Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I will be getting a pencil.
I came from an iPad 2 (5 years old) mint condition but the os is dragging it down, and the performance/spec of the Pro is unbelievable (compared to my old iPad, Cpu 20x, Gpu 360x).
I wanted the ability to sketch 3D designs, and this is it.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Just got mine today. Did anyone else just laugh at the size of it? I said holy crap a lot today. It's like clown sized or something. It's massive.

That said, so far, I'm loving it. Reading comic books on it is like a revelation. They're big and sharp and beautiful and glorious. No more having to fiddle with the size and orientation due to tha peAbout to hunker down and watch some Netflix on it. My pencil and smart keyboard are due to be delivered in 3 days. Can't wait.

Last edited:

mguti

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
TX
I lasted about two weeks with the Keys to Go keyboard (which is a fantastic tool) and then became fully assimilated with the Apple Smart Keyboard and silicone case. The Apple Smart Keyboard just makes the iPP a more convenient tool for writing and it's one of my favorite keyboards ever.

I have been on the keys to go for about a month now (typing with them right now) but I will admit I do wrestle with getting the smart keyboard. Knowing myself I'm trying to be happy with the keys to go because I really don't wanna drop $170 on the smart keyboard, but in the end I'm sure I'll bring myself to purchasing it. Always happens.

Reactions: artfossil

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I will be getting a pencil.
I came from an iPad 2 (5 years old) mint condition but the os is dragging it down, and the performance/spec of the Pro is unbelievable (compared to my old iPad, Cpu 20x, Gpu 360x).
I wanted the ability to sketch 3D designs, and this is it.

I came to Pro directly from ipad2. I used my ipad2 day in day out, with flawless operation, its just purely as you say, the OS's of modern day just killed the thing.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
If after a few days you're not feeling the iPad pro then I urge you to take it back, the smart keyboard, speakers and pencil are not going to sway you.
Personally I absolutely love it but more so when using the smart keyboard, I'll admit that using it in portrait mode it does feel a little cumbersome and large but when watching movies on Netflix because the kids are using the main TV it's wonderful.
I actually find myself renting and buying more iTunes movies to watch on the pro.
Something I wish Apple would do is have the iPhone activity and health app on the iPads that I can sync with my iPhone, I know why it's not there but I wish it was.
As long as I have the iPad pro, I'll never see myself having another laptop ever again.

Reactions: alecgold

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
My wife and I got each other and IPad Pro, Smart keyboard, and Apple Pencil as gifts for Valentine's Day. We moved up from iPad 4's. It is one of my final steps in permanently moving her off of anything Windows. I was reminded yet again why I hate Windows so much when I went to transfer her photo's and videos off of her iPad onto her soon to be replaced laptop. It was 45 minutes to an hour before I could do anything because of all the updates and re-starts it had to go through. Why anyone likes Windows I will never understand.

We are going to get an iMac for our office with her own user log-in and she will only use Windows at work. She is a teacher and one of the first nights she had the iPad Pro she created a slideshow presentation in Keynote for the first time, without any instruction, and she immediately said it was a thousand times easier than PowerPoint and she likes the look of the interface better.

So far we both love the iPad Pro, Smart keyboard, and Apple Pencil and I haven't turned my MB Pro on since we got them.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I gave my Air 2 to my daughter immediately after I purchased the iPP. Later I picked up a mini 4 to complement my iPP and 6s. The mini is a nice portable device to have when I'm on the move: at the gym, daily commute, vacations; while the iPP is perfect for work: presentations, note taking, document annotations, etc.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I cannot believe how quickly I have become used to the size of the iPP. My Air 1 feels tiny!!

I'm only getting a proper case for it in the week - been waiting for delivery, so have been forced to treat it rather gingerly, with it being naked and all. Pretty sure that with a cover on, it will start feeling far more natural.

Must confess to being a bit nervous of the size when I initially bought it - but am really pleased so far. Part of me was wanting to wait and see if the Air 3 comes out with Pencil support - but I'm glad I didn't. Had I waited, I probably would've gone with the Air - and knowing what I know now, I would be missing out big time on the iPP's screen real estate...

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Just got mine today. Did anyone else just laugh at the size of it? I said holy crap a lot today. It's like clown sized or something. It's massive.

That said, so far, I'm loving it. Reading comic books on it is like a revelation. They're big and sharp and beautiful and glorious. No more having to fiddle with the size and orientation due to tha peAbout to hunker down and watch some Netflix on it. My pencil and smart keyboard are due to be delivered in 3 days. Can't wait.

Just bought mine yesterday after much consideration. Sold my Air 2 and took the plunge. I didn't laugh at the size but it did bring a big smile to my face :D

Comics are awesome on it, no more flipping and turning and zooming. Can't wait for my pencil to arrive, which should be tomorrow. The perfect case hunt continues, though I'm not surprisingly leaning towards the Apple offerings.

Reactions: rews

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
That's good to know.
Any arm fatigue in reading the comics with the iPP?

You definitely wouldn't want to hold it one handed for too long, but I don't find the weight excessive. If you've ever held a first generation iPad you pretty much know what to expect. If you're holding it one handed, make sure to hold it in the middle, it keeps the weight distribution balanced. Holding it at the bottom isn't the best idea in the world, he said rather obviously :D

I've also found myself holding it by resting it on my forearm with my arm running diagonally across to the other side, rather than by the edge as I usually do with my iPads. Doing it that way it really doesn't feel heavy to me at all and it takes the weight off the wrist so it's much more comfortable.

But I was lying in bed last night reading, one hand either side of the screen as I always have for flipping back and forth and I barely noticed the weight at all. I didn't get at all uncomfortable either, even after an hour or so.

(Oh, and I've got severe nerve damage in my left arm, so trust me if the weight was an issue I'd had known all about it. Sure I'll not be holding it in that hand on it's own at all for more than a few minutes. But luckily I have another hand on the right hand side of my body. Such a good design, it's as if we were made for iPads :D)

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Was going to wait on the March 15th (now 22) announcement but with my Air2 screen broken, I walked into Staples and they had the 128Gig WiFi for $799.
I couldn't pass up. I really wanted the LTE model but that was too cheap to miss.

I was going to buy at Costco, 2nd cheapest at $879 but they have 2 year warranty and 90 days return.

Setting it up now and I am freaked that I will drop the thing.
Glad I got AppelCare this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.