Purplera1n 3Gs jailbreak for Mac is out

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Compile 'em all, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

2. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Okay, so what does using purplera1n mean later down the road when dev Team gets a jb?

Also, do I still need to back up those two files everyone seems so worried about?

And finally, does Ultrasn0w work with this?

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

the Dev has said wait!

but clearly the choice is up to a individual. they have said to wait and that it might risk if you want to jailbreak in the future, nobody knows not even the DEV team and probably not Apple. Purplerain is not from the Dev team from a 19 kid. I have seen multiple thread some with succes other bricking there phones with purple rain what you do is up too you and 1st you unlock then you Jailbreak if you don't know how then it's at your own risk and still even so!

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

My 1st JB ever. Looks fine. Cydia asks me to update some packages, shall I do it ?

5. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Yes update Cydia as this updates core files. Purplera1n has been working great and he is a real talented person. Hopefully Purplera1n continues to be supported even if/when the dev team releases their JB. Purplera1n does not force you to restore in order to JB.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it has been working perfectly well for me so far!

7. abz786 macrumors 6502

after using http://purplera1n.com/ jailbreak, how are people finding the iPhone3GS? Slower then usual after you jailbreak or speeds are fine?
    Does this mean that when the unlock is out from the dev team that we won't be able to use it?
    I am just a tad nervous when it comes to the jailbreaking part, i don't want to mess anything up, hence so many questions.

Thanks

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

hmmm... okay, maybe i will finally bite the bullet. any word on winterboard? if it isn't working, do we know if it'll just be a winterboard update to fix it? or will we need to rejailbreak to fix it?

9. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I have been using the JB since it was released without any issues. Everything has been very smooth so far. If you decide to not like it you can just restore and JB is gone. I read in another thread that people were using the purplera1n JB with ultrasn0w to unlock, i have not tried this however since I am on AT&T no don't need to unlock. No slow down in fact backgrounder and all other things i have tried seem to work much better since the phone has more resources.

10. abz786 macrumors 6502

Thanks for your prompt response. So now that the phone is jailbroken, we can SSH into the phone and make modifications of course right?

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

so far this has been working well. my only issue is that when trying to use the g-maps app as well as slacker radio, the phone wont let both applications use their audio at the same time. also spotlight does not search my hidden apps.

i am going back to 3.0 non jb for the time being. hopefully apple will release their 3.1 update soon so i can jb through dev team, but i doubt these issues will be fixed :(

i do have to hand it to geohot though, this was a very simple jb, much simpler and easier than dev team!

12. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

That was the easiest, fastest jailbreak yet... worked perfectly for me!

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Any 3G-esque slowdowns?

14. abz786 macrumors 6502

soo does winterboard work? iPhone3GS JB???

These are the main questions i need answered, then off i go home after work and jb my phone :p

15. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

While I have not tried it, I have read that Winterboard still does not work.

16. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Thanks to all responding.

Still waiting for the answer to the Ultrasn0w question. Does ultrasn0w work with this?

Also-what about the two files from iTunes that Apple sends to the GS?

I really need an answer to these questions PLEASE. The answers to them will determine whether I go to 3 GS or stick with the 3G.

17. abz786 macrumors 6502

i have heard that ultrasnow is working:

:"Originally Posted by lillstar12
    Hmm okay fixed the wifi issue , just restored re jailbroke but this time i used my mac and not windows.....

....Just prooves again macs are the way forward

Im now loving my iphone 3GS unlocked and fully operational
    "

winterboard still up there right now, and will wait for the confirmed answer!

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

anyone know if its possible to use g-maps and slacker radio at the same time using backgrounder? if slacker is running in the background and so is g-maps.. i can only have one apps audio work :(

19. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

20. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Yeah I'm using it successfully.

21. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Uh oh, ran into a problem. I installed qTweeter and now Springboard keeps going into Safe Mode.

Attempting to uninstall...

Uninstalled and good to go! Word of advice: Don't install qTweeter. ;-)

22. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

100% works on my factory unlocked 3Gs. Enjoy! :cool:

23. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

24. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

It sounds like you have not had to do this:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4400

This is the process to back up certain temp files from itunes.

Does anyone using purplera1n have to do this?

Why is this such a big deal for dev team? They provided the link to the tutorial for it. If purplera1n doesn't need it, why are people backing these up?

Help! :confused: :confused::confused:

25. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i didnt look any of that up. all i did was click the button and my iphone was jailbroken. very easy.