Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
I don't disagree with a lot here, but to say Google has no vision is to ignore the vast amounts of things they do elsewhere (and arguably even with Android). If you want to talk about Google as a company as a whole... take the blinders off.

And Apple doesn't "wait and see what everyone else does first"? You're kidding, right? If anything, that's mostly what they do. The trick, though, is they learn from others mistakes and missteps and repackages and redelivers it in a way that feels new, all in an attempt to offer a better experience. Nothing wrong with this, of course, but you'd have to be truly daft to think they don't "wait and see."

Agreed. Google does innovate a lot. Android Wear is amazing and so is Android L. Part of the innovation that Google has been making so far with Android is that it shows stuff that is important to you before you need and it prioritizes stuff based on what is more important to you. In a nutshell, they are bringing Google Now outside of Google Now and integrating it throughout Android. This is amazing. Like with notifications, they are ordered based on priority.

----------

]Apple will copy a few distinct features and such. Google and Microsoft will copy the entire OS design, products, and so on with a few twists.

I agree with most of what you said but it would be unfair not to give credits to Microsoft for the move to flat UI. Apple followed in that regards, and Google followed Apple's specific moves so yes, Apple in a way did lead some specific parts of the design, but Apple was still following Microsoft.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I agree with most of what you said but it would be unfair not to give credits to Microsoft for the move to flat UI. Apple followed in that regards, and Google followed Apple's specific moves so yes, Apple in a way did lead some specific parts of the design, but Apple was still following Microsoft.

I would not say that Apple nor Google followed Microsoft to a flat design. Just look out in the wild and everything is flat, muted or bright colors (colorful) - whether it be web design, interior design, etc, it existed long before MS made its move in mobile.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Apple has been settting the standard for a while now. Anything they do is copied. Apple invented the modern smartphone, tablet, ultrabooks, ect

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
I would not say that Apple nor Google followed Microsoft to a flat design. Just look out in the wild and everything is flat, muted or bright colors (colorful) - whether it be web design, interior design, etc, it existed long before MS made its move in mobile.

Yes, I am not saying that Microsoft invented flat design, but I think that they did bring it back into fashion. At least for mobile devices.

----------

Apple has been settting the standard for a while now. Anything they do is copied. Apple invented the modern smartphone, tablet, ultrabooks, ect

Now that I think of it, wow, this did do all that, wow hahaha

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Everyone copies and that's the way it is. With that said, some companies have no vision and primarily copy versus innovate in a particular space. I see Google and Microsoft in this regard. Yes, I know the Android and Microsoft fans will jump up on tables screaming heresy but again this is just my opinion. Why do I think this?

1. When Apple was making the iPhone, Google was making their own phone. It was well written that as soon as Apple dropped their phone, Google started over and copied. This isn't vision, this is straight up copying Microsoft style.

While im not disagreeing that they copy each other, i will add something to this. Googles first phone didnt come out til two year later. If it is well known that they did what you say, then you shouldnt have a problem providing that link of proof, because ive never read that.
Not to mention Apple was not the first to use icons on their phone like the first iPhone had.

2. Android L release is the same thing. Apple decides to shake the industry up and change look and design of their OS. Cute colors and layered interface. A year later, Google decides to do the same damn thing. Again, this isn't vision or leading the industry, it's following.

Jelly Bean was a redesign as well so you could say Apple copied them since they hadnt had a redesign of their OS for 5-6 years prior to iOS 6.
Android 4.0 has went thru ICS, Jelly Bean and KitKat to the current 4.4.4. To think that there wouldnt be a redesign with 5.0 is short sighted. iOS 8 was announced 3 weeks ago. You really think Google changed everything during that 3 weeks just to copy them?

Ive no problem with the rest of your post as again, we know they copy each other and iOS7 is no exception to that and i fail to see where Apple "shook up the industry" with it. I cant defend Microsoft but Google is doing a lot more than just following.
One more thing.......Apple has nothing in any cars yet so i fail to see how Google is copying that. You just dont come up with an idea in 3 weeks and present it in your huge convention of new things. Its been in the works just like Apples has. They just announced theirs first.

3. 64 bit falls in the same category. Apple didn't invent it and their phones don't have a need for it to my knowledge but a year later, Google jumps in when they probably should have been the first to do it. Their code is not optimized and vendors throw crazy specs at it just to make it smooth.

4. Android Auto, Android TV and so on leads to the same conclusion. Copy cats. Why? Because just like the Android phone, they wait to see someone else's vision then go from there.

Google and Microsoft are followers not leaders in the consumer markets for the most part. Don't be surprised to see Microsoft revamping their OS design in the next release to keep up with the Jones'. If I was Apple, I would be mad too because you bust your ass to make a great product only for others to copy it and capitalize on it. Apple does copy as well and there is no denying this. They copy features from time to time but they are mostly visionary and in a leadership role for the market versus a wait and see what everyone else does first.

Again, this is my opinion and that is the whole point of message boards/platform is to share opinion and communicate with folks.
I respect your opinion but it is a biased one if you ask me. I dont mind that they copy each other. I love that we can get the best of all of them implemented in each device.

Last edited:

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
While im not disagreeing that they copy each other, i will add something to this. Googles first phone didnt come out til two year later. If it is well known that they did what you say, then you shouldnt have a problem providing that link of proof. because ive never read that.
Not to mention Apple was not the first to use icons on their phone like the first iPhone had.

Jelly Bean was a redesign as well so you could say Apple copied them since they hadnt had a redesign of their OS for 5-6 years prior to iOS 6. Android 4.0 has went thru ICS, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
To think that there wouldnt be a redesign with 5.0 is short sighted. iOS 7 was announced 3 weeks ago. You really think Google changed everything during that 3 weeks just to copy them?

Ive no problem with the rest of your post as again, we know they copy each other and iOS7 is no exception to that and i fail to see where Apple "shook up the industry". I cant defend Microsoft but Google is doing a lot more than just following.
One more thing.......Apple has nothing in any cars yet so i fail to see how Google is copying that. You just dont come up with an idea in 3 weeks and present it in your huge convention of new things. Its been in the works just like Apples has. They just announced theirs first.

I respect your opinion but it is a biased one if you ask me.

Yup.

----------

And again, none of these threads would be interrupted by "who's copying who" conversations had it not been for Apple. They want to protect their intellectual properties, fine, but there's no denying they're to blame for propagating this idea that everyone copies (but them) and it should be fiercely reminded.

Which, in turn, led to similar backlash when Android and its fans notice Apple copies and they fiercely shout "Ah, but look who's copying now!"

And the cycle continues.

That's why we can't ever talk about new upgrades -- be it iOS or Android -- without it going "they're copying this and copying that."

Oh well.

I, for one, am still pumped about Android L. The more I see/read about it, the more excited I am. Glad to hear the Moto X will get the update. I love the little animations. Also like that the lock screen will tell you how long it'll be until full charge.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
While im not disagreeing that they copy each other, i will add something to this. Googles first phone didnt come out til two year later. If it is well known that they did what you say, then you shouldnt have a problem providing that link of proof. because ive never read that.

Jelly Bean was a redesign as well so you could say Apple copied them since they hadnt had a redesign of their OS for 5-6 years prior to iOS 6. Android 4.0 has went thru ICS, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
To think that there wouldnt be a redesign with 5.0 is short sighted. iOS 7 was announced 3 weeks ago. You really think Google changed everything during that 3 weeks just to copy them?

Ive no problem with the rest of your post as again, we know they copy each other and iOS7 is no exception to that and i fail to see where Apple "shook up the industry". I cant defend Microsoft but Google is doing a lot more than just following.

I respect your opinion but it is a biased one if you ask me. I dont mind that they copy each other. I love that we can get the best of all of them implemented in each device.

The link you requested that was even on MacRumors months back as well:

Linky

Now on to your comment about previous android redsigns, I'm not sure what that has to do with Apple? Apple did one major redesign which is iOS 7, a year later Android is now doing cute colors, layers, focusing more on content and grid designs. Do I really need to spell this out any clearer? Go look at the material design youtube and then go look at the iOS 7 video a year ago. It's ridiculous. Clearly iOS 7 shook up the industry if you see the next biggest rival copying it the following year almost to a tee. Maybe for you to feel like it shook the industry up will require Microsoft doing it as well which we all know they will. Let's put money on it! Windows Phone 8.x or higher, cute colors and layers.

Apple does have something in cars, it's called carplay which they started developing in iOS 7. That gave Google a year plus to copy and announce it on I/O. Again, I hate debating with you because you are so out of the loop, I feel like I have to explain everything to you and provide links.

I'm not gonna dispute that I prefer Apple products above others. I'm coming from Android and Microsoft as well and own a Galaxy S3 that has KitKat on it. For me, I recognize a better product, better experience and think it's worth the price of admission. Is Android bad? Certainly not and is a viable alternative. Android L is right up my alley too because I love the look of iOS 7.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Honestly, I don't think Material Design looks that much like iOS. iOS is more... white and bright neon, with some transparencies.

Material is more understated, with white as well, but also more pastel-ish and grounded bright colors.

Android L feels more like a layered WP than iOS 7, with all its cards and all. Or if anything, Android L looks like the latest HTC Sense.

You might want to say they "copied" WP or HTC's skin more than iOS 7. : shrug :

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Honestly, I don't think Material Design looks that much like iOS. iOS is more... white and bright neon, with some transparencies.

Material is more understated, with white as well, but also more pastel-ish and grounded bright colors.

Android L feels more like a layered WP than iOS 7, with all its cards and all. Or if anything, Android L looks like the latest HTC Sense.

Take a look and you decide:

iOS 7

Material Design

Oh and you are right concerning the colors. When you copy, it can't be an exact copy and you got to do a little twist.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Agreed. Google does innovate a lot. Android Wear is amazing and so is Android L. Part of the innovation that Google has been making so far with Android is that it shows stuff that is important to you before you need and it prioritizes stuff based on what is more important to you. In a nutshell, they are bringing Google Now outside of Google Now and integrating it throughout Android. This is amazing. Like with notifications, they are ordered based on priority.

Yup.

To try to say Google doesn't have any vision with Android is to really ignore what they've been doing with the platform for the past few years. Widgets, third party support, customization, gesture-typing, lock-screen options, home screens, their button layouts, Google Now, quick toggles, I mean... the list goes on and on. All the little things too, like not requiring passwords each time you download an app, allowing OTA over data (annoying my 5C must be on WiFi to get updates)... etc.

There's no denying what Apple has accomplished and what they've paved the way for. Anyone would be foolish to argue against that. There's also no denying iOS brings new features in their own right (again, everyone will copy, as they should). But to think Android hasn't evolved on its own merits since then is silly.

I've said this before... my Android device adapts so incredibly well to me and my specific needs, it's incredible. Whereas my 5C, it's the other way around. I have to adapt entirely to it.

----------

iOS 7

Material Design

Oh and you are right concerning the colors. When you copy, it can't be an exact copy and you got to do a little twist.

I'm sorry, but you sound really bitter. :(

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The link you requested that was even on MacRumors months back as well:

Linky

Now on to your comment about previous android redsigns, I'm not sure what that has to do with Apple? Apple did one major redesign which is iOS 7, a year later Android is now doing cute colors, layers, focusing more on content and grid designs. Do I really need to spell this out any clearer? Go look at the material design youtube and then go look at the iOS 7 video a year ago. It's ridiculous. Clearly iOS 7 shook up the industry if you see the next biggest rival copying it the following year almost to a tee. Maybe for you to feel like it shook the industry up will require Microsoft doing it as well which we all know they will. Let's put money on it! Windows Phone 8.x or higher, cute colors and layers.

Apple does have something in cars, it's called carplay which they started developing in iOS 7. That gave Google a year plus to copy and announce it on I/O. Again, I hate debating with you because you are so out of the loop, I feel like I have to explain everything to you and provide links.

I'm not gonna dispute that I prefer Apple products above others. I'm coming from Android and Microsoft as well and own a Galaxy S3 that has KitKat on it. For me, I recognize a better product, better experience and think it's worth the price of admission. Is Android bad? Certainly not and is a viable alternative. Android L is right up my alley too because I love the look of iOS 7.

LOL.....im not completely out of the loop but i dont have an iPhone so i wouldnt know that Facebook Paper exists since it is ONLY being experimeneted in iPhone in the USA. Its not a major app as of yet.

Thanks for the link. That is news to me. And again, Apple didnt put out the first phone with icons so they didnt invent things there. Samsung had a phone out first similar to the iPhone and its ironic that Apple chose to sue them. Like i said i dont care who copies who....just dont sue over it when your doing the same things.

I read some tech stuff on Pulse but im not into reading everything since there is so much and i dont have a tech job. Its one of the reasons why i do come here .....and BTW, i dont frequent the Apple/Main section. Rarely do i go there since there isnt anything there that interests me very much.

Also all i see is a list of 4 car manufacturers that WILL have Carplay in them but cant find anything that says it is in them now which is really irrelevent. So, since they had a head start, ok, its a copy. But again, the systems cars have now in them suck overall so i hope both Apples and Googles work a lot better so its a win for us having both platforms to choose from so who cares.

Ive also read that you have to have your phone plugged into it to use it and it wont work for anything under 5.0 which is a bummer.

----------

I dont think they look a lot alike either but thats ok. I can change whatever i want that i dont like. They cant.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
And again, none of these threads would be interrupted by "who's copying who" conversations had it not been for Apple. They want to protect their intellectual properties, fine, but there's no denying they're to blame for propagating this idea that everyone copies (but them) and it should be fiercely reminded.

Which, in turn, led to similar backlash when Android and its fans notice Apple copies and they fiercely shout "Ah, but look who's copying now!"

And the cycle continues.

That's why we can't ever talk about new upgrades -- be it iOS or Android -- without it going "they're copying this and copying that."

Sorry, but look at this. You're taking sides too, even though you suggest we drop the copying arguments.

If someone brings up a completely meaningless point about who's copying who, just scream into a pillow and let it go, then continue on with the real, constructive discussion at hand. Without pouring gasoline on the fire. Else the cycle will indeed continue, all the way to the wasteland. Again and again.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

iOS 7

Material Design

I guess you have no comment to my response?

Steve Jobs has admitted to copying in the past so not exactly sure where you're going with your argument.

Nonetheless, this thread has turned into a fanboy discussion.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Sorry, but look at this. You're taking sides too, even though you suggest we drop the copying arguments.

If someone brings up a completely meaningless point about who's copying who, just scream into a pillow and let it go, then continue on with the real, constructive discussion at hand. Without pouring gasoline on the fire. Else the cycle will indeed continue, all the way to the wasteland. Again and again.

Agreed. Let's get this back on track because it'd be a shame if this thread got shut down.

So, Android L...

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Agreed. Let's get this back on track because it'd be a shame if this thread got shut down.

So, Android L...

:)

Having said all that again!... I'm not thrilled with the way Android L is implementing these Heads-Up notifications because they look way too big. They look like they would be intrusive. Notifier Pro, for example, is smaller and looks more sleek.

Yeah they're not very slick at all, didn't like those either. IMO the whole cards-evolved-into-L look tends to look just a tad too blocky sometimes. I can see what they're aiming for with the Material Design thing but in places it just looks clumsy. And a bit more transparency here and there wouldn't hurt.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
:)

Yeah they're not very slick at all, didn't like those either. IMO the whole cards-evolved-into-L look tends to look just a tad too blocky sometimes. I can see what they're aiming for with the Material Design thing but in places it just looks clumsy. And a bit more transparency here and there wouldn't hurt.

Yeah. I can't wait to see what Motorola will do with the X2 and their slightly tweaked version of Android L.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Most of the apps are still old style (not updated to material design), but Google plus is in the new philosophy and it looks fantastic.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I guess you have no comment to my response?

Steve Jobs has admitted to copying in the past so not exactly sure where you're going with your argument.

Nonetheless, this thread has turned into a fanboy discussion.

I never replied because my responses to the others were a perfect fit for you. With that said, this petty copy stuff did briefly derail a wonderful I/O thread and has bored me. I'm off to something more interesting.

Cheers!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
There's been some off topic arguing. Lets get back on topic and discuss I/O

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I hope they update the icons. The gloss is ugly on a lot of the icons. Bevels too need to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.