Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I would like to purchase my next new phone being the iPhone X.
I got my current iPhone SE from a GSM shop in Europe using a SIM card from my carrier.

My question is, when purchasing a new iPhone from the Apple Store, it says that I need to select a carrier.
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-x#00

Now this part is a bit confusing to me. The reason being, will I first need to speak with my selected carrier and select my plan options and then once that is done, then after that I can order the iPhone X? Will the carrier offer me a SIM card, or as I read on the ordering page, will Apple provide the phone along with a SIM card based on my carrier plan?

I do not want to pay a monthly price for the phone, all I want, is an Unlocked iPhone X paying the full amount (being $999). That's all I want.

Please explain in detail on what steps I need to take when purchasing a new iPhone when in the US.

Thanks

Last edited:

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
All you need to do is order online, select Verizon as your carrier, and choose “activate later”. No carrier info or contact needed, and the phone you receive will be unlocked.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
or just pickup in store when they have them. But purchasing online as listed above and selecting activate later works just as well.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Ok, thanks.

But I really want to use T-Mobile. And there is no Activate Later option.

So for example, if I select T-Mobile and selecting the full payment option, will the phone be GSM unlocked?
And will I first need to get myself a SIM card from T-Mobile or Apple will provide a T-Mobile with the new iPhone X?
And since I will be selecting the Full Payment option for the 64GB version ($999), how will my payment plans be after getting the new iPhone?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
All you need to do is order online, select Verizon as your carrier, and choose “activate later”. No carrier info or contact needed, and the phone you receive will be unlocked.
Help me understand something. Wasn't there a time (and I can't seem to remember the word) where T-Mobile and ATT smartphones were incompatible with Verizon and Sprint because of _____________? Something to do with network, or coverage, or bands. I remember something about not being able to use Verizon and Sprint phones overseas/International, because other countries use __________? What was the word and is this not the case anymore by ordering a Verizon (unlocked) iPhone X?

(EDIT) I think the words I'm looking for is that ATT and T-Mobile smartphones are GSM and Sprint and Verizon are ___________. And because international countries utilize GSM, that Sprint and Verizon phones don't work. Maybe this is all antiquated.

(EDIT) GSM versus CDMA. These were the words I couldn't think of.

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Help me understand something. Wasn't there a time (and I can't seem to remember the word) where T-Mobile and ATT smartphones were incompatible with Verizon and Sprint because of _____________? Something to do with network, or coverage, or bands. I remember something about not being able to use Verizon and Sprint phones overseas/International, because other countries use __________? What was the word and is this not the case anymore by ordering a Verizon (unlocked) iPhone X?

On iPhone 7, 8, and X, At&t and T-Mobile only work on At&t and T Mobile. Verizon model works on all carriers.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Ok, thanks.

So for example, if I select T-Mobile and selecting the full payment option, will the phone be GSM unlocked?
And will I first need to get myself a SIM card from T-Mobile or Apple will provide a T-Mobile with the new iPhone X?
And since I will be selecting the Full Payment option for the 64GB version ($999), how will my payment plans be after getting the new iPhone?
This is because T-Mobile never asked for carrier account info at all so it won't ask you for it. All you need to do is order and when you receive it, simply remove the SIM card.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Ok, thanks.

You don't need to purchase an iPhone for T-Mobile. The Verizon version will work on all major GSM carriers and will be the basis of the SIM-Free iPhone in the USA when it becomes available. If you don't plan to ever need to support a CDMA carrier then just order the T-Mobile iPhone X, it will come with a T-Mobile SIM and be ready to activate on T-Mobile.

If you purchased the Verizon Model maximum flexibility in the future, you can purchase a T-Mobile SIM kit if you really want to use T-Mobile in the USA. Just take out the Verizon supplied one from the Apple Store.

Dave

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
So what would be my best option for purchasing a new iPhone X that is unlocked when paying the Full price of the phone from an Apple Store and still be able to use the phone with ANY other SIM card and even use it internationally as well?

So here a few questions below:

1. What Carrier should I select?
2. Even when paying the full price amount for the phone, how would I pay for the cellular and data plan when the phone will come with a pre-installed SIM card?
3. Since GSM is used throughout Europe and the world, would T-Mobile be a better option to select?
Preferably, I really want T-Mobile.

But my main question and concern, is that even when paying the full price amount for the phone from the Apple Store, then what are the cheapest payment plans afterwards for calling and internet?

Sorry, to be so retarded at this, but in Europe its easier, because I have a SIM card in my phone, and when my calling credits are up, I go to a newspaper stand and get my credits refilled again paying in cash.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Does Europe use CDMA? If not, then the T-mobile model will just do fine. Unless your carrier you go with has CDMA then you could get the Verizon model.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
No, Europe does not use CDMA, only GSM.

So that being said, that the Apple Store will provide a T-Mobile SIM already in the phone, then how will I go about paying my calls and the internet service even though I will pay the full price of the phone?

Its hard for me to believe, that when ordering a phone from the Apple Store with paying the full amount price, all I have to do is Activate the phone and after that everything will be unlimited to use like calls, SMS, and internet?

So this would be my main concern, is that even when paying the full price amount for the phone from the Apple Store, then what are the payment plans afterwards for calling, SMS, and internet?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Quick answers:

1. Any of the 4 Carriers that Apple Store supports. T-Mobile and Verizon can currently be "purchase" for in store pick up without entering any carrier account information. You just order, pay and pick up at the store. If you want to go to the store and do a walk-in purchase, see item 2 below.

2. If you pay Full Price, you can do what is know as a "Device Only" purchase and you don't need to activate a plan on any USA carrier.

3. Again, you can use any of the 4 Models sold by Apple.

Again, full price purchase does not require a carrier plan. You can use a prepaid nano-SIM here in the USA and when you return to Europe then you just put in your European choice of nano-SIM and you are good to go.

Dave

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
No, Europe does not use CDMA, only GSM.

So being said, that the Apple Store will provide a T-Mobile SIM already in the phone, then how will I go about paying my calls and the internet service even though I will pay the full price of the phone?

Its hard for me to believe, that when ordering a phone from the Apple Store with paying the full amount price, all I have to do is Activate the phone and after that everything will be unlimited to use like calls, SMS, and internet?

So this would be my main concern, is that even when paying the full price amount for the phone from the Apple Store, then what are the payment plans afterwards for calling, SMS, and internet?
Just take out the SIM Card that was included and install the one you have. There will be no issues doing this.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Ok, got it. Confusing at first, but at least this is a bit clearer now.
I think it would be better to just walk into a local Apple Store that have the iPhone X available and then ask them for any other additional questions.

Thanks!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
.....Its hard for me to believe, that when ordering a phone from the Apple Store with paying the full amount price, all I have to do is Activate the phone and after that everything will be unlimited to use like calls, SMS, and internet?

Let's backup a step. How long are you planning to use the iPhone X here in the USA before returning to Europe?

No service is provided by purchasing the iPhone X. If you want to actually use it here in the USA, you will need a carrier. You have the option of prepaid or post-paid accounts with a variety of smaller / cheaper carriers than the big 4 of Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.

Dave

Last edited:

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
So what would be my best option for purchasing a new iPhone X that is unlocked when paying the Full price of the phone from an Apple Store and still be able to use the phone with ANY other SIM card and even use it internationally as well?

So here a few questions below:

1. What Carrier should I select?
2. Even when paying the full price amount for the phone, how would I pay for the cellular and data plan when the phone will come with a pre-installed SIM card?
3. Since GSM is used throughout Europe and the world, would T-Mobile be a better option to select?
Preferably, I really want T-Mobile.

But my main question and concern, is that even when paying the full price amount for the phone from the Apple Store, then what are the cheapest payment plans afterwards for calling and internet?

Sorry, to be so retarded at this, but in Europe its easier, because I have a SIM card in my phone, and when my calling credits are up, I go to a newspaper stand and get my credits refilled again paying in cash.

Unless you plan to live and use the phone in the states, you shouldn't have to worry about payment plans. The verizon phone is sim free, just take the sim it comes with and throw it out and put your own sim in. The t-mobile and att phones are unlocked as well (provided you buy them in an apple store), again just take the sim out and put yours in. Simple. Don't forget to factor in tax as well for that $999 price tag. You aren't obligated to buy a cellular or payment plan with the phone if you buy it full price unlocked from an apple store.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I intend to stay permanently, since my contracting job will end here in Europe shortly after being there almost a decade.

So, in that case, lets get back to my previous question then. Lets say I want to order the iPhone X from the Apple Store in the USA when I return, so what is the best steps to purchasing a new Unlocked phone at the full amount price? I prefer T-Mobile since there all GSM based. And who knows, I may be working globally again abroad. But that's unclear.

Also, is there a similar plan like in Europe, where there, I had a SIM card in my iPhone SE, and whenever my credits ran out, I had to always go into a newspaper stand and they would refill my SIM card credits after paying them in cash.

Is there anything similar there in the US as far as payments go?

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I'm intend to stay permanently, since my contracting job will end here in Europe shortly.

So, in that case, lets get back to my previous question then. Lets say I want to order the iPhone X from the Apple Store in the USA when I return, so what is the best steps to purchasing a new Unlocked phone at the full amount price?
Please list them.

Also, is there a similar plan like in Europe, where there, I had a SIM card in my iPhone SE, and whenever my credits ran out, I had to always go into a newspaper stand and they would refill my SIM card credits after paying them in cash.
Is there anything similar there in the US as far as payments go?

You'll want a prepay option than. But it's not at a newspaper store. It's monthly and automatically deducted. Look at TMobile, straight talk, cricket.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I would really greatly appreciate the steps in detail as to explain to me on how would I go about purchasing an unlocked iPhone X in the States from the Apple Store paying in full price for the phone. Does not have to be at this moment, but it would be very helpful. Just please list the steps. I would prefer going with T-Mobile GSM. Before purchasing the phone from the Apple Store, do I need to speak with a carrier such as T-Mobile to discuss my payment plan options?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Hey Thanks. This is "EXACTLY" the chart I was referring to, but couldn't earlier explain - GSM/CDMA compatability.
[doublepost=1511131772][/doublepost]
Does Europe use CDMA? If not, then the T-mobile model will just do fine. Unless your carrier you go with has CDMA then you could get the Verizon model.
From my research years ago, International, both Asia and Europe utilizes GSM. Only here in America and small parts of the world may carriers still be using CDMA, which is why GSM is the best way to go when choosing a smartphone. This whole GSM / CDMA confusion was my primary reason for always waiting to purchase the SIM-FREE / FACTORY-UNLOCKED iPhones as my assurance that it will work everywhere I go.

I'm hoping the X Sim-Free will be readily available by end of Dec. If not, I'll take the advice from those here and get the Verizon or T-Mobile X as that chart that GGJstudios uploaded indicated will be compatible for both GSM & CDMA.

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
I would really greatly appreciate the steps in detail as to explain to me on how would I go about purchasing an unlocked iPhone X in the States from the Apple Store paying in full price for the phone. Does not have to be at this moment, but it would be very helpful. Just please list the steps. I would prefer going with T-Mobile GSM. Before purchasing the phone from the Apple Store, do I need to speak with a carrier such as T-Mobile to discuss my payment plan options?

If you are paying in full from the Apple Store, you don't need to talk to any carrier. Paying in full at the Apple Store will get you an unlocked model. All iPhone X models are GSM, it's just the Verizon/Sprint model also have a CDMA compatible Qualcomm modem, while the AT&T/Tmobile model have an Intel modem with no CDMA. So the Verizon model will be most compatible with all networks, if you want to use a CDMA provider later on if you choose to.

1. Go into an Apple Store, tell them you want to buy an iPhone X "device only" with no activation(again doesn't matter which model).
2. Insert your SIM card
3. Done

Reactions: ET iPhone Home

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Just as those here indicated, you walk into Apple and purchase the Verizon phone outright full price without activation. Remove the sim and insert yours and set up as you would normally do a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.