PSP - worth it?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ivan P, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

For the last year or so I've been seriously considering getting a PSP. However, one of my friends has one (the original one from several years back), and said that the lineup of games isn't very good - his recommendations were Vice City Stories, Liberty City Stories and the God of War title...two of which I could easily get on the PS2 anyway (I'm a console junkie :eek:). In fact, he said that in the six months since he got an iPod touch (at my recommendation :p), that he hasn't even touched his PSP because it's a piece of junk in comparison.
    However, now that I've read there's some really great sounding games coming out on the platform (I'm mainly interested in Assassin's Creed and LittleBigPlanet...totally love that game to death) I'm wondering if I should just take the plunge and get one?

PSP owners..opinions please :p

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Nope, I have the Original PSP got Christmas of ....'07. I hacked it, played like 5-10 times, and now its collecting dust.
    If you want, I can sell you mine. That is if you're looking for used.

3. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I bought the first psp, and it broke(wouldn't read the disks). Sold it to gamestop, about a year later, bought another one(silver). It also broke. They are not very good in my opinion. I would just save for something else. It depends if you really want it. They are fun for awhile, then it just gets boring.

ps. I took really good care of them too. Never dropped, always in a case, I dont know what happened.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought a PSP-1000. It was heavy, had a terrible Dpad, loading times were astronomical, battery life as short as a big toe. It had a couple of games worth playing but it was a very... slow... trickle. I sold mine and that was that.

Then I bought a PSP-2000 just over a year ago and the difference was night/day. There are many good titles now, it's lighter and loading times are shrinking (mostly :p). It's a really excellent machine and I've used it more than my DS since getting it. Definitely the handheld for racers and RPGs. I likes;

PoPoLoCrois - really charming RPG.
    Both GTA's
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 - still playing this more than SF4 :p
    Star Ocean, Tales of Eternia (love this one, it's the next best thing to Golden Sun), Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Hunter Freedom 2.
    LocoRoco 1 and 2 are both very fun.
    Both Tomb Raiders.
    Both Burnouts.

Of course PS1 emulation (on a modded PSP) is brilliant. I've ripped all my most played PS1 games for it. FFVII on the go? Cannot fault that at all! Rayman 1, Gran Tourismo, GTA2, SoTN, Tomb Raider 2, Tony Hawk, Jumping Flash.

And then there's Little Big Planet (always thought this was more suited to handheld use) and MotorStorm? With GT Mobile still promised, and hopefully San Andreas Stories. Love it. It's not a bad video player either; better speakers than an iPhone or iPod Touch :)

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, the internal speaker on my Touch is bleh, but I'm glad it has one, but it was clearly designed for headphones.

Hey, I just noticed the Sega colletion for PSP. :eek:

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

With LBP and MotorStorm coming for it, I'd say heck yes!

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The new PSP is much better than the originals and if you hack the thing to play homebrew(don't steal) its very much worth it.

The PSP has some excellent games like Patapon, LocoRoco 1 & 2, Syphon Filter series, SOCOM series, Tekken, Pursuit Force(theres more) and lets not forget God of War:COO and upcoming games LBP, Resistance & Motorstorm.

Bless

8. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I would disagree that the new PSP is better than the original.
    - PSP-1000 was heavier, basic design.
    - PSP-2000 added more RAM and video out, went to lighter and more flimsy design (particularly the lousy 'floating' UMD design)
    - PSP-3000 added integrated microphone, different screen for better sunlight viewing. Same light & flimsy design as PSP-2000.

How can I compare? I own all three - and have bought each on 'day of release'. I'm currently playing LocoRoco2 after a month or so of mostly replaying older games (and also Star Ocean 2). The PSP game catalogue is thin, but I think there are *more* than enough decent games to make it worthwhile.

You have to make your own value judgment based on what you want. I am a PC gamer, so the PSP & DS give me some sort of console gaming experience.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno about that. I've dropped my PSP-2000 twice (off a worktop at 4') and it's still working. I know they replaced the metal "rollcage" but it's still very tough and the weight saved is very much appreciated. The dpad on the 1000 was pretty much useless too, I couldn't use it on quicker games :eek:

10. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I think that the PSP in general is pretty solid, but the 'flex text' does better on the 1000.

I never had an issue, but know the 1000's D-pad is the worst. The 2000 and 3000 are identical.

11. evan g macrumors regular

I have the 1001 series PSP and I love it. I would recommend it. I would have to agree on the lack of a solid library. And it's true. That is, for the hardcore. For the casual gamer like me, I find the library perfect. Here is my list. From fun to not-as-fun-but-still-fun :p

Killzone: Liberation

This game is definitely one you want to pick up. Not only does it have a killer story and some of the best graphics I've seen on the PSP, it has an awesome online component that is tracked on killzone.com. Also a good way to brush up on your Killzone before friday.

God of War: Chains of Olympus

Need I say more?

Loco Roco (1 or 2)

Sure you always question yourself, "Why am I playing a little kid game?" but this game is so addicting, it's hard not to recommend it.

Patapon

From the makers of Loco Roco, extremely addictive, especially if you have a background in music.

N+
    If you played the game in the 6th grade on the computers in prime time, you will love this one.

Not to mention all of the stellar titles on the Playstation Store like Everyday Shooter and others. I also heard the Final Fantasy games are good, but I have yet to pick those up.

12. rockguitarist13 macrumors newbie

psp is a completely different device from itouch, i happen to have both, psp is the ultimate gaming device, not an all around device like the touch, its worth it

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not a kids game, it's a game for all ages.

Kids games are usually stupidly easy or have some educational side to them.

14. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i bought my god of war psp to play god of war and final fantasy vii crisis core.

i beat both games in a week.

havent touched the psp since.

i recently placed it on ebay.

15. evan g macrumors regular

Yeah, now that I think about it, your right. I guess the childrens choir wasn't always my cup of tea. :p

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Shame they really blew it with Patapon 2 though.... :(

17. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I have seen some early reviews that say it makes LocoRoco 2 look ambitious ... is that what you're referrign to?

18. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you do know assasins creed Little big Planet and Motorstorm are coming out for psp right and MLB 09 the show and im sure more games to be announced at e3

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No if it was simply more of the same that wouldn't be too bad.

They killed it because there are levels in Patapon 2 that just do not rhythmatically work at all with audio and movement utterly out of sync leaving the player with nothing but pot luck.

A rhythm action game with a broken rhythm = poo

:eek::eek:

Oh and today, I went to update my Slim PSP to the latest 5.00 somthing firmware today and like an idiot I knocked it off the table whilst updating and now I have a ceramic brick :eek::eek:

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

my girlfriend bought me psp yesterday (managed to get a 2000 model, which I prefer for its ceramic - shiny - white finish and screen without interlacing problems) and i have to say that i think it is marvelous.

My favorite part:

downloading all the old PSX games from the playstation store that I used to play when I was younger: crash 1 and 3, CTR, coolborders, destruction derby etc.

otherwise it came with a choice of daxter or ratchet and clank. My gf picked up daxter but was unsure and the guy in the shop said we could change it if it was unopened. SO... which is better?

21. evan g macrumors regular

Hmm... tough call. I would go with daxter, even though the ratchet games are really fun. Daxter just got one of the top PSP games besides the basics like God of War and FF.

22. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I wouldn't say the psp is worth it. I picked one up about a year after they were first released, bought a few games for it, but they were too short to hold my attention.

They don't seem to release full size games for the psp, instead concentrating on games that are quick to complete because it's meant for gaming on the go I suppose.

I threw mine onto ebay and sold it, haven't really looked back since. No game has come out since then that's made me regret that decision. There just isn't a substantial enough library for me.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh I dunno about that. My LocoRoco 1 save it at 11 hours and the games I've not completed yet; Tomb Raider Anniversary at 8 hours, GTA's at 30 hours each, PoPoLoCrois at 15 hours, Tales of Eternia at 19 hours, LocoRoco 2 at 8 hours, Star Ocean at 15 hours, Final Fantasty Tactics at 40 hours, Monster Hunter Freedom (no clock) but absurdly epic game.

It's just the more popular titles that seem to be shorter like God of War and Patapon.

24. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Being a huge Sony fan, I purchased the PSP when it was released. For the price, I wasn't very satisfied so I ended up selling it. I purchased a DS-L when those came out and I didn't like the games at all.

Then I purchased a PSP again after the home-brew scene blew up and it was a pretty fun gadget to have around. But I didn't have time to play it anymore, and sold it. But I upgraded to a PS3 :p

Personally, I'd say spend that money elsewhere.

25. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I belive it is plus the psp has a great lineup this year Sony announced last month that Little Big Planet Assasins Creed and MotorStorm is coming out and there is talks by guerrala studios that there Gonna Start Killzone 2 Liberation Shorty and there been rumors that there will be more games announced at e3.