Purchasing iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mifka, Dec 29, 2007.

  1. mifka macrumors member


    Dec 21, 2007
    Next week I will switch from my PC to my first iMac, but i'm affraid that after aproximately 2 weeks on macworld will appear an updated iMac and i'll regret for not waiting 2 weeks. I don't know what to do, wait or bye now .Advice me please.
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
  3. peejack macrumors 6502a

    Aug 7, 2007
    I don't think anything will happen with the iMac's, maybe just a small speed boost, but they are great as they are.
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    The next show wont have anything to do with iMac.
  5. czachorski macrumors 6502a


    Sep 24, 2007
    Last year at this show they announced the iPhone and Apple TV and not a word about Macs. The iMacs were just re-designed, so the worst that can happen is a minor speed bump, which is unlikely at this show. They will want to highlight more top-shelf items.
  6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601


    Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    If the iMac's get an update (CPU and/or GPU), I don't think it will necessarily be announced during the keynote, but it would still be updated that day. I would wait for MacWorld just to see if it gets the new mobile Penryns in it. Even if it's not a HUGE speed bump, etc... the current iMacs that are out now should go down in price.
  7. Tonerl Guest

    The Right Time to Buy?

    There's never a 'right' time to buy any piece of technology if you worry about what's coming next.

    If you're buying a computer, your requirements should matter more than 'the next big thing'. I've just got my first Mac (an iMac) and am very pleased with it: it does everything that I wanted and more. Will I care if Apple launches a completely revised iMac? Not a whit!
  8. Amblinman macrumors regular

    Jul 31, 2007
    As one of the posters said previously, you should not wait for "the right moment" when it comes to technology. I can promise you no matter when you buy, there will be something better released a few months later, and the price of the tech you're using will drop. No way around it.

    I just bought an iMac for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. I'll follow MacWorld for all the cool stuff announced, but I won't have a twinge of regret should a new iMac come out. The one I own is awesome and fits my needs perfectly. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
  9. CKtoph macrumors 6502

    Nov 22, 2007
    I was under the same dilemma a week ago, but after talking to a number of people in the Mac world, I decided to go ahead and make the purchase.

    Most are confident that there will be no major update to the iMacs, seeing as how they were just given a big boost in August. Also, I got myself a refurbed iMac for a very good price through Apple, so I'm pretty happy with my purchase :D
  10. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

    Mar 21, 2007
    If you're going to get the low-end 20" model, I'd go ahead and buy. If you were looking at the upper 20" or the 24" inch then it's worth a little bit of a wait. The 2600PRO is a ridiculously underpowered video card considering the price of those units (especially the 24"). I would not be surprised to see upgraded GPUs at some point (if only as a bto option) as the 24" is screaming for something a little bit more peppy, especially since ATI has refined their thermals since the 2000 series.
  11. jvette macrumors 6502


    Dec 29, 2007
    I have to agree with the above. I am also new to the Imac and have to say if there is anything that I think is lacking about the computer it is the graphics on the Imac. Don't get me wrong, I love the 24", 2.8 that I purchased but for the price I wouldn't have minded paying another couple of hundred for a better video card.
  12. jbg232 macrumors 65816


    Oct 15, 2007
    Most likely it is a 10% chance. I polled this awhile ago and here are the results

Share This Page