Purchased a 13" MBP 6 weeks ago.. "Don't buy" now feels like "Great buy".

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markwbowen, Oct 28, 2016.

1. markwbowen macrumors newbie

markwbowen

6 weeks ago today I purchased a MBP 13" 8/256GB - I needed it then even though I knew full well there would likely be something new arriving within a matter of weeks. I rely heavily on Photoshop in particular and couldn't be without a computer, waiting for what was essentially only a rumoured product.

I paid just under £1200 for this and regularly use Photoshop, Logic and Final Cut on it. It has been utterly faultless and has made working on large projects a pleasure rather than a chore.

Basically, I feel that a "don't buy" status for the machine only a few days ago now makes no sense considering the new UK pricing for all macs. I feel that I actually paid a very good price for a fantastic computer.

Anyone else in the same position?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Glad to hear you're happy with your purchase. Those 13" laptops are great.

3. markwbowen thread starter macrumors newbie

markwbowen

Yeah feel great about it now. Was worried watching the release yesterday but feel that I've actually come out of it well!

4. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

The "Don't Buy" status stuff they use on this website is crap, it's just a time metric.

5. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Good move! Happy to hear it.

6. E3BK, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

My 2010 MBP was dying but I held off as long as I could waiting for the new MBP. By late Aug, it was unusable. So I had to get the 2015 model, refurb of course. But it came in a sealed new box instead of the regular brown packaging for refurbs. Anyway, I was upset that Apple was taking so long but now very pleased with my purchase. I'll upgrade in a few years once all the ports have standardized and apps have been developed to utilize the touch bar or whatever.

7. markwbowen thread starter macrumors newbie

markwbowen

Yeah that reminds me - I have my usb, hdmi and SD ports! Glad you're pleased too - 2011 to 2015 would have been a good upgrade anyway.

8. Lollo macrumors regular

Lollo

I'm seriously considering to buy the same 13" now: how's the integrated GPU?

Think that I'd be coming from an old 2010 windows laptop with Ati HD5400.

9. markwbowen thread starter macrumors newbie

markwbowen

It's seriously great. I've mostly had mid/high end windows laptops in the past and this is the best I've owned by some distance. My previous (rather expensive) Asus laptop was useless at intensive photoshop sessions and would get hotter than the sun. This copes with it like I'm typing an email.

10. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

How's Logic Pro running for you on that? How many tracks with plugins, etc.?

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Are you Nuts its 25% Thicker and 1us pound in weight heavier. Your Display has 30% less color and 50% less brightness. You don't have any USB-C ports and Your re-sale value not having a Touch Bar is cut by 1/3 on a new machine. And its instantly looks dated.

Its likely the worst purchased you have ever made.

12. Lollo macrumors regular

Lollo

Thank you!

My Sony Vaio still runs fairly well considering that is an almost 7 years old laptop, I used it as my primary machine for work, study and gaming too, so I think that switching to that beast would surely be noticeable, also if it's a 1 year old machine.

thickness and weight is an obsession nowadays... and for the screen, until yesterday 2015 Retina was considered the best one for the laptops market. 500$ more for an oled bar and dongles? You can't pick a Mac thinking about its resale value.

13. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

Lol k. I guess if you thought the rMBP wasn't some hideous monster a mere two days ago but then saw something new and shiny you may feel this way but I think just about everyone else still thinks it's a beautiful and capable solution.

14. ckisgen macrumors member

Yeah, I waited a while for yesterday's keynote and was very deflated. Mostly over the price but I have also grown to really value my Magsafe port. I'm also quite fond of being able to connect "legacy" USB peripherals, including my nearly new iPhone 7, without adapters and dongles.

So, I got to my local Apple store about an hour after they opened this morning and snagged their last 2015 13" MBP that had the specs I wanted (3.1Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). $1,949 after the wife's education discount. Which saves me about $500 over what the new one would cost me with similar specs. Not including the dongles I'd need to buy. I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Coming from a late 2008 unibody MacBook, this should last me quite a while. R.I.P. Magsafe.

15. Wallabe, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

If you still want them, get them now. Best Buy and Apple still have those in stock. Get it before 2-3 weeks later, when they all get replaced.

This one might be slimmer, but you'll have to deal with dongles on a daily basis, especially if you need to use traditional USB and SD cards.

I guess Apple didn't take more "courage" and remove the headphone port too.

This reminds me of the Mac Mini Quad Core, it's still useful at least 4 years after it has been released, because all the new updates are either slower, no quad core, or unupgradeable drive/RAM. Apple shooting itself in the foot.

16. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Meant 2010 MBP!! Going from non-retina to retina was a HUGE leap.

But yes, the port situation needs to settle. I actually do think moving to USB-C is the way of the future but everything else needs to catch up. Even my iPhone 7 is still USB/Lightning. Lightning headphones still don't make sense to me, even less now with the new MBP's. Why not move the iPhone to USB-C standard if you're going this route? You need an adapter to do everything with Apple products at the moment so Imma just lay back in the cut and let the dust settle for a minute. lol.

17. markwbowen thread starter macrumors newbie

markwbowen

Was hoping for 27% thickness difference.

18. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

I seriously doubt in 8 years when I sell it the value is going to affected in any way. I wonder how much my current 2008 MBP is worth...

19. markwbowen thread starter macrumors newbie

markwbowen

All feels a bit messy. Something I never associated with Apple a few years ago. Ditching the headphone port is mental. I get it if its something no-one uses anymore (DVD drive etc) but how many people do you see every single day with 3rd party headphones plugged into an iPhone? a lot. I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 6 and big panasonic headphones.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    So far, great. Most I've done so far is a 12 track recording with audio tracks and a few reverb, EQ and compression plugins but it hasn't even blinked. I've even occasionally left PS open in the background by mistake with massive multi layered images in progress and haven't noticed. Bollocks to touch bar and whatever percent thiner it is.

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

Plus one (Touch Bar)
    Minus three (USB-A, SD slot, MagSafe)

Based on my Kindergarten calculations, I will bet the mortgage that you are 100% right.

BTW, love the OP's avatar. I have a dog that sorta looks like yours. I love my dog more than all my gadgets combined. Lower maintenance than having children. I get loyalty from my family dog. Can't say the same thing from any company including :apple:.

21. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502

22. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Macrumors always has the best cope threads! :)

23. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Definitely messy. I don't really have a problem w/ removing the 3.5mm headphone jack but they should have made it USB-C instead of lightning. At least then you could use those headphones in the new MBP's without an adapter and a signal that they are all in on this standard.

24. markwbowen thread starter macrumors newbie

markwbowen

Ah thanks! She's my photo on everything - more important than any lump of aluminium :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    thanks. nom.

25. grifftaur macrumors regular

I can't tell if you're serious