Purchasing decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AA357, Jul 9, 2012.

1. AA357 macrumors newbie

Hello...so forgive me if this is in the wrong section but I am contemplating an iMac among other Apple systems nad need some advice.

I spent nearly an hour in Best Buy yesterday trying out iStat pro and seeing how it responded to various tasks on the computer - flash video, HTML5 videos, rendering a movie in iMovie, etc. Part of why I'm posting this is that I didn't get satisfactory data to help me. For example, on the iMac, it was the only system that had the ambient temperature correct, which I would have guessed to be in the upper 70's. All other systems in the store that I put iStat on had the ambient temperature in the low 100's. All temps are in fahrenheit, too.

The iMac HDD temperature stayed a relatively constant 130F or so. Now I've read enough reviews were people were freaking out about temperatures and I've heard enough of "that's nothing to worry about" to gag me. I've read some technical articles about the inverse relationship between HDD temperatures and longevity and the relationship seems clear and it's not good

130 F for the HDD under no load was high compared to the MBP and MBA whcih ran at 85 and 99, respectively. My problem with the MBP is the only one I can do is the 13" but I have a problem with the screen resolution being so low. If only I could do the 15" but I can't right now.

I was very close to doing the MBA but the lack of a gigabit ethernet port is a deal breaker for me. Still trying to get an idea of how much of a hit Internet speeds will take by using a USB or Thunderbolt adapter to cable connect Internet.

I thought about the Mini too but it has another downside that is why I passed on the Air - dual core processors. I probably have to do something in the next 6 weeks so depending on when they do the refresh, I may or may not have time to wait.

I use an iMac for work and one thing that bothers me immensely about it is the reflection on the screen. That's one advantage to the Air or Mini were it not for the other aforementioned issues.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, just trying to make a decision. Nothing stands out so I know I'm going to have to compromise on something - just not sure where it should be.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow ... my suggestion is that you buy whatever you want. They're all designed to not combust by itself so you don't have to worry about temperature. My Mac is generally around 60c (140f) on good days, and goes to an upward of 85c (185f) depending on how I use it. It's a 13inch Macbook Pro that is a few years old. You're not going to find anything if you search by temperature output.

I'm a bit confused with what you want, anyways. MBA doesnt have ethernet, Macbook Pro 13" has too low resolution, iMac has glare, MacMini - processor. :confused::confused:

Maybe look at a refurbished 15 inch Macbook Pro at Apple.com. They look and work like brand new.

3. MagicThief83, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

See my post "MacBook Air to hold me over" as it present several views on getting a current gen MBA over an outdated, last gen iMac. I think you'll find it useful. I had the same dilemma as you, but decided to get a MBA, as we really have no idea when the iMacs will be refreshed. I'd rather spend money on updated hardware, rather than old technology. That's just my two cents!

Here's the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1397763

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

True, but remember the "old" technology still beats the Macbook Air (with the exception of the SSD) and won't suddenly become broken when new iMacs emerge. ;)

Really depends on what he needs.

5. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

In terms of raw processing power, the iMac pummels the current gen MBA hands down! However, the MBA has several advantages - Ivy Bridge, Faster SSD (which you already mentioned), and 1600MHz RAM versus the iMacs 1333 MHz. It really does depend on what the OP needs, but if he's in the market for an iMac, I'd highy suggest that he wait if he truly wants to get his money's worth! I really couldn't stand waiting anymore (my sanity was on the brink of destruction). Also, CPU temperature and heat dissipation were concerns of his. If he considers this to truly be a deciding factor, then he surely should wait for the Ivy Bridge iMacs as the IB chips run cooler and dissipate heat more efficiently :)

6. AA357 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the great info. Is there any hint when IB might be released in the MBP's, iMacs, or Minis? I'd strongly consider a mini if I could get one with IB.

Does anyone know how much of a hit your Internet speeds take on the Air when using an adapter?

7. BSoares macrumors regular

Internet speeds should not suffer at all. It's a Gigabit adapter on Thunderbolt (which is 10Gb). I don't think your internet is over 1Gb but if it is then I'm wrong.

With speeds that most homes have even wifi is plenty fast for that.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Even a 100Mbps adapter over USB2 will not cause a bottleneck if you're only using the internet. The bottleneck will still be your ISP's speed - unless you're one of the few who has an ISP with over 100Mbps connections.

9. AA357 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is everyone's experience with the glare on the machines? The one I use for work drives me absolutely nuts. I've heard about films, etc that you can put on the screen but I dunno about that or if they work. Seems beyond me they haven't fixed this yet.

10. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

If you've used one and find the glare annoying then haven't you already answered your own question?

11. Roller macrumors 68020

Depends on where the computer is. I have a 2009 iMac with the glass panel in front of the LCD, but it's in a home office facing a wall with no lights, so glare isn't a problem. There's a possibility that the next iMac will have a lower-glare display, but we won't know that until it's announced. Since there's a possibility that'll happen next week when Mountain Lion is released, I'd hold off until then, at least.