Purchase iphone now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuarts, Jan 16, 2008.

1. stuarts macrumors newbie

I'm looking for advice....I can't decide if I should buy an iphone now or wait. I'm no longer tied to a contract but I don't want to get burned in a few months with a major update. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Here's my taken on buying tech devices in response to the " buy or wait " question.

You and everyone else knows that no matter what is released or when it is released there is ALWAYS another new release coming. If you wait until the next release, what says when it is released you won't again ask .....

" should I buy now, or wait for the next release ! "

It's a vicious marketing cycle the tech companies create.

I am convinced that Apple has iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 4 up to iPhone 20 already for production. They do it in incremental steps so that they can sell more phones to those addicts who " just have to have the latest phone no matter what the cost. " :D:D:D:D

What you need to do is .....
    1st -> Identify your needs.
    2nd -> Determine if the iPhone meets those needs.
    3rd -> If YES to 2nd they BUY - If it does not, than wait!

We bought our 3 days before the keynote, opened them up and was tinkering with them while the Keynote was ongoing! :D:D:D:D

3. stekerrod macrumors regular

nobody knows when apple is going to release iPhone 2, but like a previous poster said if the current iPhone meets your needs get one, you wont be dissapointed! it's a great product!

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no one may know that, but i think everyone knows that you dont know the difference between know and no

5. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

That's the question on my mind too and probably on the minds of many, many others. After the announcements yesterday, I kinda felt let down because I was waiting for any kind of hardware update to the iPhone (specifically 3G), despite how far fetched I thought it would be. I was hoping to be surprised with an "One more thing" regarding the iPhone at the end, but alas it didn't happen.

Now I'm sitting here saying I could have bought the iPhone months ago after the price drop and been enjoying it all this time. So I'm out of luck because of that and then if I decide to get it now and they do annouce something in the next few months I'll be double screwed. Decisions, decisions. But that's the name of the technology game and if you really want the iPhone and will enjoy using it every day, then every day that passes that you don't have it is a day passed that you could of enjoyed it.

That's the way I've been thinking about it since yesterday's announcement, but everyone is different. With that said, I'm still unsure what to do :D

6. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

me too...

7. Keane Fan macrumors member

I'm gonna wait. If they don't release a new version by the time I go to college next year (august) I will just buy it.

8. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

9. kimguroo macrumors member

I think we won't see new iphone until end of this year or even 09 macworld.

apple need to have 3G chip (also there will be battery issue), maybe 3.2 mp camera lens etc..... maybe, flash memory price may come down within end of this year. I guess it's more expensive to build 3G iphone at this point.

People does not want to pay more than $399 and it's hard to keep the price down with all the new features.

especially yesterday's software upgrade, I am happy with my iphone and looking forward to seeing sdk soon.

10. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Don't really know...

I'm not sure if the next hardware-matic update of the iPhone will be iPhone 2. It still has alot of capacity in terms of chipset. They might only update the iPhone 1 to 16GB until next year or the the end of this year. Still, it isn't really "Apple"like to not update a product within 1 year from its original release. I'm guessing 499$ for the 16GB iPhone which is 337,09 euros around March and a iPhone 2 option say, before november this year. Like Steve said, the talks with China Mobile aren't dead. Also talks with DoCoMo are still running and the thing is, they only support 3G. Only the future will tell...

I'm still putting my money on March till the next iPhone update. Maybe end of Feb. It won't be the iPhone 2, thats a bit too early...

11. stekerrod macrumors regular

terribly sorry about that, was typing to quickly and didn't read it through after typing, i will try harder not to offend you with future posts

12. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

13. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i'm prob. going to wait till next Jan, or whenever the next one comes out... and try to unlock it, i can't leave t-mobile, and i heard a lot of garbage coming from at&t service dept.

14. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Well this is what you CAN expect... I think

Now now, don't be so harsh on yourself. Next Jan, iPhone 2/ iPhone with 3G will be out, AT&T CEO fellow said so. Back in 2007 it was already said by the same person the design/blueprints of the iPhone 2 were 90% on the way. I'm guessing September right now. There might be an upgrade to 16GB before that time. If so, 'round end of Feb. or begin March this year.

Just my 0.02€

15. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I was waiting until after Macworld to buy my first iPhone...Macworld came and went on Tuesday and with no big updates for the iPhone, I went to my AT&T store on Wednesday (yesterday) and picked one up. I don't regret it at all. Great service, full bars, fast enough Edge...I think unless you have a set date for something new, just get it. It's worth it. If you're always waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll be waiting forever.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

17. Keane Fan macrumors member

So what happened with those rumors that the AT&T Ceo "confirmed" about a 3G phone coming out in may or july?

18. smallfield macrumors member

Wait!!!

Unless you are buying it because it is pretty and gratuitously animated.

While I agree the iPhone is beautiful, intuitive and overall better than most phones on the market, I really believe apple can do better.

First:
    Who cares when the second iphone comes out. The main advantage it has over other smart phones is the beautiful web interface. Without 3G this is of much less value. Everyone argues it works great with wi-fi. Well, I use my Powerbook (hopefully a MacBook air soon) instead in this setting. A cell phone should connect quickly with the cell phone network. I love sitting next to my friend with my 3G connection and reaching a site 2x faster with my ugly brick of a PDA phone. I have a powerbook and mac pro because they work better than the competition. iPhone isn't there yet.

Second:
    Although I haven't heard it in this discussion, AT&T is horrible (My wife's network). When you switch away it's amazing. You'll get all your calls and stop having that regular occurrence or their "fewest dropped calls". Oh, that commercial makes me mad when I'd use hers and drop my conversation 3 times on the way home from work (7.1 mile trip). Before you switch from Verizon or a more reliable network, borrow an AT&T phone from a friend, see if it works where you typically are.

Third:
    Apple reliably updates the ipods on a yearly basis. We get pretty regular updates of laptops at similar times each year. I have no foundation and am not an "insider", but Apple will probably just release a new one in June give or take a month or two. I can't think of a product that was unchanged much more than a year (or at least one meant for mass market). They can't really sit stagnant. Typically their hardware/software is about 10-12 months ahead of other products. With AT&T's inferior service, they have to be cautious and stay ahead.

Finally:
    I'll bet there are a lot of people like me. I went to the Apple store the day the iphone came out. I really wanted one until disabled wi-fi and saw the SLOW connection speed and realized they'd wait for the next generation. If they didn't have a display at the mac store with AT&T connection, I'd have bought one.

If Apple could make a profit with a new release today, they'd send it to market. I think they're working on it harder than we realize.

I'd say if you are waiting, you've been waiting since June. You might as well continue for now. You're probably 4-6 months away. You'll at least get 16GB, probably 3G. If your getting eager, get a blackberry pearl, moto q or a blackjack at a fraction of the cost. You'll probably just renew your contract when you get the next iPhone.

To Apple:
    I'd love an iPhone, hurry up and fix it Steve.

19. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It seems feasible that there would be a major update late spring/early summer.

I'm waiting till August, most likely. If an update comes out after that - oh well. I remember the iPods with color screens (not the video iPod, but the one before that) came out like 3 weeks after I bought my b&w one. I wasn't upset because my iPod still did what I needed it to do. The update didn't affect me too much. Would I like a color screen? Yes. Did I *need* it? No.

So if there's a hardware feature you really need (like 3G) and could not stand to see come out within a few months - wait. If not, buy now. Anything like MMS, copy+paste, etc. can be added through a software update.

Ahaha, I would always get angry at those ads too. They were true -- I actually never had a dropped call -- the phone would never disconnect! I'd just hear a bunch of static and some garbled voices, but the call was never dropped. I ended up wasting my time (and minutes) just saying, "Hello? Hello?" over and over again.

20. smallfield macrumors member

Yeah, then you can't hang up once they are gone and your phone then locks for about 5 minutes to punish you for the dropped call. God, I hate AT&T. I'll by the 3G iPhone the day it comes out just because I love Apple that much. I'll still never forgive Steve for that alliance though.

21. knoxtown macrumors 6502

22. cjbrx3115 macrumors newbie

Your choice

Honestly, since you don't have a contract with another carrier currently, you can either:

1. Get the iPhone now and enjoy it. Once the next iPhone (3G) comes out this year, then you can upgrade (presumably pay cheaper for the next version since you are upgrading...)
    2. Wait for the next iPhone to come out. Personally, I wouldn't do this, because I LOVE my iPhone, and I'm sure you would like one too.

Basically, it's your choice. But I will tell you, it is AMAZING!

It might also be cheaper to buy one now then pay a little more to upgrade for the next one, rather than just buying the next one flat out. Nobody knows what the price of the next one will be, but I think it's going to be around $450-550.

23. Keane Fan macrumors member

Just wait.. we can wait together. If space isn't an issue for you, though, I'd get one now. My current library on Itunes holds around 10 GB.. so I really need more space.. I ain't deletin stuff. lol.

24. Edwardz macrumors regular

iPhone 3G will be out at WWDC. I believe it. I remember June 07 was just yesterday, so waiting another 5 months isn't bad at all. I'm waiting. AT&T service sucks. I don't care what anyone says, it is pretty bad. 3G will recover their service and blow up the internet speed on the iPhone.
    When iPhone 3G is announced for a day, I am waiting 2 days in line. Swear to God!

25. doobi18 macrumors 6502

firstly, buy now!

secondly, everyone keeps talking about the "3G iPhone coming in 2008". but you have to analyse certain things. what are the constants? AT&T. Whatever direction apple goes in, they are working with AT&T. Over the past year & a bit, AT&T has gone beserk to build an awesome EDGE network. They have nothing spectacular in the realm of 3G and that would be a HUGE transition, and such heavy spending on EDGE infastructure to switch to 3G so soon seems whichever way you look at it invalid.

my two cents

doobs