Pulling info from Sparseimage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Failurbydesign, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Failurbydesign macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

I made a backup using carbon Copy Cloner and installed a fresh copy of Lion. I installed all the programs i needed then decided to copy some info over, as i was looking in the sparseimage under my user name i couldn't find the library folder!! Is there anyway to view this?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Opt click on the Go menu in the Finder. Or, type in the path in "Go to folder..." (~/Library).

edit: just re-read OP. i thought you meant after booting in the new install. If you are looking in the sparseimage, type in the path (using "Go to folder...").

3. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Thanks! I still seem to be missing some stuff, like my Thunderbird folder..maybe im looking in the wrong spot..

4. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Yeah that was taking me to my library, not the one in the image! I'm not sure im understanding the what to type..

Why would this folder be hidden in the sparse image?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Navigate to your user folder within the sparseimage (not your regular one). Then open a second Finder window and select "Go to folder..." (or hit command-shift-G). Now drag the icon for your user folder on the sparseimage onto the Go To Folder dialog; it should automatically insert a text path that will be something like /Volumes/CCCImage/Users/YourUserName/

Now, add Library/ to the above string, so it says /Volumes/CCCImage/Users/YourUserName/Library/ and hit return. You should now be looking at the hidden Library folder.

I assume because Lion is still recognizing it as a hidden folder on a boot drive, even if it isn't the current boot drive. Either that, or it's just flagged hidden--I forget how Lion specifies this.

You could alternately use any of the dozen or so methods of showing hidden Library folders.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, even that's not necessary. Just navigate to the folder, hit Cmd-Shift-G, and type "Library" with no leading slash. That will take you to the hidden Library folder there.

jW