Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
Well, you can still buy a PC with OS X on it in Germany: http://pearc.de.

German laws are different than US American laws. Microsoft learned that lesson back in the year 2000 with the so-called "OEM Urteil" when the German Bundesgerichtshof made it clear that several of Microsoft's EULA terms were illegal. This significantly changed Microsoft's business model in German and since then OEM and SystemBuilder versions can be sold and re-sold WITHOUT being bundled with a specific hardware.

Now Apple's EULA for OS X basically tries to force a bundle between their operating system and very specific hardware -- which essentially is the same what Microsoft tried to do with their OEM software license agreements.

PearC does not pre-install Apple's operating system software. They just provide the hardware and certain software that allows for booting and installing a RETAIL BOX VERSION of OS X. No copyright infringement there. No modification of Apple's software. And since German laws make certain EULA terms illegal that Apple nevertheless still have in their EULA, Apple's legal department has zero case against those guys.

On a technical note, I do not know how well those PearC machines work. I know from own experiments that OS X runs pretty well on certain Dell machines. I also know that Windows and Ubuntu Linux run very well on Apple hardware. And none of this is very surprising, because a Mac is basically just a standard, off-the-shelf Intel PC in a pretty designer case. So as long as the PC hardware resembles the hardware configuration of a Mac, there is no technical reason why OS X should not work on it.

Yep... and still JUNK!

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Glad copyright infringement is just a hobby for you! It's a risky profession, though it can be profitable. :D

If you buy software and install it on your machine, how is that copyright infringement?

It might be against the EULA, but nobody's infringing on any copyrights...

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
See, if Apple offered sub $1,000 towers with lower end parts people would buy them.

I want a mid-range tower, but I do expect to pay around £1200-1500 given Apple's build quality. I think if Apple produced a tower for £800, for example, it wouldn't be that good. I do believe that you get what you pay for, I just want more choice from the current desktop range and currently Apple don't offer a desktop that I would want to buy.

ObjectiveV

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Really, Because I know no off the self Intel PC that can go up to 64GB of ram or support 4 HDD and 2 CPU... PC motherboards can only go up to 24GB (Max 32GB) of ram, only support only 2 HDDs and 1 CPU.... I am sorry but Mac are not standard of any thing..

That's not a Mac vs PC thing. That's a desktop vs workstation thing.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
If you buy software and install it on your machine, how is that copyright infringement?

You're using it for an unauthorized purpose. Remember that purchasing ANY software entitles you to use it according to the terms of the EULA. You do not own it (this applies to all software, not just OS X). In the case of a copy of OS X you may have purchased, keep in mind that it is a software upgrade, not a full install. If you install it on a machine that did not come with OS X (the only way to get a full install), it is the same as purchasing an upgrade (rather than the full version) of MS Office and installing it on a machine that didn't have Office in the first place (except that MS won't allow you to do this, of course, whereas Apple has not put in place the license registration/software locks to prevent you from doing this).

If Apple sold a full retail version of OS X, it would cost about $300, comparable to retail versions of Windows 7 Pro. That would eat considerably into the savings of someone who built their own Hackintosh.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I'd have been curious to see what kind of prices they could have offered, had they gotten a little bigger. Apple computers are expensive, no argument, but so is customizing a standard box to run OSX. It would be neat to see how much of a price advantage a knockoff Mac would be, in 2012.

That said, it'd be moot, since I don't do minitowers anymore.

There isn't really anything under the hood of Apple computers that is proprietary or custom anymore. The processor was the biggest difference, and that went poof with the demise of Power PC and the switch to intel. The biggest problem is that OSX has a software check that would not allow the os to be installed... which the hacker community has circumvented since the first intel macs rolled off the assembly lines.

It is not expensive at all the replicate the parts in a Mac. That's generally Apple hater's biggest (and most credible) argument to Mac's being so over priced... there are machines on the market with basically the same parts that sell at HALF the price of a Mac. Actually, those machines often have some spec bumps and are still half the price, or considerably less.

What you pay for as a premium is not the components inside the machine. It's the customized hand and glove fit of the OS to that hardware. Windows has drivers and support for every piece of hardware under the sun... OSX only supports parts they actually use, which allows for better driver support and use of the components by the OS. The hacker community has circumvented this by writing drivers that allow OSX to run on most windows machines. (much in the way bootcamp works for windows)

Macs do have premium construction OUTSIDE. Unibody metal, attention to detail, no cheap plastic cases, etc. The cooling systems on notebooks have always been more advanced than competitors... there are selling points to paying more for a mac, and I'm down for all of them. Hard drive locking technology if you drop a macbook, etc. Apple is always ahead of the curve on these things, and for most of us, we find great value in that. Not to mention long term support of our hardware and software.

As for a clone box, it's ugly... but performance wise it should not be hard at all to mirror that of an Apple made computer under the hood. Definitely not expensive as your post said. Tear down sites that list costs to build get those numbers based on stock parts to begin with, and are never accurate. (They don't account for volume discounts, purchase agreements, etc. A tear down site that says something costs $600 to build is way off... that's what it would cost YOU to build if you went out and bought the parts yourself.)

Samsung or another part maker might assign a company a unique part number or a custom casing for something to make it fit within the companies design, but it's really no different from a stock part they sell openly and would work off the same driver or with very minor tweaks.

Tee1up

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Apple could offer a sub $1,000 tower without scrimping on parts. This is exactly why so many people play with the 'hackintosh' idea. I've used a hackintosh and found the speed and responsiveness on par with the mac pro.

See, if Apple offered sub $1,000 towers with lower end parts people would buy them.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
That's not actually what happened. During discovery, Apple requested to get some Psystar computers to examine. Those were shipped to Apple without an OS disc - assuming (correctly) that Apple would have plenty of those around….

As I say, I’m going from memory but those receipts were among the financial records that Psystar was requested to hand over. Because it largely failed, it was the accused of withholding information. After a quick check, Psystar did indeed claim it couldn’t provide relevant information because of it being “lost” (albeit saying that it already been shown):

“In April 2009, Apple alleged that Psystar was withholding financial information relating to their company and that "at the deposition regarding Psystar’s revenues, profits, assets, and liabilities (including investors, lenders, or other sources of financial support), taken on March 20, 2009, Psystar’s CEO and founder Rudy Pedraza, the person designated by Psystar to testify on this topic, would not answer basic questions about Psystar’s financials." [19] Psystar countered that they have never produced monthly, quarterly, or yearly statements, that they lost some documents when moving premises, and that they have produced the requested information where available”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar_Corporation

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
That's not a Mac vs PC thing. That's a desktop vs workstation thing.
Yes, and the Mac Pro has workstation specs. So why do people insist on comparing it with a Hackintosh with desktop specs?

That being said, it is inexcusable that the Mac Pro has had no upgrade in over a year and is still priced the same as when it was introduced. If Apple is not bothering to upgrade it, at least the price should reflect its aging specs.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Really, Because I know no off the self Intel PC that can go up to 64GB of ram or support 4 HDD and 2 CPU... PC motherboards can only go up to 24GB (Max 32GB) of ram, only support only 2 HDDs and 1 CPU.... I am sorry but Mac are not standard of any thing..

Here's an off-the-shelf PC motherboard that supports 2 CPUs, 64 Gigs of RAM, 14 HDDs and 7 PCI Express cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131817

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

You are in a thread about the Psystar case. Where it was demonstrated in a court of law that, among other things, modifying OS X to make it work on a non-Mac results in the creation of a derivative work. Which is copyright infringement.

The SLA is what actually gives you the rights that you need to install and modify OS X.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Psystar managed to cobble together commodity PC components and find workarounds in the Mac OS X installation process to get their boxes to run. The End User License Agreement for OS X prohibits the use of OS X on anything by a computer manufactured by Apple Inc. (formerly Apple Computer Inc.).

So no need to waste any more time on this I guess,on what is and what could have been, the above statement says it all. Only Apple is allowed to make and sell computers running OSX, nobody else is. If you want OSX buy a computer by Apple.
So more elaborate:
No matter what you'd like to do, Apple doesn't offer OS X for any other purpose than to run on a Apple computer. That's their business model, and their right. If you don't agree, don't buy one. Simple.
If you want to experiment and customize computers, may I suggest a Linux variant or Windows or whatever. That can be done both on the cheap and very expensive too.
Apple is not a budget computer maker, never has claimed to be that, and probably never will, they want to make the best computers they know how to make, and ask a premium price for that.
I don't mind that at all, it's our own choice to buy it, or choose something else over it. Millions of people do however, so they're doing something right.

Companies like Spystar should have better put their efforts into making nice computers running something else than OSX, rather than giving their money to lawyers, as they're the only winners here, as always....

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
I'd have been curious to see what kind of prices they could have offered, had they gotten a little bigger. Apple computers are expensive, no argument, but so is customizing a standard box to run OSX. It would be neat to see how much of a price advantage a knockoff Mac would be, in 2012.

That said, it'd be moot, since I don't do minitowers anymore.

You can make a very cheap Mac and put osx86 on it. Lots of the install DVDs are not idiot proof and come with a lot of drivers.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
That being said, it is inexcusable that the Mac Pro has had no upgrade in over a year and is still priced the same as when it was introduced. If Apple is not bothering to upgrade it, at least the price should reflect its aging specs.

QFT. If Apple abandons the Mac Pro, I don't know what I'll do. I have the current gen, and it's almost 2 years old (2010 was the last Mac Pro update). Inexcusable. I've thrown in USB 3 and eSATA PCIe cards, Blu-Ray, 240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G (in case the next Pro is SATA III), 8TB's HDDs and 16GB RAM.

Things a beast, but with Light Peak aka Thunderbolt there's so much they can do. Smaller form factor with processor(s), RAM, 2x PCIe and HDD slots, and Thunderbolt ports for attached graphics box and extra peripherals stored away in a closet or such - run a thunderbolt cable to your work area/desk for your display(s), HIDs, etc that would be a sweet system. Might even lower the price point down to what PowerMac's used to cost by cutting down on parts (and they didn't eat into iMac sales).

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Interesting, I have been thinking of building a Mac lately. I guess my goal would be some sort of Mac Pro type of machine with an updated graphics card, however I would like get one of those thunderbolt displays, any suggestion on what computer box motherboard would be really appreciated. Thank you.

You don't need a Psystar. Chameleon/Chimera are free and my Dell Optiplex 780 has been a great Mac for the past year and a half. Most recently I built CustoMac Mini's at home using UniBeast and they are great. Just google CustoMac and UniBeast all the info is there.

PS I also have 2 legit iMacs, a Macbook, an airport extreme and 2 iPhones in the family so the CustoMacs are just a hobby for me.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Macs are standard. Because you don't know of any such PCs doesn't mean they don't exist.

The HP Z820 Workstation is a PC that can support up to 128 GB of RAM with 2 CPU sockets, has 4 Internal drive bays and 3 external, exceeding your listed specs

Heck, my cheap MSI motherboard has 6 SATA ports. 2 HDDs ? Where did you come up with this nonsense ?

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
700 sold proves one thing : it's not profitable for Apple to go after the segment.

Proves nothing. They had neither the apple name nor their marketing. They advertised on a select few sites frequented by a relative handful of *Apple* enthusiasts and were a complete unknown quantity. To assume that their sales predict Apple sales on a similar product is bad logic.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
There's no doubt in my mind as to Psystar's "mysterious" financing. Somebody big was out to undermine Apple. It could have been any of the PC manufacturers like Dell, HP hoping to be able to build OS X compatible beige boxes that would evenutally bring Apple down. And of course I would put nothing past Microsoft. All that talk of an Apple monopoly within its own market was nonsense from start to finish.

Keyser Söze was behind the entire plot.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

If you don't have a valid license for the software you're using, simply running it constitutes copyright infringement as many precedents have been established that copying the software from the HDD to the RAM (loading an application/OS) is sufficient to be considered distribution and thus infringing.

And installing it from the media to the Hard drive would be another infringement since you're "copying" the data ;)

So yeah, unlicensed software = copyright infringement in the US.

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
700 sold proves one thing : it's not profitable for Apple to go after the segment.

Well, to be fair, a lot of folks were going to be leery of buying a Hackintosh with all that entails from a company Apple had targeted publicly. Not sure that proves the segment would not be profitable for Apple. I think the bigger issue is that such a segment would never match profitability of iPad and iThingies, which is now Apple's bread and butter.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Proves nothing. They had neither the apple name nor their marketing. They advertised on a select few sites frequented by a relative handful of *Apple* enthusiasts and were a complete unknown quantity. To assume that their sales predict Apple sales on a similar product is bad logic.

Apple did get out of the segment. Maybe they know something you don't. ;) Anyway, we pretty much agree one way or another about the Psystar sales : they don't paint a nice picture, no matter the reason (market potential or marketing/branding).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.