Purchased a new 5s to replace 4s...Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bartonjm, Jan 3, 2014.

1. bartonjm macrumors member

Hello folks,
    I had hoped to keep my 64gb 4s, but there are numerous issues that have led to me purchasing a 64gb 5s. My questions have to deal with long term functionality/durability. I usually use my phones for over two years, so I was wondering what folks thought about the prospect of the long term durability and function of the 5s. It seems to have a bunch of upgrades over my old 4s, but the phone seems flimsy compared to the 4s. I didn't jump on the 5, but I've stuck to the S cycle updates. I have the 2 weeks to decide, but I like hearing feedback from folks on the forum. Thanks

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What is bothering you about the 5S. The phone hasn't been out only about 3 months for anyone outside Apple to have long term physical reliability data. Software wise it's the latest phone in Apple's stable and should enjoy support for 3 or 4 more years, given past history.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The 4s has a nice heft to it. To me the new taller, thinner phones aren't has easy to hold or type on. I'd consider it more bendable in a bad way. Be nice to it and it'll be fine.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

The only problem i have noticed is the home button having a click sound sometimes. Hopefully it does not fail long term. Sometimes its smooth and sometimes i get the famous (something stuck inside) but works flawlessly.

5. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Maybe this is it. I just feel like it's flimsy and not durable. Not that the 4s could take a hit, but I felt like I was holding something significant. Internally...am I on base thinking that I'll be fine with the processor functionality for several years?

So far, I'm digging the finger print sensor and how smooth the phone is....the camera seems like a nice upgrade as well. I guess I just have to get through the idea that I have to move on from my 4s. It was a good phone, and the 5s is progress.

Thanks for the advice on being nice. It's already in a durable case. I tried to use it first and almost dropped it because it's so light. Anyway. I frequent the iMac forum and now look forward to this forum as well. Thanks folks.

6. brian1868 macrumors member

Hey, buddy! Been thinking about purchasing a new 5s, too. To me, 5s has a new design way much better than 4s, even than 5. It's thinner and lighter. With the gold model and touch ID, it seems an exquisite phone to me. Maybe I'm just a crazy apple fan. But I have made up my mind after watching your thread.:cool:

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I did the 4S to 5S transition. I felt the thinner phone would be much fragile. I have been wrong for thinking that.

5S has been durable. As per the home button clicking issue, it's a none issue for me. I've heard other phones click harder.

Also, I have fallen in love with the camera. Very capable device.

8. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Well. The more I use it, the more I like the 5s. It's definitely smoother and more fluid. Makes me want to replace my iPad 3.

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Switching from a 4S to a 5S i was amazed at how light the 5S is. Relax, a metal back is more durable than a sensitive glass back. Just get a case if you're worried about durability. Apple isn't known for building cheapo low-quality constructed products. Even the 5C feels nice and refined.

And yes ive actually tried to bend my iphone 5S and break it in half...granted i didn't put all my effort into it but its still in once piece. I was drunk don't judge me...

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I recently upgraded from a 4s as well and the 5s grew on me quickly and I don't regret the upgrade. I'm sure yours will last for years if you're not careless with it.

11. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

They do indeed bend if you keep them in your pocket and accidentally sit down! The weak area where it will bend is at the volume control divide of the phone.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

13. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I had my iPhone 5 from Frebuary to October-The aluminum kept chipping/bending/denting

I got a 5C in October and haven't had any issues at all! This phone is holding up WAY better.

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yes. I bought a launch day 5 last year and I kept it all of 4 days and took it back to keep my 4s until September. I went with the 5c because the 5s had the same things I despised about the 5... No problems at all

15. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the aluminum housing. My dad thinks I'm weird.

16. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

So far I'm liking the 5s. I put it in a case almost immediately because I'm worried that I'll drop or bend it. While the measurements are somewhat similar, it just seems so much thinner than my 4s. The 5s felt like it was going to slide out of my hand.
    I would say that anyone coming from a 4s should not hesitate. It's also so much smoother and faster from a software perspective. I've played a few higher end games, and it makes me hate my iPad 3.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

as long as you don't put the 5S in your ass pocket you will be fine :)

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Trust me I disliked it almost instantly when I seen the 5, but I tried it for a few days and couldn't do it.

20. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Take it back and wait for the 6.