Purchased macbook pro / HE applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by radionickhead, Jun 28, 2009.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

Last year I purchased a 2.0 uMacbook, online via my university network (UK), and my applecare warranty was extended to 2011 for limited parts / labour.
    Two days ago I purches a 13" uMBP in-store with my student card and the warranty expires 2010 ?
    This strikes me as a little odd and im quite worried - Why don't I have the HE extended warranty?

2. alexrose99 macrumors newbie

Did you actually PURCHASE the AppleCare on your new machine (13")? Sounds like you bought it on your one last year and didn't this year. If you don't buy it you are limited to 1 year warranty.
    Further, instead of relying on our speculation, call Apple.

3. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

An Applecare warranty is for a single machine. It can be transfered to another machine, under certain circumstances, like the destruction of your previous machine, that still had coverage left.

I had that happen to my son with his Nano. A dog chewed his iPod, which obviously Apple wouldn't cover, but the balance is now on his new Nano.

Call Apple if you feel slighted.

4. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

No I didn't purchase any applecare last year.

5. afters macrumors member

Sometimes their system doesn't update your warranty status straight away and shows just the basic warranty. When I bought my white macbook this happened to me and for ages my warranty status said it would expire after a year, despite having bought the extra applecare for £60 and assuming it was auto enrol. Didn't matter though, as when I called up Apple after 18 months to have an issue resolved, I had no problems claiming on my applecare.

If you still need assurance, then just call Apple and confirm.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't know why we don't have a sticky about this, but here's how it works:

If you buy online from the Apple Store for Higher Education (located at http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk) or by telephone from the number listed on that site you will receive a FREE warranty extension to 3 years parts and labour. It's part of a contract which Apple has with Universities and it is available ONLY via these methods.

If you buy the computer from an Apple Retail Store or from an Apple Reseller (online or offline) you are NOT eligible for the free warranty extension. In the Apple Retail Store you are able to purchase AppleCare alongside your machine (at around a 75% discount, so for a MacBook it is about £50) but if you do not buy it at the time you buy your machine then it is much more expensive to buy it later.

Your machine says the warranty expires in 2010 because that's when it does expire. If you wanted longer then you should have ordered online or paid the extra for AppleCare at the time. If you still want the three year warranty, it will be £154.10 now.

7. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that got me annoyed...
    How on earth was I supposed to know that?
    Though I doubt it will help im going to call them tomorrow and have a fit.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Did anyone at the Apple Store mention that you were going to get a 3 year warranty or did you ask about it?

9. kuruption macrumors member

i got spiked by this as i didn't realise if you buy it in a retail store then you don't get the 3-year thing, oh well i managed 2 get the applecare for the discounted price (about £50) and next time i'm buying online!!!!

10. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

I asked about it but he had no idea about an HE warranty.
    He insisted that I bought applecare last year and I insisted I didn't - which I didn't, and I came to the conclusion that he had no idea what I was talking about so I just assumed it would be okay.
    I'm seriously pissed off about this.

11. will0407 macrumors 6502a

The special HE price for applecare is only available when you actually buy the laptop/imac, you won't be able to get it as cheap now if you wanted it

12. ktbken macrumors newbie

That is not correct the extended warranty is an option you have to select. Select a Mac on the site and scroll down to the bottom of the options and you will see it. It is discounted to £46 though. But for personal purchases it is not free.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, sorry you are wrong. All students, teachers and staff get the free 3 year parts and labour warranty when they buy a new Mac from the store I linked to. There is an option to upgrade to the standard AppleCare product at a significantly reduced cost, but all this entitles you to is longer telephone support.

Every student who buys a Mac from http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk gets a free 3 year parts and labour warranty.

14. Igantius macrumors 65816

neiltc13 is quite correct - further to the link he gave:

I've always got the free three-year warranty by buying HE, same as several colleagues.

Taken from http://www.apple.com/uk/education/nationalcontract/

15. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Is this applying only in UK or also in USA, for things bought in the Educational Store?

16. timrhancock macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info everyone. Does this still count if you haven't yet started uni? I have my place confirmed and will start in October. I obviously can't buy through the university network but can I still get the free three year support over the phone when I haven't started my course.

Also, would this effect the rebate offers on ipod touch and printer?

Thanks

17. enfanteribl macrumors member

That's annoying that it is free online, and £50 in store. I bought mine in store (just popped in 2 days after new MBPs were introduced) and they had them, and said they can sell them at HE price. Nobody said that the HE price gave you the free Applecare online. :mad:

18. ktbken macrumors newbie

I am am confused. I have over the last year purchased through the HE site a Mac book without choosing the apple care upgrade option which I have just checked and only has one year warranty and a Mac pro which I did chose the option for which has three years. Should I be chasing Apple for my missing 2 years on the Mac book

19. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

does this apply to US as well?

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I can't believe how much confusion there is over this, I thought it was pretty clear myself :p

• The offer is ONLY available in the UK.
    • The offer is ONLY available from http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk and by telephoning the number listed on that website.
    • Most UK Universities are eligible, and there are also a few colleges which are as well.
    • Apple has been offering the 3 year warranty to students for a while now. I remember buying the first Intel iMac and getting the deal.
    • The 3 year warranty is on top of the ~17% discount that you get from the store and it does not affect other offers such as the iPod/printer one.

What this means is that if you buy a Mac from http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk right now you will get:

Around 17% discount.
    3 years parts and labour warranty
    Free iPod touch 8GB
    Free printer

21. Igantius macrumors 65816

Is there any chance you could do a produce a diagram? ;)

22. NStocks macrumors 65816

So on top of the 3 years parts and labour, what can applecare give you :confused:. Just telephone support ?

EDIT : I bought it via tele sales, they DID tell me that 3 years was included, but I haven't got a email or document stating this ( although the previous model had it confirmed via email. I upgraded the model due to bad screens etc . )

23. JDee macrumors 6502a

Ok - read this if you are struggling to understand:

If you buy from a university network or a university store online (http://www.apple.com/uk_edu_77705) and buy the Apple Care WITH the computer, you will automatically get a discount.

For example - my recently purchased MacBook Pro I bought off website http://www.apple.com/uk_edu_77705 has Apple Care. I got it for £46 (see attachment)

If you go into the store, they will not give you that £46 price. It is to do with your university network and Apple probably don't have it on their systems in store.

With all university orders on computers, you get 3 years store support - you can bring it in to the store, but you only get telephone support (get Apple to send out a box to you to send it away) for a year like any other computer from Apple.

So let's run over that.

University computer but didn't buy Apple Care?
    1 year telephone support (like normal)
    2 years store support

University computer with Apple Care?
    3 years telephone and store support.

fanx!

Also - if your computer fails while on holiday / abroad, Apple stores will fix it there (it is global) - not so with the standard 3 year university plan.

Attached Files:

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No you have it wrong.

If you buy the computer from the website you listed you get the 3 year warranty for FREE. The £46 extra is for full AppleCare, but all that includes on top of the FREE version is extended telephone support.

The discounted AppleCare price (it's £46 on this model, but it varies depending on which computer you buy) is generally around 75% off, and it is available in-store.

As for global coverage, I'm not sure on this one.

25. JDee macrumors 6502a

You're saying I'm wrong when I said exactly what you are saying (except the global bit) in your post??