Pull My Finger is allowed but NO to FLASH or Sling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by semlohde, Dec 13, 2008.

1. semlohde macrumors member

Just read where the brains for the APPs for Apple have allowed Pull My Finger farting program but get something useful like FLASH or Slingmedia and it's NEVER or greatly hushed. Not against a good fart now and then, cute lil program I would imagine. AND if this was on a WM phone I might see it as ANYONE can write something and it's allowed on WM. BUT, to have a department actually there to filter/suppress anything that gets to the iPhone - to have these brilliant folks of Apple say NOPE to FLASH- this speaks loudly of Apple. Way to go, simply brilliant. We can't watch any news clips, can't stream any movies, but here Apple- catch my fart. Release a FLASH or get your own out there so we can stream. ed

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Apple and Adobe have both stated that they are working on a version of Flashplayer for iPhone, but they are taking the time to make sure it works seamlessly

its not as simple as you think

as for slingplayer, i dont know what to tell you
    but i do know that it would be awesome

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Do you wanna chill? It's been 1 day since it was allowed. Maybe they're going through the process to get the other apps out...

4. cube macrumors G5

5. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

adobe is polishing flash to iphone until meets apples standard.
    it can take longer than pull my finger cause pmfinger is already polished

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Polished turd maybe, yeah.
    Apple always updates in baby steps, never giant leaps.

7. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Flash runs like complete sh't on the Mac, so until Adobe hires some competent programmers to get the OSX code up to par with the Windows version, Apple will and should, keep blocking them from releasing it on the iPhone.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And why is it that we could put a man on the moon, but my shoelaces keep coming untied?

Huh, what is UP with that!?

9. firewood macrumors 604

You don't need a Mac to develop in Java, and you can port a lot of old ugly legacy apps for other platforms too easily.

They want developers to buy lots of Macs, and think that newly written stupid apps are better than old ugly ones for their store.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Adobe has said that they're creating an ARM version of Flash 10, and have shown off early versions on WM and other phones just recently. I don't think they've ever shown off an iPhone version, because they need Apple cooperation. And Apple isn't giving it.

Jobs apparently wants neither Flash nor Java, because then people could create and sell apps without going through his store.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Finally a voice of reason amongst all the (fan)boys. Yeah, Apple is working side-by-side with Adobe, getting everything all tidy and neat, to get Flash out to all Apple's loyal customers. The same could be said for the MMS app that has been developed by Mobispine. Yeah, Apple is still reviewing that one too. They don't want to push it out the door prematuely. They want it to be very stable, just like Safari on 2.0, not half-baked. The same with XRoad GPS, that one will be out "next week."

Can't we just be realistic for once and stop making up excuses for Apple? We've heard the stories of these features "coming soon," but they never materialize. Flash is not coming for the reasons above and Slingbox support is not coming either as it is a direct competitor of Apple TV (which we may very well see iPhone support for in the future). See how simple it can be?

In the meantime, let's all just shut-up and enjoy the iPhone for what it is now: the first mobile device that will tell us how much money we make while we take a crap at work.

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/poo-price

12. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Flash I believe is on Apple, but if they approved Orb (which will be exponentially more useful to me as soon as the Mac beta comes out) I don't see why they wouldn't approve Slingplayer. BlackBerry's still waiting for their promised Sling app, I don't have much trouble believing they're the ones dragging their feet at this point.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Look, one of the biggest fan-boys out there figured this out back in February.

So stop pinning these "flash is coming!" comments on us fanboys. WE get it, ok? I don't know who these people are, but they are not us.

Oh no, we fanboys understand perfectly: Flash is NOT coming to the iPhone.

14. firewood macrumors 604

It is very unlikely that Apple would ever add Flash or allow it to be installed on the iPhone.

They are instead pushing new HTML and CSS standards to eventually displace and replace Flash on the web. Allowing Flash on the iPhone would interfere with that corporate strategy.

If you absolutely must have Flash, buy another phone.

15. efice32 macrumors 6502

When Flash screws up it can crash Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari on actual computers.....imagine the damage it would do to "can't-even-always-handle-the-full-version-of-facebook" mobile safari on the iPhone

16. peperoni macrumors member

Well that doesn't seem so different from today with mobile safari. :p

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Ahh, but did NASA actually do that, or was it all an elaborate hoax?............

:D:p

I don't think we'll see full Flash-enabled websites in Safari, but surely a video player can be done, like the YouTube links?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just hope we can disable the hell out of it. No way do I want to be bogged down by flash adverts on a small device.

19. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Good point that I hadn't considered. I use adblock for FF and I forget about the ads. I can imagine how it would "work" for the iPhone...

20. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I see the slingcatcher being a direct competitor to the apple TV, but the sling box really isnt??? Unless the apple tv can port live TV to your computer (and if it can, I'm going to go buy one right now!)

21. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

This has to be the 999,999,999,999 thread about this! Congratulations! :rolleyes:

22. semlohde thread starter macrumors member

23. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Flash (and to a lesser extent, Java) isn't allowed not because of some grand conspiracy, but rather due to device constraints.

Yes, the iPhone hardware is technically capable of running Flash -- but have you seen the performance of Flash on modern machines that aren't Win32/x86? It sucks. A lot. Given that Flash seems to have major performance (and stability) issues on a desktop machine, Apple's probably making the right move not allowing its installation on a handheld, as such a limited platform would likely exacerbate said issues.

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You just compared an Apple to a bag of Skittles. There has been about 10 threads where people have explained in as many as six ways why there is no Flash on the iPhone. Use the search and you might learn why there is no grand conspiracy to keep you from enjoying your precious Flash videos.

25. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Flash is so 2002. I personally hate using sites with flash.