Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Psystar to Challenge Mac OS X EULA?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

InformationWeek spoke to an employee of Psystar, the company responsible for the previously reported $399 Mac Clone. The employee known as "Robert" claims that they will challenge Apple's Mac OS X End User License Agreement (EULA) which specifically prohibits the installation of Mac OS X on non Apple-branded machines.
[Robert] also said Psystar believes Apple's prohibition against third-party installations might not hold up in court: "What if Honda said that, after you buy their car, you could only drive it on the roads they said you could?"

Robert said Psystar will continue to sell the OpenMac system, despite the fact that it appears to violate Apple's EULA. "We're not breaking any laws," he insisted.
Indeed, Apple's EULA agreement is not cast into law, but simply represents an implicit agreement ("contract") between the user and company. The enforceability of EULAs, however, has been a subject of much debate, and a true legal challenge would be very interesting. That being said, Robert's loose use of the word "monopoly" and car/road analogy does not necessarily inspire confidence in his legal prowess.

Of note, Psystar has changed the name of their Mac clone from "OpenMac" to "Open Computer", presumably due to trademark issues surrounding the use of the term "Mac".

Article Link

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
It is not the act of installing Mac OS X on a PC that is the problem. It is the breach of contract that is the problem.

Apple do have legal grounds in that instance. I'm no lawyer but I'm fairly sure Apple will come out on top with this one.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Round 1 to Apple.

Hardly. Trademark issues and contract law have nothing to do with one another. I hope Psytar succeeds, personally. I feel that EULA are out if control and someone needs to smack some sense into all companies that think they are "licensing" you software when they sell you something.

g00k

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
lol round one for apple XD
that was quite obvious how can they be so stupid and put a mac part in their product name?
but still robert seems confident...

daveman235

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Interesting.... part of me wants to see apple win....but at the same time part of me wants apple to lose.

you think apple will atleast up the hardware and drop the price in the mini line?

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Lets forget for a moment that they are "testing" the Mac OS on a home machine PC, its the extent that they are selling it that just draws up legal concerns.

Doing it as an experiment is one thing, doing it for profit is another.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I'm a little confused why so many people want Apple to succeed here.

I'd much rather be able to install OSX onto a computer that I could build for hundreds less and still get the same great experience of using a Macintosh operating system.

If Psystar succeeds, isn't that a win/win for consumers? Apple can still sell high-end, beautifully designed hardware for those who want it and hobbiests and budget-minded individuals can still use Mac OS.

g00k

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
up the hardware... i guess so, an upadte is coming.
dropping the price? hell no its apple :D

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I find it hard to believe that if the 'anti-trust violation' this guys speaks of exists how is it that there are no 'other' clones out on the market, and why big name system manufacturers haven't included "Mac Compatible" system along with their "Linux Compatible" systems yet this small insignificant IT consulting company is going to take on Apple in this case.

Sure flame on with "because nobody wants Macs" yet we as Mac users clearly know and demand lower priced Macs. Dell/HP/IBM could easily fill this void and could have long ago if this persons claim actually held water.

I feel his analogies aren't exactly sound. If Honda made the car AND made the roads then sure they can restrict you to drive on ONLY the roads they drive on. Similar to Cable companies. Just because there's cable going to your house doesn't mean you can go and get any cable company provider, your restricted since Cox or Comcast layed that cable down.

If I understand this guy correctly and I think I do. We can sue ANY software company simply because they restrict us to use a particular OS because they are monopolizing us to a particular OS. We can sue Apple because we can't run iLife in Windows. We can sue Microsoft because we can't use Visual Studio or .Net in OS X.

I know that was far fetched but I was trying to prove a point.

MS Licensed and developed/architected their software/OS to run on almost any platform. Apple does not and their OS is designed to be used with it's hardware, well within their legal right. Same with some system at one time could only run on SPARC processors and not Intel processors. Sun Solaris, Unix, etc. These are OS's with particular requirements.

I think we might see probably one of the first legal battles of a EULA.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
On Gizmodo, they posed the example of Microsoft prohibiting the installation of Windows on anything besides Dell computers...

I dunno about this one...

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Hardly. Trademark issues and contract law have nothing to do with one another. I hope Psytar succeeds, personally. I feel that EULA are out if control and someone needs to smack some sense into all companies that think they are "licensing" you software when they sell you something.

If you overturn EULA, open source agreements like GPL could easily go with it; for many, those only appear during the install of a linux distro. Also, it says on the outside of the box that it is subject to the software license agreement included in the package. The software license agreement is in the booklet, meaning you never have to take the disc out to even read it.

rfaulder

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
"What if Honda said that, after you buy their car, you could only drive it on the roads they said you could?"

If Honda designed that car for a specific type of road that they built, why not? You chose to buy it….

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Round 1 to Apple.

Round 1 to Psystar's marketing people.

Good god, did you just miss all the free advertising they got when the news of this hit every tech site out there like a tidal wave? They could remove every mention of Apple from their site right now and people would probably still buy this machine for the intended purpose. There aren't a lot of people out there right now who don't know what this is and overnight this move put Psystar on the map. Did you know who they were two days ago?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.