Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKittenEater

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Alright, I know what you'r'e all wondering, so long story short: don't leave your MacBook on the floor beside your bed if you plan on drinking heavily.

Alright, so now it's a few weeks later. It's been completely cleaned out, used compressed air, etc. The only problem is that it will randomly turn off now. Sometimes after two minutes, sometimes after two hours.

Any idea what could be the part causing this?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well stomach acid is most likely very corrosive. I imagine your logic board took a hit but only one brave Genius will have to tell you. Hope you tell him/her to wear rubber gloves.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
you are going to have to open it up and clean it by hand. so a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

Ironic how alcohol caused the issue and can fix it as well.....

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well if you have already done a deep cleaning of absolutely the whole system chances are you can't do anything with replacing parts.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If it turns off after an amount of time, it sounds like a thermal issue.

Are all the fans spinning?

What does iStat say about your temps?

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
I laughed so hard when I read this. Best thread of the year.

However, I have no idea what could have happened to cause the error described. A thorough repeat cleaning may solve the problem, but somehow I doubt it.

It would make a great story for an ebay or Craigslist sale.

That sucks, seriously...

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
My mate pissed on my old Dell in Uni, got a brand new MacBook from the insurance company a week later. He's now my best friend.

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
^ The mac or the piss guy?

Oh wait, right. Piss on your Dell = You get a Mac. He did you a favor there.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
No although the notebook does the job, I wouldn't go as far to say an inanimate object is my best friend. Though I certainly seem to spend most time with it...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
you are going to have to open it up and clean it by hand. so a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

Ironic how alcohol caused the issue and can fix it as well.....

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
^ :D There's a lot of things that might possibly be wrong, but that's not one of them.

Unless, OP, you actually disassembled the heatsink from off the CPU.

Yeah if you took the heatsink off then it could very well be the problem. More likely the fans are toast though.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Maybe the temperature sensors have corroded. Have you checked to make sure they are in good shape, and free of stomach junk?

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Puked on my MacBook, randomly turns off.

I'm sorry, but if you puked on me, I would be turned off as well, and not randomly!! :)

BTW I hope your username had nothing to do with you being ill ;)

Apple-ogies for not being constructive or helpful, but the title was gagging for a witty retort, and obviously to post about this you have a sense of humour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.