Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
just to say (and regarding your previous post) the pricing and dates for PSN releases are completely down to the developers.

They've said many times that developers decide how much a game is on the PSN (just like the App store), for example Mass Effect 2 was a ridiculous £48.99 on the PSN and Sony even try to advise developers to reduce their prices but it's totally out of their control.

I have heard this excuse before on the EU Blog. However Sony's own published titles are also overpriced or just not on PSN at all. They could also offer better incentives to get publishers on PSN; if they rival Steam's (no bandwidth or storage fees, lower prices, frequent sales, frequent store updates) I'm sure they'd get more publishers throwing their games at PSN.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
RANT WARNING that's going a little Off Topic....

In regards to cost of downloads. Actually I'd be happy to pay a little more for my games these days... IF we could get rid of feckin DLC & especailly 'launch day DLC' that makes me feel i'm paying for 1/2 a game....

I have actually now stopped buying games which feature vasts amount of DLC.

Little Big Planet 2 will not be gracing my PS3's due to the fact I know it would cost a bloody fortune to keep upto date with the stuff that will get released for it.

Whilst DLC in its idea is great. That is expanding our game experience....

Realistically economics and capitalism and a hell of a lot of greed has come into play, and now it just simply feels like developers are going 'what can we leave out to charge people for later ?"..... and I am truly sick of it.

It's no longer a case that downloadable content is supplemental, when games are clearly missing gaping content. When your main game has areas or zones already thought out for DLC - it's obvious this is not supplemental material, but left out on purpose for sole purpose of extracting more cash from you to garner the 'whole' experience.

Anyway rant over.... bloody greedy publishers / developers ;)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
In regards to cost of downloads. Actually I'd be happy to pay a little more for my games these days... IF we could get rid of feckin DLC & especailly 'launch day DLC' that makes me feel i'm paying for 1/2 a game....

Anyway rant over.... bloody greedy publishers / developers ;)

That's the whole thing about "downloads" with even songs and movies (no Blu-ray for Macs - use 720p Downloads from iTunes).

Publishers would rather have 5 people each paying them for content instead of 1 person buying the disc and then trading it in and having the following 4 buying it used...

Hence, the surprise that the PSP2 will have physical media - people thought Sony may go downloads only.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
That's the whole thing about "downloads" with even songs and movies (no Blu-ray for Macs - use 720p Downloads from iTunes).

Publishers would rather have 5 people each paying them for content instead of 1 person buying the disc and then trading it in and having the following 4 buying it used...

Hence, the surprise that the PSP2 will have physical media - people thought Sony may go downloads only.

Download only would mean gamestop would shun the device like they have with the psp go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.