Publishers Not Making Much Money From Apple News+

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple News+ seems to be floundering just months after its launch, according to new details from participating magazine publishers shared by Business Insider.

Multiple publishers have been unimpressed with the revenue generated from Apple News+. One told Business Insider that revenue was one twentieth of what Apple promised, while another said that it was on par with what was earned from Texture, which isn't much.

[​IMG]
    According to some of the publishing executives, Apple's News+ team has asked for input during meetings on the service since its launch. Apple reportedly acknowledged during meetings that Apple News users are confused about the difference between free articles and paid news content.

Publishers aren't pleased with the magazine-centric layout for news content, and executives want easier ways to convert magazine content to app content. "I don't think they're putting their full effort behind [Apple News+]," one publisher told Business Insider. Some of the publishers are still optimistic on the future of Apple News+, as the service is still in its infancy and it will take some time to work out the kinks.

Apple has told publishers that it is working on making the Apple News+ app more intuitive for users, so hopefully changes and refinements to the interface are in the works to make it easier to navigate through the app and manage magazines. For details on how Apple News+ works and some of the issues users have experienced, make sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Publishers Not Making Much Money From Apple News+

2. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

If I remember correctly the first version of Apple Music wasn't much better. Maybe it'll work out over a few years?

3. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

It definitely needs improvement, however I suspect it will be one of those things where revenue grows over time.

Look at the iPod, iPhone etc, they took time to grow.

4. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

5. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Well, it was pretty obvious.

- 50% Apple cut
    - Not multi-platform
    - Magazine as a medium is dead compared to YouTube

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

Just kind of wonder why these publishers are bashing Apple. I don’t see any other that’s not a startup trying to help save their business...

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Publishers weren’t making much money before Apple News, which is why they made the deal.

8. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

9. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Obvious to you and I, but I remember you swimming upstream against the conventional "wisdom" on this site that said it was going to be a boon for publishers.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Good news sources are expensive. There's simply no way to pull that many publishers and pay what their content is worth.

11. Apple.Fanatic macrumors member

Apple.Fanatic

12. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Who pays money for a digital magazine? I can find anything about any topic for free.

13. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

I don't see the point personally. Freely available news is common.

Maybe Apple should reduce their cut of the revenue to help build the service.

14. sw1tcher macrumors 68000

sw1tcher

- Curated content
    - Difficult to navigate to find content
    - Not all content available for viewing (e.g. WSJ)
    - Poor layout and user experience (e.g. scanned PDF file requiring lots of zooming and swiping to view)

Who could have seen this coming? :p

15. JetTester macrumors 6502

Perhaps their unique selling proposition should be that they guarantee the news they publish is factual and unbiased. You just can't get that anywhere, so it would be worth paying for.

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

All this subscription stuff could end up being a bust for Apple. It feels like they’re doing it not to solve a problem or to create the best experience but to satisfy Wall Street’s desire for predictable recurring revenue.

18. akac macrumors 6502

akac

I did the trial for it. I actually really liked it - I'm not a magazine subscriber in general, but there are a couple I do enjoy (Car and Driver for example). I've always wanted touch and go access to Wall Street Journal and my wife was always interested in a few others - but we are subscription averse so we just don't. Apple News+ was supposed to give us the ability to access a ton of articles from magazines I am interested in, but not enough that I engage to subscribe.

The first week - we gorged on everything. The second week…less so. By the end of the month, what I realized was Apple News+ did a horrible job of allowing me to pick my favorite magazines/news and surfacing the new ones up. Week by week I saw the same articles and half of them I had zero interest in. Some of the other magazines I was interested in were PDFs and that's an instant no for me.

Frankly I just find Google News + Reddit + Twitter to be more useful. I still get my C/D delivered to my door and the few WSJ articles I was interested in, I get elsewhere.

I'm 40 yrs old and enjoy both old and new journalism…but Apple News+ just didn't deliver.

19. djangofan macrumors newbie

djangofan

As soon as Apple News started continuously prompting me to sign-up for magazines, THAT is when I stopped using the app altogether.

20. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

As News+ is only available in the US and Canada, it’s literately not existing to be honest.

21. cardfan macrumors 68000

I think the major problem is you can’t have this type of an app with free and paid content. Well obviously you can but it stinks as Apple has proven. News+ needs to be its own thing.

Then you can debate on what is wrong from there.

Atv+ will be the same.

22. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

$9.99 per month is too much for the lack of relevant content for me. I'm not much of a magazine reader. Not having the WSJ, Washington Post, and other papers is hurting AppleNews+.

23. Unprotected Memory macrumors newbie

Unprotected Memory

I already subscribe to several magazines and newspapers, so I was looking forward to something like News+ from the moment the News app was launched in iOS 8. When Apple bought Texture, I tried the service for a few months, but discontinued it because it was impossible to use on an iPhone. I assumed that Apple would fix this when News+ was released....but they did not. Most magazines still do not scale properly for phone usage. Even my iPads were not immune from issues, as I got constant errors stating that my subscription was expired (despite still being in the trial period, and consenting to auto-renewal). I hope Apple fixes all of the issues...I really do want this to work. While they are at it, they can take a more reasonable cut of revenue (50% is pretty greedy) and bring more publishers onboard.

24. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

That's because News+ in its current form is a hot mess. Most of the content is converted PDFs that's painful to navigate. And it's nearly impossible to search anything.

25. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

Converted PDFs <smh>! That is amateur hour on parade.