Public Transportation Integration Coming To iPhone Google Maps?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Google has announced the availability of Google Maps for mobile version 2.2. The software, a version of which runs on the iPhone and iPod Touch, includes integration with public transportation systems for retrieving directions using public transit. A video demonstration is available.

Version 2.2 is available for BlackBerry and other Java-enabled phones, however Google says they're "working to bring public transit directions to Google Maps on other devices, so stay tuned!" Giving the timing, it seems to be a reasonable possibility that such capability could be included with iPhone/iPod Touch software 2.0, expected on Monday.

Article Link

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Oh man, his voice was pretty annoying, but still...this is a great idea. Great especially for people who live in big cities, or i guess, more for those visiting big cities. Can't wait to see what google brings next. This would work great with GPS...you know...google maps. :p:p

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I'd like a decent interface to view the LIRR schedule too. I'd do it myself but the only thing I can program is a universal remote control.

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I would love to have an app dedicated to LIRR and NYC subway times/routes, it would be a dream. This new Google Maps feature is cool too, can't wait until it's released.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I would love to have an app dedicated to LIRR and NYC subway times/routes, it would be a dream. This new Google Maps feature is cool too, can't wait until it's released.
Do you know anyone that knows how to program?

I can't see this being too difficult to make considering some of the other programs out there.

All the information is right on the site but it is horribly designed and difficult to navigate (especially on an iPhone).

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Imagine how much easier it will be to get all the new google maps updates once the 2.0 comes out. They won't have to wait for apple to come out with their next release of the iPhone OS X, they can just put it on the app store and, as Steve says, boom.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Imagine how much easier it will be to get all the new google maps updates once the 2.0 comes out. They won't have to wait for apple to come out with their next release of the iPhone OS X, they can just put it on the app store and, as Steve says, boom.
Brilliant!

matthutch

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
very cool

This would be awesome when traveling. I don't see them linking in with the transit systems here in Western Australia for a long, long time, but it sure would be cool if they did.

Mind you I would be happy if the current traffic information for Perth would show on Maps, like it does for place like San Francisco and New York.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
He sounded funny, then I read your guys comments on Yoda. You hit it right on the nose.

This feature would be great.

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Who knew Screech got a job with Google. I guess I can stop wondering now.

Didn't anyone over there at Google have the nerve to say "Uhh, yeah . . . . Bob . . . I think we're going to have to go with someone else on this one. Why? Well . . . you see . . . ummm . . . . it's just that your voice Bob . . . yeah, your voice . . . YOUR VOICE MAKES ME WANT TO DRIVE NAILS INTO MY THUMBS!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHH."

My God that was unbearable.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Who knew Screech got a job with Google. I guess I can stop wondering now.

Didn't anyone over there at Google have the nerve to say "Uhh, yeah . . . . Bob . . . I think we're going to have to go with someone else on this one. Why? Well . . . you see . . . ummm . . . . it's just that your voice Bob . . . yeah, your voice . . . YOUR VOICE MAKES ME WANT TO DRIVE NAILS INTO MY THUMBS!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHH."

My God that was unbearable.
What would driving nails into your thumbs...oh...honostly, when i read that, i read driving nails into your nose, and i had no idea what that meant...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
nice! will certainly be useful for me. i love the google maps app as it is, super helpful for when i go out adventuring on my bike :p

Elsewhere

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
This would be very useful for places like Dallas, TX where the public transportation is very poor. (Texas oil companies have actively blocked public transportation from being properly developed)

Few people know anything about how to get from point A to point B and the DART.com website has an extremely poor search tool for planning trips.

I can't wait to try it out! :cool:

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
OMG, this guy's voice alternates between normal and just plain wonky. It's hard to even concentrate on the content of his presentation! :eek:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
There is no public transportation where I live. There's also very few open wi-fi spots.

What I really want is a downloadable Google Maps data set (i.e. Google Maps works without being connected to the net). Since space is limited, it could be only for the roads (no satellite images) and maybe one province/state at a time (or load a few of them depending on your planned route).

officerdick

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
We have something like this in denmark already, it just covers the whole country, and every public transportation method, it works great on cell-phones to! Google could make it better with Goggle Maps integration though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.