YOU CANNOT agree with something YOU CANNOT READ PRIOR to your purchase - so your EULA is quite worthless by even the most basic legal standards.

Which one: the strawman-based cliches or the false ones? :p

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You should have started off with this line earlier so we could have stopped reading. :)