Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unclevername

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Android went from being something nice to looking like somebody barfed on the screen, good lord. If Android "L" is the future, that's pretty sad.

And how do they do all that to the UI yet they STILL can't get native CalDav, CardDAV, and IMAP folder mapping in the stock client?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
So the only major versions of android for you are those which have major UI changes?

I would tend to think that completely changing the underlying app framework is a more major change.

Uhhh, in order to overhaul the UI, significant changes are made to the underlying framework. And let's see, Google just announced 5000 API changes to the next version. Are you arguing for my point or against? Cause it seems like the former, rather than the later.

----------

Oh sure, complete integration would be optimal of course. And hopefully that's what they're moving towards. But for now, I would be quite happy with just the Pushbullet and MightyText functionality baked into Chrome and perhaps made a bit more streamlined. I'm not that concerned about answering the phone through my computer honestly.

Neither am I. In fact answering the phone via the PC or even a watch is kind of gimmicky to me. I'm sure there are uses for it, but that would be for places like businesses.

I would just prefer Google bought Push bullet and added a layer into the 'Chrome to Phone' app that allowed for this inherent ability on any PC running the Chrome extension.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Android went from being something nice to looking like somebody barfed on the screen, good lord. If Android "L" is the future, that's pretty sad.

And how do they do all that to the UI yet they STILL can't get native CalDav, CardDAV, and IMAP folder mapping in the stock client?

Go try one of the 400 other free clients

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
why is 5.0 (assuming that's the number) called "L"? short for lollipop?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Uhhh, in order to overhaul the UI, significant changes are made to the underlying framework. And let's see, Google just announced 5000 API changes to the next version. Are you arguing for my point or against? Cause it seems like the former, rather than the later.

They could make Android 5 look exactly the same as 4.4 and it still would be a massive change worthy of a major version number.

You were very much making it sound like it needs a UI overhaul to be considered a "major release". You're putting the horse before the cart - the UI looks and behaves differently because of the major underlying changes.

I'm sorry if you have trouble understanding that.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
What's the point of all these new animations in L if users of Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG phones won't get them?

Sometimes I don't understand this kind of things. Every skin has their own animations (Touchwiz, Sense, etc).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Overall a very "meh" conference.

As expected lots of concepts and deals...

The only interesting part was Android L. It looks pretty cool, even though it did rip off the iOS UI.

I bet Android YouTube and Chrome still can't play audio in the background.

Apple's conference was much more impressive and brought substantial changes.

From the guy who started the thread- "How worried are Google and Microsoft"? :rolleyes:

I dont see how Apple announcing copys of Google is more impressive than what you saw today with over 5000 APIs, and a new UI of a new OS and more but ....you did start that thread. I dont care about wearables but many others do.

And if Android still cant play audio in the background, wow...one complaint? There are still many things iOS cant do that Android does even with their new announcements.

Truth is , iOS took one step forward recently trying to catch up and today it went two steps back.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What's the point of all these new animations in L if users of Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG phones won't get them?

Sometimes I don't understand this kind of things. Every skin has their own animations (Touchwiz, Sense, etc).

Well, because there will likely be devices with all of these new animations. Google, HTC, Samsung, Sony, LG and to a lesser extent Motorola (near stock UI) all released devices in the past year running 'stock' Android. Nobody's making you choose the devices that are skinned and they're not the only option available (though I understand this is less true outside of the US).

People tout the openness Android and all the benefits it offers--well, that means it's open to all kinds of implementations--gotta take the good with the not so good. ;)

----------

I'm very particular, I love it being built in and Google has finally done this:D

Agreed, and the brief demo I saw on video today looked pretty nice.

What I am curious to see is how loud the uproar is about the the new 'heads-up' notifications which seem to be the Android equivalent to iOS's banner notifications, something I've seen proponents of Android's system of notifications rail on since its implementation on iOS. And to be honest, they seem even larger and more intrusive on Android.

Don't get me wrong--I really like these two elements being added to Android--makes it the complete notification package, so to speak, IMO.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Well, because there will likely be devices with all of these new animations. Google, HTC, Samsung, Sony, LG and to a lesser extent Motorola (near stock UI) all released devices in the past year running 'stock' Android. Nobody's making you choose the devices that are skinned and they're not the only option available (though I understand this is less true outside of the US).

People tout the openness Android and all the benefits it offers--well, that means it's open to all kinds of implementations--gotta take the good with the not so good. ;)

----------

Agreed, and the brief demo I saw on video today looked pretty nice.

What I am curious to see is how loud the uproar is about the the new 'heads-up' notifications which seem to be the Android equivalent to iOS's banner notifications, something I've seen proponents of Android's system of notifications rail on since its implementation on iOS. And to be honest, they seem even larger and more intrusive on Android.

Don't get me wrong--I really like these two elements being added to Android--makes it the complete notification package, so to speak, IMO.

I'm in love with everything announced today, problem is that they have dropped support for my phone so I'll be waiting for a port till tomorrow and XDA will probably have something for me:D

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I think 1.5 years is up. I'll just flash a port since I know XDA is good about that sort of thing lol

I don't think Google ever stated that they will arbitrarily limit the updates of a device to 18 months. They wanted OEMs to support their devices with updates for at least 18 months...

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I don't think Google ever stated that they will arbitrarily limit the updates of a device to 18 months. They wanted OEMs to support their devices with updates for at least 18 months...

So I should get the full version of 5.0 when it's released? Regardless I can't wait that long and will be flashing it to my phone, screenshots will be uploaded tomorrow:cool:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
So I should get the full version of 5.0 when it's released? Regardless I can't wait that long and will be flashing it to my phone, screenshots will be uploaded tomorrow:cool:

Im just saying I dont believe there is any policy reason why you wouldnt get the update (there certainly isnt a technical reason). That being said, Google might decide it isn't financially viable to do it!

I remember reading a Google+ post from a Google dev that they fully intended the Galaxy Nexus to get Kitkat (which was well over 18 months at that point) but that Texas Instruments wasn't able to provide the drivers for the SoC.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Im just saying I dont believe there is any policy reason why you wouldnt get the update (there certainly isnt a technical reason). That being said, Google might decide it isn't financially viable to do it!

I remember reading a Google+ post from a Google dev that they fully intended the Galaxy Nexus to get Kitkat (which was well over 18 months at that point) but that Texas Instruments wasn't able to provide the drivers for the SoC.
That's very interesting, thanks for that. So the only reason the nexus 5 got it as a preview would be because it's a reference device.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Such flattery you are expressing for google devs to code all these features they copied in less than a month since apple keynote.

Factory reset has been around since last year, iOS in the car was announced with iOS7 and Air Play mirroring has been around since iOS6, so errm...

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
From the guy who started the thread- "How worried are Google and Microsoft"? :rolleyes:

I dont see how Apple announcing copys of Google is more impressive than what you saw today with over 5000 APIs, and a new UI of a new OS and more but ....you did start that thread. I dont care about wearables but many others do.

And if Android still cant play audio in the background, wow...one complaint? There are still many things iOS cant do that Android does even with their new announcements.

Truth is , iOS took one step forward recently trying to catch up and today it went two steps back.

Apple also announced 4000 new APIs. Android L major improvements were largely copying Apple's iOS too. And if not copying iOS then catching up with the Android counterparts by other OEMS like Do not Disturb, or auto rotation lock.

They both had their unique features too. Though, in my opinion, IOS had the more interesting unique features as I find continuity more useful than all the car, watch, TV integration combined.

My point is, both copied and both innovated. Which innovation people found more interesting and useful is subjective. So please don't say that IOS is two steps behind as if it's a fact.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
One thing missing from the keynote - any announcements about Hangouts/Voice integration. I hope it is still happening...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.