Purchased 16GB New iPad, returned and bought 32GB instead

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mikeymike1, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mikeymike1 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a New iPad from the Apple online store, assuming at the time that 16GB would be satisfactory for my use. However, almost immediately after completing the transaction, I developed an annoying feeling that it wouldn't be enough space. I am by no means a heavy user; I mainly deal with essays, PDFs, other word documents and various books. However I wanted to also store photos, with enough space for large apps and possibly movies/tv shows for when I travel. I started researching and seeing how other people felt about the amount of space they need, and became worried that I'd made a mistake.

I read a few threads and made my mind up that 16GB would not be enough space, which perhaps is evidence of how persuasive the experience of a stranger can be. I disregarded the 64GB completely as I always considered that too excessive for my personal use.

The crucial factor for me was that in purchasing a piece of fantastic equipment that I would be using every single day, I did NOT want to find myself in the position of constantly deleting, changing, and updating what I kept on my iPad to stop myself from running out of space. I decided that I would need the extra space, so as soon as my New iPad arrived, I packaged it up to be collected by a courier without even opening it, and placed an order for the 32GB. It proved to be a good decision, as I have since discovered that given my user habits, I would have never managed with only 16GB of space.

I know I would've saved myself a lot of hassle if I'd just bought the 32GB in the first place, but at least it's done now! I would urge anyone not on the strictest of budgets to take the plunge and go for that extra space, it's truly worth it for such an extraordinary device! :)

2. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

3. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

The screen. The screen. What about the screen??!! :)

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I was trying really hard to decide between the 32 GB wifi only model or the 16GB LTE model. I chose 32 GB wifi only.

My 16 GB iPad 2 was constantly full. I was always trying to clear space and make room for new games/movies/music. And that was BEFORE all the retina compatible updates started rolling out.

If I want internet connectivity, I could always tether my iPad to my iPhone. I can't add storage space to it. And since I commute a lot, I keep a lot of content on it. (Books, the latest Wired, newspapers, newer music, TV shows that aren't on Hulu or Netflix, movie rentals, etc.)

I don't use my whole 32 GB, but I love having the freedom of not worrying about how much room I have left.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

This is all based on an individual's usage and habits. I went with 16GB LTE over 32 WIFI cuz it suited ME better, for roughly the same price. As 32GB seems to suit you better. I don't keep much media on mine as I stream everything and that works for me. Plus there's so much free cloud service out there now. I have 2GB Dropbox, 5GB Google Drive, 5GB Box, and 25GB SkyDrive....so very happy I stuck with my 16GB iPad.

6. srshaw macrumors 6502

I bought the 32gb and it's nearly empty. It's my first ipad and have found because the browser is so good, I don't use many apps. I stream my music and films so don't need to store them on the iPad.

7. pdawg macrumors regular

Good choice. I always think it's better to have a little extra space than to constantly be shifting apps, music, etc around.

8. mikeymike1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true, streaming has advanced so quickly which was something I considered, but I'd definitely miss the extra space with WiFi only. Glad it's worked out for you! :D

9. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

I did exactly the same thing when I got my iPad 2.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I went with the 32GB too, thinking it would be enough since my iTouch 32GB is close to max. I still have to be selective because these Apps are huge. I haven't put a dent in the music or books part. But I noticed that the 17 Apps is close to 5GB on my iPad vs over 150 Apps on my iPod which is roughly 8GB.

Plus I'm thinking the next couple IOS updates will add to that storage. So the 32GB is best for now.

11. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I bought a 16 LTE then a Seagate wireless drive.

12. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Cloud services means I can stream all my music, photos, and videos with ease. If I am out I simply tether my iPad to my phone. 16gb is more than enough for me.

If I travel abroad I will have some contents loaded locally for the interim.

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Did the same and got the 16gb Kingston wi drive. Same as having a 32 gig but for only 44 bucks more. I'll never keep a full 16 gb of apps on this guy. Maybe the next one I will get larger.

14. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Ah. Yea mine was $200 but it's 500GB.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

16GB is ok for me because I don't plan to put music/song I am deaf and I don't need to play games on iPad I watch movies off Seagate Satellite wireless drive. Right now I have 50 apps with only 5GB

16. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

iPad 16GB + cloud storage = save money on upgrading to storage you don't really need.

17. imeth macrumors regular

Horrible thread so you spent $120+ for 16GB when for $240 u get 48GB.. People who got 32GB over 16 nothing to make a buzz about. I have a 16GB which is more than enough plus I know it will sell for the most value when I sell

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

well if you put it into perspective, if you need only an extra 16GB, why would you waste an extra $120. Each person is different, and this is a forum. Let them enjoy sharing it to the world!! :)

19. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I plan on getting 32 GB when I pick up the new iPad. I currently own the iPad 1st gen 32 GB and it has served me well. I can load enough videos along with everything else I need to keep me happy until I get back to my laptop to load it up again. :)

20. ManUMark macrumors member

I have the 32 as i wanted the extra space for the videos i planned making, the extra space is a luxury if the cost is not a factor. Having said that 1 hour of vid takes up so little room and Apps can be stored off device i dont think there is anything to get stressy over with a 16. PS i do not use my iPad for music as i have iPod for this.

21. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm kinda on the same boat, I'm upgrading it from 32GB to 64GB :)

Love it!

22. Dkorda macrumors 6502

23. Hepnotic macrumors newbie

Yeah 16GB isnt enough especially with the larger app sizes that you get with retina supported apps.

I got the 64GB and I have half of it used up.

24. ihatephish macrumors regular

I can't fathom people not filling up their iPad. I have a 64 GB new iPad and it's almost full.

25. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

i personally never found 16 gigs to not be sufficient for me on the ipad2, even though i got the 64 gig version initially, so i went for a 16 gig with the new ipad. two reasons for me - cloud storage and resale value. i discovered the 16 gig variety has the highest resale value comparative to its initial price where i live. i will likely upgrade ipads every year henceforth so that was something to consider for me.
    all boils down to personal preference and usage though, doesn't it. glad you got something you're happy with. i know the niggling feeling of having made the wrong choice can seriously hamper the enjoyment of a new device, so feeling confident about the purchase is important. enjoy!