Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twinsbb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Woodbury, MN
My current iPhone XS is running iOS 14.2 Public Beta. My iPhone 12 Pro is set to arrive on Friday. Any advice for the smoothest way to restore my XS iCloud backup onto the new iPhone 12, which will likely be running an earlier version of iOS 14?

Thank you!!

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
I tried to do exactly that without success. I hope you have a MacOS or iCloud backup of your XS that is no later than 14.1 or else the 14.2 backups will be greyed out. Also, there is no way as yet to get 14.2 Public Beta on an iPhone 12.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
You can get 14.2 on the 12. Set it up without copying your data over, install the profile then download 14.2. Erase all contents and settings and once the phone restarts you should be able to restore from the most current backup.

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
That seems like a worthwhile thing to try if you have not already put an older back up on a new iPhone 12, but I am just gonna wait for the next release of the Public Beta that formally supports the iPhone 12. So far as I can tell and others here have said it, there is no .ipsw file that explicitly supports the iPhone 12 yet.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
It may be different on the public beta side sorry...I did that process on my 12 pro but i do have a developer account...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.