PSP or DS?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by christf10, Jul 25, 2008.

1. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

Anyone who has a PSP and a DS, I would like to know which you prefer? I have a PSP which I don't play much and am thinking of getting rid of it for a DS. Which system do you prefer? Can the DS be tied into the Wii in any way? I don't have a PS3 so linking a PSP is not an issue. I had liked the PSP for video but I have an iPhone now so I will be watching movies on that instead. If I were to keep my PSP what can be done as far as modding goes?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can play game demos for DS games on the Wii. That's about it atm.

And you can mod a DS too, which is far easier - though you need to spend money in the form of a R4 cartridge (I think)

3. aosman macrumors 6502

I would say DS: there are fewer and fewer new games for the PSP (apparently because they are so easy to mod, download full UMD games, ect)

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Don't sell your PSP, unless you need the money, but definitely pick up a DS. It's a great system all around with loads of stuff for everyone.

The new Castlevania DS game will be out this fall. :)

<]=)

5. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

The DS definitely gets a good mix of games. Anyone wants to game on the go should look into the DS.

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have both a PSP slim and a DS. Thing is, the PSP is much more powerful than a DS but the games for the DS are more cooler and more fun. I think I just prefer one or the other sometimes.
    It really depends.
    Its when really good gams come out for PSP or DS that I begin to prefer one of them. Like when Socom 1 or 2 came out, I loved the PSP. And when Metroid Prime Hunters came out, I loved the DS.

Some pros about PSP that I really care about:

1. Built-in browser: Not one of the best ones out there but its still there. You gotta pay for the DS.
    2. Games look awesome-er in the PSP compared to the DS.
    3. Can play music/movies right out of the box without hacking anything.

Cons of the PSP

1. Not enough games
    2. Terrible speed of the browser+loading times of games.

Pros of the DS that I really care about:

1. Has much more fun games, I think. Mario Kart DS and Metroid were kick ass during their times and Wifi was really fun...ah, the good ol days. :D
    2. Touch screen.
    3. More variety in games

The only cones are that games dont look as good as the PSP but oh well. They are still better compared to most games for the PSP.

By the way, anyone know of any other good games for the PSP? I like online games, shooters, action and adventures. Not really a sports kind of guy. I played Socom 1+2, Battlefront II and Renegade Squadron, Wipeout, Bounty Hounds and Kingdom of Paradise. Yeah. That's basically it. I've never found a really good games and right now, my favorites are just socom and wipeout.

7. ZOMG macrumors newbie

i dunno

psp's have better games in my opinion for the most part but I don't like the one joystick

8. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

9. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

DS is more durable, more portable, you can mod it, games are more interesting, online play is great (Mario Kart!) and you have no load times.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I would say keep the PSP. But buy a DS if you want. The PSP has a bunch of cool things. The GPS coming, remote play, internet, internet radio, better online. And some good games. Plus all the PSP games are really cheap and go on sale pretty early. The DS has a bunch of good games but the flow of good games is going down. Now, just like the Wii, it's a bunch of shovel-ware with a few gems in the pile.

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

None will disappoint you really but I have to give my vote to the DS.

It has a much bigger library and carrying it around is pretty easy (it's light and not very bulky) and it's screen are protected by it's own casing when closed and the casing is very VERY resistance (if there are any scratches or dents on mine, they are not noticeable at all).

It has a lot of pick and play games that work great for the console but it also has a lot of deep games like Castlevania and Phoenix Wright (my two favorite series on the DS) not to mention games like Puzzle Quest, Tetris, Meteos, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Dementium The Ward, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, New Super Mario Bros., The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Space Invaders Extreme, Nanostray 2, Elite Beat Agents, Advance Wars, Civilization Revolution (exact gameplay and content as console versions, just downgraded audio and graphics and no civilopedia), Contra 4, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Trauma Center 1/2, Warioware Touched, Hotel Dusk and who knows what else I forgot, oh and Pokemon Diamond, Crystal Chronicles and Dragon Quest Joker.

That being said, there really isn't much to look forward for the DS, I'm eagerly waiting for a new Ace Attorney game (though nothing has been announced) and Castlevania Order of Ecclesia later this year as well as the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remix but aside from that, there really are no titles in the horizon maybe Rhythm Heaven if you are into music games (I sure am). Oh there's that N+ game coming out as well as a new GTA for the DS and that Prince of Persia platformer which looked pretty cool in the gameplay trailer.

12. nintendude macrumors 6502

the DS is awesome!i would get the DS over the PSP anyday

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I own both...I'd say both are worth owning....but I'd say the DS has more games to offer...though the PSP is a close 2nd. They are very different, and both worth a pick up if funds support it.

I too have heard "reports"(I use the term loosely) about the lack of upcoming PSP games due to piracy, but who knows!

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Same here and I agree ;)

15. asxtb macrumors 6502

As people say when comparing the 360, PS3, and Wii... Look at the games! What games do you like to play?
    If you're like me, and like to play sports and racing games, I'd say the PSP is by far the hands down winner. If you want just a quick 5-10 minute game to kill some time, the DS maybe the choice for you.

I used to own a PSP but my PS3 replaced it. I then picked up a DS to play with my wife. I love the download play feature!

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Modding the PSP allows you to unlock the built in PS1 emulator to play any PS1 game. Which arguably gives it a massive library of great games. If you were never a PS1 gamer then you have pretty much an endless amount of legendary games to play that still live up very well as far as handheld games go.

17. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I like both. It really is personal preference.

If you like Nintendo type games though, get the DS.

18. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I own both. I have owned the DS since it's release, and the PSP about a year later. I trade my broken digital camera for it. :D Buddy just needed the battery for his cell phone. PSP had some minor scratches and the joystick cap (the flat part where your thumb rests) is gone. So I play with the little pin thats left over. Still playable of course. And I don't mind the circular imprint it leaves on my thumb.

ANYWAY...I can't say I prefer one over the other. They both offer alot which the other does not.

Games wise, I choose the DS..just because the games are so much more fun. (IMO)

Graphics wise, obviously PSP takes the cake. But the PSP is great for a variety of media purposes. If the DS could play music, movies, view photos and connect to the interwebs (without the need for adapters) I would probably prefer the DS all together.

I do own a Compact Flash video/music/emulator adapter for the DS, but my brothers friend borrowed it a few years back..and broke it. He paid me back for it...but I didn't feel the need to buy another. Not worth it IMO.

TL;DR version

I'm glad I own both, so I get to enjoy the best of both worlds.
    DS for games that keep me entertained for awhile.
    PSP for random gameing, browsing the web, music, movies, etc...

19. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I know this is completely unrelated but why do you want to kill PPC support for 10.6? I know there are a lot of people with fast G5s who would still like to try the system, heck I still own a few PPC macs.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just got back from a rainy holiday void of any computers or any of your finest internets, with only a DS and PSP (and iPod) for funs.

I gotta say the PSP clocked up the most gaming time. Though I only played Burnout Dominator and emulators.

But looking back at the whole thing the DS has brought me better games. Castlevania DoS is (IMO) one of the best games of all time. Pokemon Pearl, New Mario, Canvas Curse and Mario Kart have all been fantastic games too. Plus it's smaller, battery lasts longer. The DS Lite is really built as a handheld games device and it shows. The PSP just eats batteries, I usually got 4-5 hours play which didn't set well whilst on holiday.

PSP future looks a bit grim too. I think LocoRoco 2 is the only game I'm looking forward to now, and even that is with trepidation that it might get too repetitive half way in.

21. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Pref 1: iPhone + App Store... best gaming device with best game distribution and best prices!
    Pref 2: PSP... More Games
    Pref 3: DS... Nice
    :D

22. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Ds has better games (civilization guitar hero etc.) they may not be the best graphics but more fun than psp i have a hacked one and i can get any game and so i do and they all suck and the ds i find it more stylish since u can get a white one. :D

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

LOL, I appreciate your iPhone gaming enthusiasm but enough is enough.

The iPhone is not and will never be better than the DS and PSP as gaming devices.

24. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

:eek:
    Please dont drown my morale down on this one! Its a pain carrying so many devices in the pocket everywhere! Not to mention... unsafe as well!

25. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

k the psp is at the bottom there is not more games and if there is they all suck.