Psystar Files for Bankruptcy

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Mac Observer reports that Psystar, the manufacturer of unauthorized Mac clones currently embroiled in a legal battle with Apple, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The move is likely to delay the proceedings in Apple's case, which is currently still in the discovery phase, although it also signals that Psystar may be unable to finance its continuing defense against Apple.
Unauthorized Mac clone maker Psystar has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Florida, temporarily slowing down Apple's legal case against it. The filing may be an indication that the company's financial backers have pulled out, signaling they see Apple as the clear winner in court.

The bankruptcy documents were filed with the Federal Courts in Florida on Thursday, and Apple's legal team was most likely made aware of the situation over the Memorial Day weekend.
Significantly, the bankruptcy hearing scheduled for June 5th should reveal the identities of any investors that have backed Psystar in its defiance of Apple. Apple suggested in court documents last December that there may be such unnamed individuals or corporations, given Psystar's apparent resources to engage in the production of Mac clone systems and willingness to engage in a lengthy and costly legal battle with Apple over the products.

Article Link: Psystar Files for Bankruptcy

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Wow, this is very exciting. There could be a lot of drama unfolding in the near future.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
I bet it was some big-name blogger(s) and other knowledge workers with too much money and not enough time to spend it on stuff.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I supported Apple against Psystar and I suspect that Apple would have won the court case.

But even so, I'm disappointed in this outcome. I would have liked to see Psystar make their case in court, even if I did disagree with them.

Diabeetus

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
way to fail, psystar

all they did was ship Hackintoshes

you can do that with a blank dvd, any barebones tower, and arms.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Can't wait for the 5th of June now. WWDC coming, and we find out who was behind Psystar!

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Dang, I was kind of enjoying seeing Apple have some competition.
Apple has competition in every other company who makes computers/software.

What Pystar was doing was not competing. They were breaking licensing agreements and distributing Apple's work in ways it was not meant to be used.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I think their backers decided to give it up after it became clear Psystar didn't keep any records of expenses or sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.