Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Publix has indicated that it is rolling out support for contactless payments like Apple Pay and Google Pay, as noted by the blog Appleosophy.

publix_apple_pay.jpg

The supermarket chain informed employees of this news in a bulletin shared on Reddit, noting that its payment terminals will be updated with the contactless payments symbol where accepted. Publix has over 1,200 stores in the Southeastern U.S., with nearly two thirds of those locations in Florida, but it is unclear how many will accept Apple Pay.

Apple Pay support arrives at an opportune time, allowing shoppers to avoid using the frequently touched PIN pad when paying for groceries.

Article Link: Publix Rolling Out Apple Pay at Checkout

Last edited:

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
This is great! Publix is a wonderful grocery store and all the staff own stock in it. Every staff member is so helpful. A friend of mine retired as a meat cutter from Pubix with a ton of stock!

Reactions: tbayrgs and jjm3
Comment

martyjmclean

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2018
Sydney, NSW
A few hours of concentrated effort digging around in terminal settings to disable Apple Pay.
That doesn't make any sense... I thought they couldn't be separated (maybe I'm wrong?)
Every card issued in the last 10ish years has contactless, why would a shop disable it?

Comment

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
That's great we don't have to touch the PIN pad to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, but folks need to get in the habit of cleaning their cell phones more often.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
How are they just getting Apple Pay now? Shouldn't they already have it, as it comes "packaged" with normal contactless.
There are two possibilities: 1. Their card terminals were ancient (by European standards) and didn't have contactless support at all. 2. They went out their way and intentionally detected Apple Pay and stopped it from working. That has happened.

But "normal" contactless only allows a rather low payment limit because the terminal thinks it is not Apple Pay, but just a contactless card, which obviously could be stolen.
[automerge]1585670848[/automerge]
That's great we don't have to touch the PIN pad to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, but folks need to get in the habit of cleaning their cell phones more often.
Just don't let anyone touch it. And wiping it on your trousers helps a lot (Covid-19 virus survives up to three days on a smooth surface, but only one day on rough surfaces like your trousers).

Comment

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
There are two possibilities: 1. Their card terminals were ancient (by European standards) and didn't have contactless support at all. 2. They went out their way and intentionally detected Apple Pay and stopped it from working. That has happened.
The latter. The terminals at my local Publix all were update for chips and it’s the same ones in use elsewhere that support Apple Pay/contactless payments, but they disabled them from the start.

Comment

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I love Apple Pay more than ever lately. I bought some medicine at Walgreens yesterday and only ever had to touch the meds - all exposure was limited to just that one hand. I used the other hand to pull out my iPhone and pay. I walked home, dumped out the bottle out of the little box, tossed the box and washed my hands. Super safe.

Just make sure to use Apple Pay with a credit card, since if you have a card that can be used as a debit card, you’re going to end up having to touch the card reader that everybody else has been touching.

Reactions: Coffee50 and CarlJ
Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I totally hate to burst your bubble but I think the story is all WRONG. Publix just rolled out the "Publix Mobile App" which uses their app to read the QR code at the register, this is NOT ApplePay. The app works the same way that Walmart uses their own app.

I wish/hope that I am wrong but I don't think so.
They (finally) turned on contactless. If you follow the link in the article, you’ll see this:

D8E4FF18-BF1B-423D-9417-5A3A7660A327.jpeg

Comment

dugbug

macrumors 65816
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Good news. Apple pay used to work in publix when they first got the new chip readers, but at some point publix disabled NFC unilaterally.

-d

Comment

york2600

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR

But "normal" contactless only allows a rather low payment limit because the terminal thinks it is not Apple Pay, but just a contactless card, which obviously could be stolen.
[automerge]1585670848[/automerge]

Just don't let anyone touch it. And wiping it on your trousers helps a lot (Covid-19 virus survives up to three days on a smooth surface, but only one day on rough surfaces like your trousers).

Most stores have disabled it. Years ago Home Depot supported it before Apple Pay became a big thing. Back then just a few bank cards supported it so I doubt they even thought about it. Once Apple Pay was out for a few months they disabled it on all their terminals.

Reactions: freedomlinux
Comment

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I totally hate to burst your bubble but I think the story is all WRONG. Publix just rolled out the "Publix Mobile App" which uses their app to read the QR code at the register, this is NOT ApplePay. The app works the same way that Walmart uses their own app.

9l16h0v6gxp41.jpg

Comment

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013

The Publix Mobile App QR (aka Publix Pay) has been around for almost a year. This is specifically contactless payments. Other poster posted the flyer from Publix, it explains.

Reactions: CarlJ
Comment

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009

Publix didn't just roll that out. It's been a thing for nearly a year. I know this, because every time I asked them when they are going to accept contactless payments, they suggest I use their app.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.