Purchasing the next iPhone through Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Aug 16, 2016.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I like to purchase the phone directly from Apple. I'm with AT&T. In anticipation of the new phones I was looking at their site.

For the next iPhone, will Apple offer AT&T Next plans as a purchase option? I currently only see the AT&T Next every year plan that has you paying off the phone after one year, instead of the 2 year cycle.

Obviously they want you to buy it from Apple with their upgrade every year program, so there is incentive for them to only have the "every year" AT&T plan. Since Apple's plan comes with Apple Care it seems like the better deal, so more people would choose to go with Apple directly.

TL;DR: Can I buy an iPhone from Apple with the AT&T Next (30 month installment plan) at launch?

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Waiting for replies. I also want to buy directly from Apple. Not trying to hijack thread.

3. gurase macrumors regular

I can't speak to the Next plan options, but Applecare isn't free on the Apple upgrade plan. It's rolled into the monthly cost. You can purchase Applecare separately with Next and it will work out to the same total cost as the Apple upgrade plan.

4. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Good to know.

5. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I also have the same dilemma ....to buy it from Apple or stay on my Next plan. It does all work out the same...either with or without AppleCare.

At launch tho I want to get it from the Apple site, they seem to be more reliable. Trying to pre-order through AT&T has proven to be a nightmare. Website crashing, long wait times etc...

6. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple offered a 2 year purchase plan without involving the carrier...

7. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I would just buy it unlocked and outright - I'm within a mile of the Apple store.

8. Alexrat1996 Suspended

Can AT&T Premier customers order from Apple site or has to be through carrier

9. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

In the past you had to go through AT&T's website and the last time I was Premier with my company I swore I'd never do it again because it seemed to hang the order process. However, if you review the threads from the past two iPhone pre-orders, sometimes it looks like Premier customers got their phones much sooner than regular customers. Your mileage may vary.

10. Alexrat1996 Suspended

So my line not on premier so you mean I can order mine from Apple but my dad line is premiere via AT&T do I have to order his via AT&T page

11. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

As long as your line is eligible, you can order either via your carrier or Apple.

12. Alexrat1996 Suspended

thanks my line on the contract but it ends on the 23 next month but when I check elgiblity it says elgible AT&T next upgrade does it mean I can upgrade early thank for responding the moment you responded I just finished a whole new post about it right responded

13. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Here's what I've found. If when the new phone releases....if you plan to upgrade via your carrier (either through their website or Apple, your line will need to be eligible)

However, if you plan to do the Apple Upgrade Program (AUP) it does not matter. I actually have a phone on a payment plan right now on my line. I just started it too....I went to the Apple website yesterday now that they do the AUP online now, in order to see if it would allow me to start the program even tho my line is not even remotely eligible. It worked!

Last year I also got a phone on the AUP and AT&T tried to convince me that since my line was ineligible at the time that I could not to the AUP. WRONG!!!! The AUP is completely separate from the carriers.

This is why I love the AUP....

14. Alexrat1996 Suspended

Both are elgible is it better for me to reserve both iPhone online so I can get get them at Apple Store so my dad can start apple plan or go with AT&T next I check mine it does not say primer but on my dad it does

15. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

My experiences have been better ordering through Apple. So you have 2 options. Use your AT&T Next but do it via the Apple website. Or from the website you can also do the AUP now. The main differences are the Next are through AT&T of course. And the phone will not have AppleCare.

The AUP includes AppleCare and both offer an upgrade each year. (With the Next, you can upgrade as soon as you pay 50% of your phone).

16. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I might do AT&T next plan but via Apple iOS online store app but buy the apple care separate on both or the apple plan with Apple I can get iPhone 8 next year

If I do it via AT&T next is there a setting in the apple online store app so it can store the at&t information with the telephone number I will be using to upgrade so it can speed up process with out me having to re enter the account info I would like to order both on same Apple ID but one on the iPhone that I will be upgrading and the second iPhone on my iPad

17. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I am not sure. I have always had to enter everything separately when doing mine and my husbands phone upgrade/orders. Each has a different phone number...

18. Alexrat1996 Suspended

When I do preorder I have to put each telphone number separate I want upgrade then it will take me to the AT&T account of my dad right via the apple online store app right

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Actually they do, at least in the US. You can pay off your new phone over 24 months with no interest or carrier involvement, and this is separate from the Apple Upgrade Plan. This one doesn't include AC+.

It's also only available in-store I believe.

20. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yes each number will be separate

21. Alexrat1996 Suspended

After I put each number separate will it ask me for the information to my dad AT&T account sorry for asking I don't remember how I preordered last year

22. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yea it will ask you all the information each time.

23. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

That's how I did it the first year I did the pre-order (iPhone 5). Because I was Premier I didn't get an email stating the order had completed until the next morning. I did get my phone delivered on launch day though. I just remember there being a snag and because the Premier folks are not home at 2am when I was trying to do the pre-order I had to wait until the next day for it to complete.

This year I will order through Apple simply because tracking is much more accurate and you get notified right as it leaves China. If you order through AT&T you will hear nothing about your order until the day or two before it actually ships from their warehouse in Kentucky (I think) to you.

24. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

25. Alexrat1996 Suspended

Since I'm on primer on my dad line not mine should I order it via the apple online app for both orders of the phone