Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman7722

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
So I bought both the 7 and 7 Plus in hopes of using both of them and deciding which one to keep.

After a couple days of owning both, I',M TORN.

I enjoy the better battery life of the plus and the potential of the dual lens camera.

Regarding the 7, the enjoy the one handed use and portability.

Unfortunately, I feel like the 7 Plus is just too big. And as a result of using the plus, the 7 feels so tiny.

Anybody else feel like they are torn between the 2? Or have any of you switched from the Plus down to the 7 or vice versa?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The design of the 7+ is the worst part of it. It is veritably huge compared to many similar screen size phones on the Android side and I fully expect Apple to tout how they managed to cram the same stuff in a smaller shell for the iPhone 8+ as if it's something new.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
First time Plus user here. I'm enjoying the bigger screen and think it would hard to go back. My wife has a 6S so when I want to compare I use Safari on her phone for a few minutes. So far, I always am glad I have the bigger phone to use.

That being said, I'm 6'4" with medium big hands.

gman7722

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
First time Plus user here. I'm enjoying the bigger screen and think it would hard to go back. My wife has a 6S so when I want to compare I use Safari on her phone for a few minutes. So far, I always am glad I have the bigger phone to use.

That being said, I'm 6'4" with medium big hands.

Good point. I think the individuals height/hand size definitely play a role. I'm 5'7 with larger-ish normal hands.
[doublepost=1474482446][/doublepost]
  1. Couldn't do anything one handed.
  2. Looked ridiculous in the pocket of my Skinny Jeans.
  3. Too big and bulky to use in bed while laying down.
  4. Slipper AF (used it with no case).

From my personal experience I agree and have experienced all 4 points you mentioned. I also never use a case so point 4 can't be emphasized enough.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I previously had a 6+ and currently using a Samsung GS7. Both are 5.5" phones, but the GS7 is much smaller and almost the same size as the 4.7" iPhones. For the 7, I decided to give the non-plus version a shot since i'm already used to the smaller size, but I don't get mine till Friday. I know i'll be ok with the smaller body size, but my only concern is the screen size.

1. Couldn't do anything one handed.
  2. Looked ridiculous in the pocket of my Skinny Jeans.
  3. Too big and bulky to use in bed while laying down.
  4. Slipper AF (used it with no case).
For me, only #1 applies, but can understand #3 as well. I felt my 6+ was bulky and one handed use was almost impossible. When I switched to the Samsung GS7, one handed use was easier with the exception of their being no bezel... On a number of occasions when I am reaching my thumb across the phone (left to right) I end up triggering something on the left part of the screen.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
So I bought both the 7 and 7 Plus in hopes of using both of them and deciding which one to keep.

After a couple days of owning both, I',M TORN.

I enjoy the better battery life of the plus and the potential of the dual lens camera.

Regarding the 7, the enjoy the one handed use and portability.

Unfortunately, I feel like the 7 Plus is just too big. And as a result of using the plus, the 7 feels so tiny.

Anybody else feel like they are torn between the 2? Or have any of you switched from the Plus down to the 7 or vice versa?

This is the same story with the 6/6+. Both phones are too big to pocket comfortably. So you may as well keep the bigger one because at least then you get the advantages that come from a phone that's too big. With the smaller one, you still have a phone that's uncomfortable to pocket; plus you get a phone that's too small to see comfortably and requires too much thumb flicking.

These are imperfect products. That's why the next iteration of the phone--getting rid of those dumb bezels--is so eagerly anticipated.

Reactions: kerrikins

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
First time plus user, I am loving it so far. I picked up my 6s after a few hours and it just didnt feel right. Once they shrink the bezels, I'll be even happier. I wear skinnier type jeans and have medium size hands, 6'2. Could play a factor.

tconed

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
United States
I also bought both. Ended up returning the 7 and keeping the plus. Love the size and the screen is much nicer. It all comes down to preference. I actually enjoyed the regular 7 because it was easier to carry and use, but the plus is where I'm comfortable the most.

gman7722

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
This is the same story with the 6/6+. Both phones are too big to pocket comfortably. So you may as well keep the bigger one because at least then you get the advantages that come from a phone that's too big. With the smaller one, you still have a phone that's uncomfortable to pocket; plus you get a phone that's too small to see comfortably and requires too much thumb flicking.

These are imperfect products. That's why the next iteration of the phone--getting rid of those dumb bezels--is so eagerly anticipated.

I'd probably keep the plus if I agreed with with what you said but for me I think the 7/6 pocket comfortably. Whereas the plus is on the verge of sticking out of my jean pockets.

Cowmonk

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
Edinburgh
I desperately want the smaller phone (have a 6+ atm), so cheesed off not being able to sit down when it's in my jeans' pocket.

I came so close to buying a 7 today - I'm struggling with it as I feel like I'm not getting the best (no 2nd camera excitement, less RAM). It's a lot of money to be buying something that feels inferior. I'd be happier if the price difference was greater.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
thankfully I've always known that the plus will be too big for my liking. My dainty hands wouldn't be able to handle its girth.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Always was a + user. I've noticed many people have jumped on the plus wagon this time around. Takes some time to get used to and one hand use is a bit difficult at first, but once you're used to it it's hard to go back.

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I too ordered both to give the plus a good try before deciding. I really wanted the new cameras on the plus but had never tried the Plus size before since I was coming from the iPhone 6. I got my plus last night and I just love it. I wish the bezels were a bit smaller to make it fit more easily in my hands but I think I will get used to it so I'm going to sell the 7 to a colleague if he wants it, otherwise it will go back to Apple Friday.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I'm 6'4" with big hands and I hated the 7+. For the life of me I could not manage one-handed use with it no matter what. Got the 7 and I'm so glad I did. Love the size.

Having said that, if apple manages to shave some of the top and bottom bezels in the next Plus I'd consider it.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I can't wait for all the people who wear skinning jeans look at themselves in photos in like 10 years. Just thought I would throw that out.

I'm 6'4" with big hands and I hated the 7+. For the life of me I could not manage one-handed use with it no matter what. Got the 7 and I'm so glad I did. Love the size.

Having said that, if apple manages to shave some of the top and bottom bezels in the next Plus I'd consider it.

I don't think making the bezel on the top is going to help you much.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
In the same boat here. Upgraded to a 7+ from a standard size 6 and am completely undecided myself. I actually keep going back and forth during the day with both to see which I prefer, but each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

To preface, I am a woman with small hands so many times the weight and width of the plus are a bother to me, but then again when I pick up the 6 it feels small. However, I really wonder if the standard 6 is more of a true phone size too.

I've only had the phone since Sunday so I'm going to give it up until my 14 day return period to see if I can get more used to it or not and then I'll decide. Just hope that I can make a decision at that time! lol

Odat

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Down South
I've had the 6 plus, 6s plus and now the 7 plus and there is no way I can go to a 7. The experience is so much richer with the plus. In the first couple of weeks I had the plus, I thought it was a little big but I got used to it and won't go back.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
I had the 6+ for a year and despite loving the phone, I had to go back to 4.7 inch so I just bought an iPhone 7. The Plus is an amazing phone but it has a massive footprint and it was usually cumbersome to carry it in my pocket. I am loving the 4.7 iPhone 7 portability and lightness in the pocket! I will only go back to Plus when Apple truly redesigns it by reducing bezels and consequently overall size.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I've had the bigger phone since the 6+. I love the big screen which shows more text and more of everything. I don't have large hands, but the size is not a negative to me. The device has never bothered me in my hand or in my pocket. My wife has the 6, and it feels way too small for me. It's a personal preference, but I love the larger phone.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I tried to go back to a smaller screen not that long ago. But after having the 6 plus and 6 a plus as well as many many android devices with large screens I cannot go back to the small size. I am accustom to the large size and love it.

Barrett85

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
I'm a girl, 5'4 and smallish hands. I've always owned the smaller sized phone but decided to try the plus this year. I LOVE it! I don't think I'll ever go back to the smaller size. Battery life and the camera are enough for me to keep it. I wear skinny jeans and have no trouble putting it in my back pocket. I can do lots of page scrolling and stuff with one hand. Typing is harder to do one handed but it can be done. I have a slim Kate spade case on right now and it's perfect! Gives the phone more grip and adds some style :)

Reactions: laurenbanjo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.