Purchase of new iMac 21.5". Thoughts/Help??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by airomero83, Jan 26, 2014.

1. airomero83 macrumors newbie

Looking to get rid of my mid-2010 MBP and purchase an iMac. Main purpose of desktop will be as an iTunes server to access movies/tv shows from both of my Apple TVs. Occasional use will include web browsing and email and potentially light photo/video editing in future so I don't think I need something extremely powerful for now. Currently music/video library is about 600GB but will be growing in the future.

My only worry right now is how to best handle storage options. I'm looking at potentially getting a 3TB external HD to store iTunes library and pairing it up with an Airport Time Capsule for back-up purposes. This a good set-up? Any recommendations on a great external HD?

What do you guys think of the current config?

iMac 21.5"
    3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    256GB Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5

Thanks for the help as this will be my first iMac purchase! :)

2. username: macrumors 6502a

Looking to get my first iMac too. You're not considering a fusion drive?

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Good call in not getting the Fusion. Since it's still got a mechanical portion, it's just as likely to fail as a HDD because a Fusion can't operate off just the SSD sector only.

And besides, you get full blazing speed with an SSD.

The 8GB of RAM...not sure about this though. I fitted my 21.5" with 16GB because it's almost impossible to open up the iMac and add RAM.

4. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Unless people live in a vastly different world than I do, where every mechanical hdd is failing faster than the snow of the recent storm fell, the Fusion Drive is a great compromise of cost per GB and speed.

And Apple CAN open up the iMac and replace/repair the hdd if it fails. It's no different than the OP storing his iTunes files on an external hdd or using Time Capsule for storing backups - both of which have the same chance of failure (slim).

I'm all for making the move to fully solid state storage, for all the obvious reasons, but at this point, the cost per GB is drastically higher and the FD uses both the ssd and hdd portions to their best. You get massive storage AND fast ssd speed. I've been using my early '13 iMac with FD and have had zero issues - it's fast, faster in fact than my '11 mba which is all ssd (not surprising given processor speed and extra ram).

The only time I wouldn't recommend FD is for those running Windows / VM's, but for the OP's use-case, a FD (at the same price as the ssd) would be a good option.

5. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

I've had my fusion drive for about a year now. It's been performing just fantastic, no problems with it whatsoever.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I'm really getting tired of people spreading this sort of false information. SSD drives are just as likely to fail as mechanical drives. Remember, SSD's only have a finite number of read/write cycles. Mechanical drives can last for years just like SSD's.

To the OP, getting the pure SSD in your situation would probably be fine but if you want more bang for the buck on space and still get SSD like speeds, the 1TB Fusion option for the model iMac you are getting is something to consider.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'd recommend anybody to go for the Fusion drive as its an amazing bit of tech for the price. Had mine since launch with no issues whatsoever. Keep it on 24/7 as well.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Frankly an iMac is overkill for your application. I use mine for the same thing but you could easily do this on a Mac Mini for hundreds of $ less. Just save your iTunes library on an EHD and that will work just fine. No need to spend the money you are considering.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Keep your MBP, which will do web browsing, email and photo/video editing just fine. Get a base Mac mini (any will do) to handle the server. Having a full computer (with keyboard and display) is a waste for this.

I've got a 4 year old mini server with 10TB of disks that handles this and more. The current base model is more powerful and you can attach as many multi-TB drives as you need in the future. Power consumption will be much less than the iMac.

10. airomero83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for late response but thanks to all for all the opinions. I'm considering moving to Fusion drive and 16GB of RAM now.

I may have understated my potential use for iMac as I do need something with more power as iPhoto currently chokes and takes forever when importing stuff. If I were to get Mac Mini (which I did consider) then I would have to purchase a separate monitor as well. In this case, a TB Display lol gotta keep it Apple. I think w/ the addition of 16GB of RAM, I future proof my purchase of an iMac.

Thanks for your help.

11. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Why not just get a apple time capsule and use that for all your media? That's what I do cause it has to stream anyways to the Apple TV. You get either 2 or 3tb. Plus back up your laptop. It works flawless. I have a 27 loaded iMac and that's how my iTunes is set up. Just direct your iTunes to the router time capsule.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The "problem" with using an iMac as a server is you will want to have the server running all the time and an iMac consumes much more power than a mini, Time Capsule, or a NAS.

I'd be more concerned with why iPhoto is choking importing your pictures. How many are you trying to import at a time and how big is your library. I've got a 4 year old iMac, about 20,000 images and use Aperture and import time doesn't get in the way.

13. airomero83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it won't be on necessarily "all the time." Most of the content I view is on the Apple TV anyways. iMac will be used to airplay shows/movies found from "other sites." :) And will be woken up via Apple TV.

I do have a question on RAM however. I see Apple has refurbished Late 2013 iMacs and exactly the specs I wanted except for RAM which is at 8GB. Is 16GB really that necessary? I'm looking at a difference of $400 w/ Apple Protection Plan for both. ($1608 w/ 8GB vs $2068 w/ 16GB).

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

8GB is more than enough. My server Mac has 8GB and uses 5 with all services running (including a Windows virtual machine).

15. accountforit macrumors 6502a

You can upgrade later by tearing the unit apart if needed. Save your $460.

16. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

OSX Macericks only uses 2.8Gb before doing any sort of application caching (which gets clears if an application needs more ram anyway). Plus with RAM compression, 12Gb of data can theoretically be within the 8Gb module (to 2X4 to be correct ;) ). 8Gb is more than enough.

17. Altis macrumors 68010

Would the OP even need a Mac Mini? I don't see why the MBP couldn't handle this, for no additional cost beyond the external drive (s).

Or just, time capsule.

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Will a TC serve to ATVs? He wanted to sell his MBP and get an iMac. I suggested keeping the MBP and using a Mac mini, saving money. I wouldn't recommend the MBP acting as a dual purpose computer and server. Actually I don't recommend combining the two functions and a MBP isn't exactly the ideal server design (neither is an iMac). A Mac mini sits nicely on a bookshelf and doesn't require desk space.
    [​IMG]

19. Altis macrumors 68010

I thought it could be used if it was on the network.

I do agree that a Mac Mini would be better suited than a MBP or iMac... but it could very well be the least costly solution. Was just trying to toss it in there as an option.

20. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Do you have any idea how hard it is to tear apart the iMac?

It's next to impossible to take it apart.

21. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if you are an idiot.

22. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Shots fired! Shots fired!

23. yjchua95 macrumors 604

24. accountforit macrumors 6502a

First of all, I didn't call you an idiot. Only paranoid idiots are going to complain over removing a tape seal and reapplying new tape upon reassembly. Maybe paranoid idiots feel paying $480 for the difference in RAM is worth it over doing the work yourself for $100.

Who said anything about a 2011 model?

Just because it's not a one screw disassembly doesn't mean it's "next to impossible". Are the guys at the Genius Bar superheroes; the guys that actually fix these iMacs? Do they have some special superpower?

It sounds like it's above your head. You can take the idiot moniker if you'd like.

25. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In that case, then most people are idiots in your opinion.

Are you sure it's just a tape seal?

You forgot all about the screen. Look at step 5 of the iFixit teardown: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936